Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 08 December 2011

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 01 December 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 01 December 2011.

3. Matters Arising

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to check whether the Memorandum of Understanding with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency is in the public domain; and to seek the Department’s  assessment on whether the MOU is working in practice.

The Committee noted the response from the Department on the current status of outstanding Post Project Evaluations.

The Committee noted the response from the Digital Switchover Help Scheme on TV digital switchover.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that if Members had further queries in relation to the position of specific care homes or sheltered accommodation these should be forwarded to the Committee Office for investigation regarding eligibility for assistance under the Digital Switchover Help Scheme.

Agreed: The Committee considered the correspondence from the Minister of the Environment on Planning Policy Statement 6, and agreed to return to the issue during the Northern Ireland Archeological Forum briefing to the Committee on 15 December.

Mr Dominic Bradley joined the meeting at 10.39am.

4. Briefing from DCAL regarding review of Arm’s Length Bodies

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.42am:

Deputy Secretary, Ms Cynthia Smith;
Director of Corporate Services and Finance, Ms Deborah Brown; and
Head of ALB Review, Mr Paul McAllister.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.19am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to build the timeline of the Department’s review into the Committee’s Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek assurances from the Minister that work is being undertaken to ensure that lottery funding is returned to Northern Ireland post the 2012 Olympic Games.

5. Briefing from Libraries NI regarding Opening Hours Consultation

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.24am:

Chief Executive, Ms Irene Knox;

Chairperson of Services Committee, Mr Nigel Maccartney;

Director of Library Services, Ms Helen Osborn; and

Director of Business Support, Mr Terry Herron.  

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr Oliver McMullan made a declaration that he was lobbied by representatives of a campaign to save Carnlough library.

Mr Robin Swann made a declaration that he is Co-Chair of the Save the Kells and Connor library campaign.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting at 12.00pm.

Mr Dominic Bradley returned to the meeting at 12.03pm.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 12.06pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.08pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Board of Libraries NI to outline the Committee’s mains concerns in relation to the proposals to reduce some libraries opening hours, for consideration at the Board’s meeting on 21 December.

Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 12.09pm.

6. Briefing from Lagan Canal Trust

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 12.10pm.

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.10pm:

Chairman of Lagan Canal Trust, Mr Erskine Holmes OBE; and

Manager of Lagan Canal Trust, Ms Brenda Turnbull.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Ms Brenda Hale rejoined the meeting at 12.14pm.

Ms Karen McKevitt left the meeting at 12.15pm.

Mr David Hilditch rejoined the meeting at 12.19pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.19pm.

Ms Karen McKevitt rejoined the meeting at 12.22pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Pat Sheehan left the meeting at 12.40pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.41pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the presentation from Lagan Canal Trust onto the Minister; to request a briefing from her officials on the Department’s involvement in this project; and to write to DSD, DoE, DARD and DETI to alert them to the presentation.

7. Correspondence     

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from the OFMDFM Committee on an Outcomes Model to the Department for information.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development on the Reservoirs Bill to the Department for information and to seek any views/comments on the proposed timetable for the Bill.

8. Chairperson’s Business

There was no Chairperson’s business.

9. Forward Work Programme

There were no changes to the Forward Work Programme.

10. Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting      

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 15 December 2011 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.45pm

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
15 December 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us