Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 06 September 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.40am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed on discussion points for a media interview on City of Culture.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.42am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of Meetings held on 05 July 2012

The Committee agreed the minutes of 05 July 2012.

3. Matters Arising

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on Stadia Development on 15 November 2012; and also to schedule briefings from IFA, GAA and Ulster Rugby onto the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums Northern Ireland to get an update on the progress of its discussions with the Department on budget reduction.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request oral briefings from the Department on revised Savings Delivery Plans and the delivery of Programme for Government targets.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure regarding private funding for the World Police and Fire Games.

The Committee noted correspondence from the World Police and Fire Games regarding its communications and marketing strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to contact all local Councils to ascertain the work each is undertaking to benefit from and raise awareness of the World Police and Fire Games.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the Líofa Pilot Bursary Scheme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek additional information regarding the consultation process for the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture strategies; and to schedule a briefing on 20 September 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek: clarification that all projects recommended by the Ministerial Advisory Group on the Ulster Scots Academy were funded by the Department; and information on the procedures once funding has been granted.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the eight governing bodies currently undertaking the foundation level of the Equality Standard of Sport to ascertain the benefits for their respective sports.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule the following briefings onto the Forward Work Programme: Belfast City Council on its boxing strategy; and NSPCC on child protection issues in all sports.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development to seek an update on the actions it has undertaken following the meeting with FASTA.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to: forward the correspondence from the Minister regarding the protection of archaeological artefacts onto the Minister of the Environment and the Committee for the Environment; and request an update from the Minister of the Environment on progress in implementing the actions he proposed during his response to the Assembly Debate on archaeological archives.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the creative industries innovation fund and wider sectoral initiatives.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Arts Council regarding its funding allocation for the creative industries innovation fund.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding funding for Northern Visions.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek information in advance of RTÉ and Digital UK's briefing to the Committee regarding: coverage of RTÉ in Northern Ireland after digital switchover; and issues with set boxes.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the review of Arm's Length Bodies.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the Main Estimates in respect of the Northern Ireland Events Company.

4. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding appointments to the Board of the Arts Council.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister updating the Committee on progress of the salmon conservation consultation that closed on 10 July 2012.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an oral briefing from the Department on the outcome to the salmon conservation consultation on 18 October 2012.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding the consultation on the Irish Language and Ulster Scots Language, Heritage and Culture strategies.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department detailing the outcome of the policy screening exercise from 01 April to 30 June 2012.

The Committee noted three items of correspondence regarding the forecast outturn up to March 2013 for June, July and August 2012.

The Committee noted: the Department's Annual Report and Accounts 2011/12; and correspondence from the Department in relation to NIAO's qualification of the accounts.
Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ensure that it receives timely updates regarding it's to resolve the issue for which it received a qualification from NIAO in its Annual Report and Accounts.

The Committee noted: the Salmon and Inland Fisheries Annual Report for 2010; the North/South Language Body Annual Report and Accounts for year ended 31 December 2008; and the Sports Council for NI Annual Report and Accounts for year ended 31 March 2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide a copy of its report into the Creative Industries Inquiry, once available, to the Committee for Employment and Learning for its inquiry into Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should draft a response to the Committee for OFMDFM's legislative proposals for the Office of the Ombudsman.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should draft a response on its activities on European Issues for the Committee for OFMDFM's report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the ETI Committee inviting Members to attend a briefing with OFCOM.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a written briefing from the Arts Council on the outcome of the consultation to its draft equality scheme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed: to forward the letters from the eel fishermen to the Department, requesting clarification on the issues raised by the fishermen and the current position with regard to the issuing of eel licences; to write to the Lough Neagh Co-operative Society for its assessment on issuing eel licences; and to the fishermen advising them of this action.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to attend any event hosted by the Committee for Finance and Personnel to launch a new version of the NI Place Name Project Database.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club to orally brief the Committee and to visit its premises.

The Committee noted correspondence from Audience NI, highlighting key stats from their Audience Review 2012 report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Audience NI to brief the Committee.

The Committee noted correspondence from Lord Morrow MLA seeking views on his draft Human Trafficking and Exploitation Bill.

5. Inquiry into maximizing the potential of the creative industries in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the written briefing from the Department of Employment and Learning addressing the issues that were raised throughout the inquiry relating to the employment and learning remit.

The Committee noted correspondence from Invest NI, providing details on the LED programme.

6. Briefing paper on policy issues

Agreed: The Committee agreed to conduct a review into minority sport in Northern Ireland, by writing to all relevant governing bodies to explore the issues they face; and to table a Committee Motion on this issue once the analysis has been completed.

7. Chairperson's Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to request details on the remit and progress of the working group set up to consider ownership of Lough Neagh.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister and Sport NI to seek an update on Cricket Ireland's stadia development plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the City of Culture Company on progress that it is making to secure private sponsorship ahead of 2013; and also an update on securing signed contracts for large headline events.

The Committee noted the invite from the Arts Council to East Belfast Big Top Festival on Saturday 08 September 2012.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Minister inviting Members to attend a celebration of the achievements of athletes who participated in the Olympic and Paralympic Games

8. Draft Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft forward work programme.

9. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider information relating to the draft Firearm's Bill, in respect of the competitive age for participating in sport in Northern Ireland.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 13 September at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.37am.

Ms Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
13 September 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us