Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 10 January 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.41am. 

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 13 December 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 13 December 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker outlining all outstanding correspondence since September 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request an oral briefing from the Ulster Scots Broadcast Fund on the content of Ulster Scots in current programmes. 

The Committee noted: correspondence from the Minister outlining details of her meeting with the Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA); and that IABA will brief the Committee on 17 January 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto the ETI Committee correspondence from the Minister outlining her assessment of the Small Business Research Initiative.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister outlining her objectives to implement the Rural White Paper Action Plan.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister providing information on its discussions with NSPCC on a gapping and mapping exercise to look at internet and social media safety.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence onto the Committee of Education and Disability Sport NI from the Minister of Education outlining his officials’ discussions on how his Department can increase participation in disability sports.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from the Minister of Health regarding Disability Sport NI, onto Disability Sport NI and the Health Committee; and to ask for Disability Sport NI’s assessment of the range of activities for people with disabilities in the Northern Area.

Mr William Humphrey declared an interest as a Member of the Board of the Belfast Visitor and Convention Bureau (BVCB).

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from both the BVCB and the World Police and Fire Games Company in February on progress in delivering the Games; and to write to BVCB to ascertain the accuracy of the information provided regarding its list of venues to host the World Police and Fire Games.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding the Small Grants Scheme Review.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Chairperson should informally meet with the Technical Director of IFA regarding the role of the Northern Ireland School’s Football Association.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Speaker regarding a Musical Instrument Amnesty Event; and agreed that the Committee Office should liaise with the Arts Council to discuss the practicalities of hosting such an event.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Lisburn City Council confirming that it will brief the Committee on Lisburn’s award as European City of Sport 2013.

4. Briefing from Assembly Research and Information Services on Comparative Information on Gun Sports

The following official joined the meeting at 10.51am:

Assembly Researcher, Dr Dan Hull.

The official briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The official left the meeting at 11.03am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should liaise with the Committee for Justice regarding the timetable of the consultation to amend the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2004.

5. Draft Report on Stakeholder Event with Sports Governing Bodies

The Committee noted the report from the Stakeholder Event with sports governing bodies on the challenges they face and legacy from the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The Committee agreed to consider possible wording for a draft Motion for next week’s meeting, to raise the issues discussed at the stakeholder event in plenary.   

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding its Forecast Outturn from December 2012 to March 2013.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding Financial Forecasting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request an oral briefing from RAISE on Financial Forecasting.

The Committee noted the Investing Activity Report for DCAL for December 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to incorporate additional correspondence from DETI as an addendum to the Creative Industries Inquiry report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a research paper focusing on possible streams of EU related work, to assist the Committee in deciding its EU priorities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the information from OFMDFM, regarding Europe for Citizens, onto DCAL, NILGA and the Environment and OFMDFM Committees.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Assembly Business Office advising that the NI Screen Commission Directors Report and Financial Statements for year to March 2012 was laid in the Business Office on 18th December 2012.

The Committee noted correspondence from Netball NI enclosing a copy of its Corporate Business Plan for 2011 – 2016.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward correspondence about a local ballroom dance team to the Assembly’s Director of Information and Outreach.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter from Angling First Ltd onto the Minister, following Inland Fisheries assistance after a recent theft; and to schedule a briefing from Angling First Ltd onto the Forward Work Programme.

The Committee noted the tabled Annual Review and News Letter from the Arts Council.

7. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted the invite from the Finance and Personnel Committee to attend the official launch of the Place-names of Northern Ireland database.

The Committee noted the invite to the BBC concert “Sons and Daughters” which marks the opening of 2013 UK City of Culture.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Paul Frew MLA following the Committee’s visit to All Saints and Braid Boxing Clubs; and noted that the invitation to All Saints came directly from the club and not Mr Paul Frew MLA.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Environment Committee to co-ordinate a joint visit to the excavation site at Drumclay Crannog, Fermanagh. 

The Committed noted the tabled invitation from the NIALST to sessions on Effective Questioning and Scrutiny.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

9. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to all Committee Chairs to seek their support for the Assembly to conduct Committee business in Londonderry during UK City of Culture year.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Permanent Secretary and her officials to attend a lunch with Committee Members to discuss the work of the Department and Committee.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting        

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 17th January 2012, Parliament Buildings.

The meeting moved into closed session at 11.33am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.33am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.33am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 11.35am.

11. Consideration of Draft Report of Committee Inquiry into Maximising the Potential of the Creative Industries

The Clerk briefed Members on the changes to the draft recommendations.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 11.40am.

There was discussion around the draft recommendations.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.01pm.

Mr William Humphrey declared an interest as a Member of Belfast City Council.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.07pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider the draft recommendations and Executive Summary at the Committee meeting of 17 January 2013. 

12. Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure Remit

The Clerk briefed Members on the draft Terms of Reference of the Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection and Safeguarding across the Culture, Arts and Leisure remit.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.13pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft Terms of Reference.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Wayne Denner to brief the Committee on 24 January 2013; and to ask RAISE to identify other people and organisations to give evidence to the Committee on the recommendations.

The Committee adjourned at 12.18pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
17 January 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us