Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 09 May 2013

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.35am.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from the Minister regarding NIAO's report on DCAL's Management of Capital Projects.

The Committee moved into open session at 10.39am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the Meeting held on 25 April 2013

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 25 April 2013.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the correspondence tracker.

Mrs Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.43am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should ascertain information relating to
issues around the 2013 World Police and Fire Games.

The Committee noted the Minister's response to its letter outlining the concerns raised by Ulster Hockey Union on the impact a reduction in funding would have on the development of the sport.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department providing additional information following its briefing to the Committee on 14 March 2013 on its Delivering Tomorrow's Libraries strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto the OFMDFM Committee a letter from the Convener of the Scottish Parliament's Education and Culture Committee to the Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs on his Committee's views on the proposed royal charter regarding regulation of the press.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto the Minister a letter from the Chair of the House of Lords European Union Committee to DEFRA's Parliamentary Under Secretary of State regarding the EU proposals for a regulation establishing measures for the recovery of the stock of European eels.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to contact Belfast City Council to ascertain any outcomes from the SportUrban project.

The Committee noted the Terms of Reference of the Working Group set up to consider issues around archaeological archives.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward correspondence from the Minister of
Health, Social Services and Public Safety outlining initiatives by HSC Trusts for people with disabilities onto Disability Sport NI (DSNI); and to ask DSNI to keep it informed of progress of its development plan.

Agreed: The Committee noted the tabled Statutory Rule on Rod Caught Salmon (and
Sea Trout) and agreed to formally consider the Rule at its meeting on
Thursday 23 May 2013.

4. Assembly Research and Information Services briefing on European Capitals of Culture Programme

The following official joined the meeting at 10.52 am:

Assembly Researcher, Dr Dan Hull.

The official briefed the Committee.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.02am.

A question and answer session followed.

The official left the meeting at 11.10am.

5. DCAL briefing on UK City of Culture

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.11am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott; and
Head of 2013 Projects Team, Ms Joanna McConway.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 11.16am.

A question and answer session followed.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.53am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a paper on the Optimism Bias for the project to include: governance; criteria to be used for proposals coming forward; details of how and why Optimism Bias has been used to date; and details of other non-capital projects with Optimism Bias.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley rejoined the meeting at 11.58am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide a paper on issues around branding.

The officials left the meeting at 11.58am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from Derry City Council
and the Culture Company before summer recess.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ascertain whether the Department sees Optimism
Bias for non-capital projects as a model that should be applied more widely.

6. DCAL briefing on Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture Strategies

The following officials joined the meeting at 12noon:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott;
Head of Irish Language Bill and Language Strategies Team, Dr Michael Willis; and
Deputy Head of Irish Language Bill and Language Strategies Team, Mr Aidan McCann.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.05pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.06pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín rejoined the meeting at 12.15pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey rejoined the meeting at 12.17pm.

Deputy Chairperson, Mr William Irwin took the chair at 12.21pm. Chairperson, Miss Michelle McIlveen left the meeting at 12.21pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.35pm.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.35pm.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.35pm.

7. Investigation into Consistency in Child Protection across the CAL remit

Agreed: The Committee agreed to include the following papers in its report on the Investigation into Gaps in Child Protection across the culture, arts and leisure remit: RAISE briefing on child protection; RAISE briefing on internet safety for children and young people; House of Commons note on Internet: Protecting Children; Armagh Planetarium's Child Protection Policy; additional information from Safeguarding Board NI on home tutors; and a written submission from Ulster Scots Community Network.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Department's Investing Activity Report to April 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask that it is kept informed of the outcome to official's meeting with Athletics NI on its development of a strategic plan for athletics as a priority sport.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the paper from the ETI Committee on the number of public sector sites that employ a form of renewable energy generation onto the Department.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department seeking its views on the Public Service Pensions Bill 2013.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department seeking its views on the Reservoirs Community Asset survey.

9. Chairperson's Business

The Committee noted the invitation tracker.

The Committee noted invites to the EU Peace Programme project events.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward EU proposals to implement preparatory
action on European Partnership on Sport onto Sport NI for comment.

10. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting on Thursday 30 May at 10am.

11. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee noted tabled information outlining events to mark Polish Cultural Week.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should scope a visit to Dublin to pursue current work streams.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 23 May 2013 in Room 21.

The Committee adjourned at 12.50pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
23 May 2013

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us