Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 06 December 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.33am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 29 November 2012

The Committee agreed the draft minutes of 29 November 2012.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from DCAL outlining its programmes to tackle inequalities in early years.

The Committee noted correspondence from Libraries NI, responding to the Committee's queries on usage statistics in the Greater Belfast area; and advising of its contact with Ulster Scots and Irish language organisations regarding its mobile library consultation.

The Committee noted correspondence from DCMS regarding digital switchover in Northern Ireland.

Mr Robin Swann joined the meeting at 10.36am.

The Committee noted correspondence from 2013 World Police and Fire Games ltd regarding its ongoing engagement with Councils.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto Disability Sport NI the Minister of Education's correspondence regarding his Department's joint approach with DCAL on educational aspects of Disability Sport NI's work.

The Committee noted correspondence from Belfast City Council providing a copy of its draft amateur boxing strategy and outlining proposed action plans over the period 2012 to 2022.

The Committee noted tabled correspondence from Sport NI following the Minister's meeting with IABA to discuss Sandy Row Amateur Boxing Club's concerns.

4. DCAL briefing on January Monitoring

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.40am:

Director of Finance & Corporate Services, Deborah Brown;
Director of Sports & Stadiums, Colin Watson;
Director of Culture Division, Arthur Scott; and
Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation, Mick Cory.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Mr William Irwin joined the meeting at 10.47am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 10.50am.

Mr Robin Swann returned to the meeting at 10.58am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 11.02am.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide to the Committee a paper outlining the feasibility and purpose of an Irish Language Academy.

Ms Rosaleen McCorley left the meeting at 11.20am.
Mr Oliver McMullan left the meeting at 11.21am.

5. DCAL briefing on Programme for Government Delivery Plans and Revised Savings Delivery Plans

The following officials briefed the Committee at 11.21am:

Director of Finance & Corporate Services, Deborah Brown;
Director of Sports & Stadiums, Colin Watson;
Director of Culture Division, Arthur Scott; and
Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation, Mick Cory.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín left the meeting at 11.23am.

Mr Oliver McMullan returned to the meeting at 11.24am.

Mr Robin Swann left the meeting at 11.24am.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín returned to the meeting at 11.25am.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Robin Swann returned to the meeting at 11.43am.

Mr David Hilditch joined the meeting at 11.50am.

The Chairperson made a declaration that she has applied as a volunteer for the 2013 World Police and Fire Games.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a Member of the Board of the Belfast Visitor and Convention Centre.

Agreed: Officials agreed to provide details of the cost of registration for 2013 World Police and Fire Games.

The officials left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Minister and the Permanent Secretary to brief the Committee at next week's meeting to discuss concerns around 2013 World Police and Fire Games.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister expressing concern around the possible underspend on UK City of Culture by the Culture Company.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to request her assessment of the impact that savings across her Department and NDPB's will have on jobs.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request from 2013 World Police and Fire Games Ltd a list of venues and, if available, a draft programme. The Committee also agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Tourist Board and Belfast Visitor and Convention Centre, via DETI, regarding their role in addressing accommodation issues.

6. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward onto Assembly Research a copy of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office paper on the Review of the Balance of Competences.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request an update from the Minister of the Environment in the New Year on the baseline quantification survey.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a written briefing from DCAL regarding the implications of Clause 61 and Schedule 7 of the Education Bill on the culture, arts and leisure remit.

Mr William Humphrey made a declaration that he is a Member of Belfast City Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association to advise them to raise any concerns regarding planning with Belfast City Council and Planning Division within DOE. The Committee also agreed to forward the Association's letter onto the Minister and GAA.

The Committee noted the tabled letter from the Department on the forecast outturn for August.

The Committee noted correspondence from the BIG Lottery Fund providing the findings of its consultation, Supporting Families.

The Committee noted PRONI's Report on the Deputy Keeper of the Records for 2011-12.

7. Chairperson's Business

Members noted all invitations received.

8. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule briefings from Audience NI and Mencap on 13 December 2012.

9. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send electronic Christmas cards to the Department and its Arm's Length Bodies.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 13th December 2012, Parliament Buildings.

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.12pm.

11. DCAL briefing on proposals following outcome of salmon fishing consultation

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.12pm:

Director of Museums, Libraries & Recreation, Mick Cory;
Chief Fisheries Officer, Seamus Connor; and
Head of Fisheries Branch, Aidan Cassidy.

Officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr William Humphrey left the meeting at 12.25pm.

Mr Cathal Ó hOisín made a declaration that he is a member of angling associations.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.36pm.

The officials left the meeting at 1.00pm.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.00pm.

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
13 December 2012

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us