Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 11 October 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.37am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold the following briefings in closed session: DCAL briefing on MAGUS’ consultation on the Development and Research Strategy and Grant Scheme; and Derry City Council regarding UK City of Culture 2013.

1. DCAL briefing on the Ministerial Advisory Group on the Ulster Scots Academy Consultation on the Development and Research Strategy and Grant Scheme

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.41am:

Head of Languages and Waterways Ireland Branch, Mr Jerome Dawson;

Chairperson, MAG on the Ulster Scots Academy, Dr Bill Smith; and

Secretary, MAG on the Ulster Scots Academy, Mr Brian McTeggart.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 10.41am.

A question and answer session followed.

Miss Michelle McIlveen made a declaration that she is a former member of the Ulster Scots Academy Implementation Group.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.56am.

Mr David Hilditch made a declaration that he was Chair of two project teams which were recipients of grants.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a former Director of the Ulster Scots Community Network, former Board Member of Ulster Scots Agency and former member of the Ulster Scots Academy Implementation Group.

Agreed: Officials agreed to return to the Committee to brief it on the synopsis and analysis of the consultation responses at a later date.  

The officials left the meeting at 11.30am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.30am.  

The meeting moved into open session at 11.31am.

2. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

3. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 27 September and 02 October 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 27 September and 02 October 2012.

4. Matters Arising         

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development for the terms of reference and progress of the working group that was set up to consider the ownership of Lough Neagh.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 11.32am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Lough Neagh Co-operative Society to ascertain its policies and procedures regarding the issue of licences; and to request research from RAISE on the operation of co-operative societies. 

The Committee noted that the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development is receiving a briefing from the Loughs Agency on Tuesday 16 October.

The Committee noted correspondence from Culture Company 2013 on securing sponsorship and agreed to defer any questions until the latter’s briefing to the Committee on 18 October 2012.  

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding engagement with MAGUS and the Ulster Scots Agency in advance of the publication of the consultation on Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to review the Hansard Report of the Department’s briefing on the consultations on draft strategies for Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture, and to raise any comments or suggested action at next week’s meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department outlining its concerns regarding the simultaneous publication of two consultations directed at the Ulster Scots community, requesting that measures are implemented to raise awareness of both documents.  

5. Briefing from DCAL regarding Evaluation of the Communities Festivals Fund

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.38am:

Head of Arts Branch, Mr Gerard Murray; and

Head of Economic Services Unit, Mr Patrick Neeson.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.42am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.09pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 12.13pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.17pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.17pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.19pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.19pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department outlining concerns raised in relation to some aspects of the recommendations contained in the evaluation; and to request research from RAISE on the evaluation report including methodology, conclusions and recommendations. 

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.20pm.

6. Derry City Council briefing regarding UK City of Culture 2013

Mr Cathál Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a Member of Derry City Council.

The following official joined the meeting at 12.24pm:

Town Clerk and Chief Executive of Derry City Council, Ms Sharon O’Connor.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.24pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.26pm.

Mr William Humphrey returned to the meeting at 12.26pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.40pm. 

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.48pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.55pm.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he a Member of Belfast City Council.

Mr William Irwin returned to the meeting at 1.03pm.

The official left the meeting at 1.15pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister seeking assurances on the successful delivery of UK City of Culture 2013; and to consider issuing a press release following Derry City Council’s briefing.   

The meeting moved into open session at 1.20pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 1.20pm.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister providing copies of her NSMC statements on Inland Waterways and Language Body meetings.

The Committee noted the invitation to Braid Boxing Club and members agreed to attend.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to sponsor the Arts Council’s reception for a delegation attending the 6th Intercultural Practice Exchange conference on 15 November 2012. 

The Committee noted the invitation from the Culture Company to attend the launch of UK City of Culture 2013 programme.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Newry and Portadown branch of the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland to see the work of the volunteers in restoring locks along the Canal.

The Committee noted correspondence from OFCOM regarding the granting of a digital local TV licence to Northern Visions.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted correspondence from the Chairperson of the Health Committee regarding the Chair’s participation at the “Youth Talks” event.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 1.24pm.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed changes to the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting           

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 18th October at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.27pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
18 October 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us