Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 08 November 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35am.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 10.35am.

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Chairperson’s Business

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 10.36am.

The Chairperson gave her apologies to the Committee as she had to leave the Committee meeting early.

The Chairperson advised Members that she conducted an interview for the Spotlight programme in her capacity as a Private Member.

3. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 25 October 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 25 October 2012.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department responding to issues raised regarding the publication of two Ulster Scots consultations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister asking her to commit to the points raised by the Committee regarding the evaluation of the Communities Festival Fund; and to inform her of research commissioned by the Committee regarding the methodology and conclusions of the research.  

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a joint written briefing from both DCAL and DETI on the joint approach regarding the decade of centenary commemorations.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regard its request for an oral briefing on the Programme for Government delivery plans.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.42am.

The Committee noted correspondence from County Antrim Board outlining its report of the issues raised by Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club.

The Committee noted correspondence from Irish Amateur Boxing Association regarding Sandy Row Boxing Club.

The Committee noted a tabled response from PSNI regarding the incident on 11 February 2010 reported by Sandy Row Boxing Club.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request an update from IABA on the outcome of its Board meeting, in advance of next week’s briefing with the Department and Sport NI officials. 

The Committee noted the response from the Minister of Finance and Personnel regarding 2011 Census questions relating to the Irish and Ulster Scots languages.

The Committee noted correspondence from Lough Neagh Co-operative Society regarding its structure and governance.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to visit the Lough Neagh Co-operative Society in Toomebridge; and to write to the Co-operative Society seeking clarification of timescales in changes to licences and the communication of these changes to its members.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from DCAL, NILGA and IFA relating to issues raised by Disability Sport NI.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 10.46am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to arrange an informal meeting with the NILGA sub-group and Disability Sport NI, to facilitate discussions supporting the targets of Disability Sport NI’s 6 year strategic plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister regarding the Ulster Scots Agency’s Flagship Schools Programme, and on maximising the Ulster Scots content in local television programmes.

5. DCAL briefing on Museums Policy

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.49am:

Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation Division, Mr Mick Cory; and

DCAL Official, Mr David Polley.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Miss Michelle McIlveen (Chair) left the meeting at 11.02am.

Mr William Irwin (Deputy Chair) took the Chair at 11.02am.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 11.18am.

Mr Dominic Bradley returned to the meeting at 11.31am.

Mr David Hilditch declared an interest as Chair of Mid Antrim Museums Service.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín declared an interest as a former member of the Causeway Museums Services.

Agreed: Officials agreed to write to National Museums Northern Ireland to establish the percentage of display space allocated to recent history.

The officials left the meeting at 11.36am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Northern Ireland Museums Council to request: the results of their research into the Review of Public Administration; details on accredited local museums; and the number of local museums not accredited.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule briefings from both Northern Ireland Museums Council and National Museums Northern Ireland.

6. Sports Governing Bodies responses regarding maximizing the legacy of the Olympics

The Committee noted correspondence from 22 sports governing bodies on the challenges that they face and how the momentum from the Olympics can be maximized and maintained.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the following to a stakeholder event on 22 November 2012: sports governing bodies that represent sports which participate at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games; and the 22 organisations that provided written responses.

The Committee noted that the stakeholder event will be held on 22 November 2012 at 5.30pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start the meeting of 22 November 2012 at 1.00pm.

7. Council Responses regarding 2013 World Police and Fire Games

The Committee noted 11 responses from councils outlining their action in promoting the World Police and Fire Games among local businesses and highlighting volunteering opportunities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to World Police and Fire Games Ltd and encourage them to continue to engage with local councils; and to request a briefing from early in the New Year. 

8. Correspondence

Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 11.45am. 

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding the screening exercise of the music strategy.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.46am.

The Committee noted correspondence from Mr John Edmund, providing a copy of his letter to the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding the Northern Ireland Music Industry.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster Sports Museums Association and the Ulster History Circle regarding the proposed location of a Hall of Fame; and to invite them to brief the Committee on their work to create a Hall of Fame.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department, highlighting upcoming consultations.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Committee for Employment and Learning to a presentation by Dr Steve Myers of CERN on Tuesday 13 November at 11am in the Senate Chamber.

The Committee noted the programme of events for UK City of Culture 2013.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the changes to the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to start next week’s meeting at 10.15am, following a photo opportunity at 10am with Libraries NI.

10. Any other business

Members were reminded that the Committee is hosting a reception for the delegates attending the Intercultural Europe Conference on 15 November 2012.

Members were reminded that the Committee has agreed to visit both All Saints Boxing Club and Braid Boxing Club in Ballymena and that the date is 28 November 2012.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.56am.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.56am.

11. Committee Inquiry into Creative Industries

The Committee moved into closed session at 11.56am.

The Committee received a briefing on the Committee report. 

Mr Michael McGimpsey returned to the meeting at 12.02pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 12.03pm.       

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.04pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 12.04pm.

Mr Rosaleen McCorley returned to the meeting at 12.20pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 12.21pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.38pm. 

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 12.43pm.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.45pm.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 12.45pm.

Members were advised that the Committee would return to the report at a later date to formally agree the recommendations.

The Committee moved into public session at 12.45pm.

12. Date and Time of Next Meeting           

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 15th November at 10.15am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.46pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
15 November 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us