Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 11 April 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.36am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 21 March 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 21 March 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on developments in EU regulation for the recovery of European Eel stocks.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding the monitoring of Post Project Evaluations.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 10.40am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to keep a watching brief on the issues highlighted in the Minister's response to the Committee's motion on grassroot and elite sport facilities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should carry out a scoping exercise for a visit to Glasgow and Edinburgh around the Commonwealth Games and Community Sports Hubs.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 10.42am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Minister's letter regarding competitive cycling facilities to Mr Anthony Mitchell.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 10.43am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward letters from the Minister and Ulster GAA onto the Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Group regarding the redevelopment of Casement; and to write to the Minister for her assessment of any issues around the timescale for delivery of the project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to IFA for an update on its meeting with the management of CAFRE Campus regarding IFA accessing the campus' sports facilities.

The Committee noted the correspondence from NILGA regarding schools access to council facilities.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.48am.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Disability Sport NI regarding its Development Plan.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding the list of contractors on DCAL's major capital projects.

4. Briefing from NILGA on the Committee's Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The Chair made a declaration that she is a past teacher at Grosvnor Grammar School.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold an event at Grosvnor Grammar School as part
of the Investigation into Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure remit.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.55am:

Chief Executive of NILGA, Mr Derek McCallan;
Chief Executive of Banbridge District Council, Mr Liam Hannaway; and
Assistant Director of Leisure Services of Lisburn City Council, Mr Brendan Courtney.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey joined the meeting at 11.11am.

Agreed: NILGA agreed: to forward a report outlining local council's processes for child protection and safeguarding by the end of May; and to raise concerns regarding the perceived role of disability champions in local councils to the Association.

The officials left the meeting at 11.28am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to include information from the PSNI regarding
Leisurewatch as part the Committee's report on the Investigation of Child Protection and Safeguarding across the culture, arts and leisure remit.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the OFMDFM Committee regarding the role of disability champions in local councils.

5. Briefing from Ulster Scots Agency on the Committee's Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.30am:

Director of Corporate Services, Mr David McCallum; and
Education Officer, Ms Jane Wallace.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.47am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission research to ascertain the recent changes in UK and Irish legislation regarding child protection; and also whether a minimum European legislative standard exists for child protection.

Mr Basil McCrea left the meeting at 11.49am.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a former Director and former Agency Board Member for the Ulster Scots Community Network.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Ulster Scots
Community Network on the Investigation on Child Protection and Safeguarding across the culture, arts and leisure remit.

Mr Basil McCrea returned to the meeting at 11.52am.

6. Assembly Research & Information Services briefing on EU Funding Opportunities for Sport

The Committee noted the briefing paper on EU funding opportunities for sport.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission more information regarding the SportUrban project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the research paper onto NILGA to assess funding opportunities for local councils.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister providing details on the timescale of the introduction of the new salmon conservation legislation

The Committee noted correspondence from OFMDFM regarding DCAL's Investment Strategy for March 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it should not make representation to the Independent Working Group on boxing in Ulster, but to write to the Chair of the Group to ascertain the Terms of Reference and details on who it intends to consult with.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding its Equality Scheme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the draft Inquiry Rules on the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse 1922-1995 to the Minister for her comments.

The Committee noted the tabled report from the Department regarding the analysis of sickness absence in DCAL for 2011/2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ascertain whether PRONI's purchase price for the Londonderry Papers demonstrated value for money.

The Committee noted Sport NI's Retention and Disposal Schedule.

8. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Minister to the event on Celebrating Sporting Success in 2012: A Remarkable Year.

The Committee noted the invitation from UK City of Culture to the launch of the Walled City Tattoo event.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to scope some work around performing arts.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 18th April 2013, at Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Committee adjourned at 12.05pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
18 April 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us