Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 01 December 2011

Venue: Room 21

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.34am.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Sheridan Group.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.36am.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Hansard should cover the briefings on the Creative  

Industries Framework and from BBC NI staff representatives on the BBC Trust consultation.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2.         Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 24 November 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 24 November 2011.

3.         Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding concessionary TV Licensing legislation.

The Committee noted the response from DETI regarding statistics used by the Northern Ireland Tourist Board during its presentation to the Committee on ni2012 programme of events.

The Committee noted the response from OFCOM on TV digital switchover.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to RTE to ascertain whether TV digital switchover will impact on the availability of RTE and TG4 to Northern Ireland viewers.

4. Briefing from DCAL regarding Creative Industries Framework

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.41am:

Director of Culture, Mr Arthur Scott;
Head of Arts Branch, Ms Joanna McConway; and
Head of Creative Industries, Mr Stephen McGowan.

The officials briefed the Committee.

Ms Karen McKevitt joined the meeting at 10.45am.

Mr Michael McGimpsey joined the meeting at 10.49am.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.23am.

Mr David Hilditch left the meeting at 11.24am.

5.         Briefing from BBCNI Staff Representatives on BBC Trust’s Consultation “Delivering Quality First”

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.25am:

NUJ Father of Chapel, BBC Belfast, Mr Mervyn Jess;
NUJ Chapel, BBC Belfast, Ms Mary Kelly; and
NUJ Broadcasting Organiser, Ms Laura Davison.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr David Hilditch returned to the meeting at 11.51am.

Mrs Brenda Hale left the meeting at 11.59am.

The officials left the meeting at 12.02pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk should draft a response to BBC Trust’s consultation for formal agreement by the Committee before the consultation deadline of 21 December 2011.

6. Briefing from NI Commonwealth Games Council

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.04pm:

Chairman, Mr Robert McVeigh;
Executive Officer, Mr Conal Heatley;
Treasurer, Mr Jack Monaghan; and
Assistant Treasurer, Mr Stewart Tosh.

The officials briefed the Committee.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Michael McGimpsey left the meeting at 12.20pm.

Mr William Irwin left the meeting at 12.24pm.

The officials left the meeting at 12.38pm.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the letter from the Minister outlining her intention to deliver a statement to the Assembly on 29 November 2011 on the BIC meeting on minority and lesser languages.  

8.  Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted that the OFMDFM Committee is seeking the views of all statutory committees on the draft Programme for Government and draft Investment Strategy.

The Committee agreed to write to the Department’s Arm’s Length Bodies seeking their views on the draft Programme for Government, draft Investment Strategy and draft Economic Strategy. A deadline for responses of Friday 6 January was agreed.

The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department in mid-January on the draft Programme for Government.

9. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Hansard should cover the following briefings: December/January monitoring on 6 December; Libraries NI’s briefing on 8 December; and the Department’s briefing on the review of Arm’s Length Bodies on 8 December.

10.  Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting         

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Tuesday 06 December 2011 at 1.30pm in Room 144, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.45pm

Miss Michelle McIlveen MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
08 December 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us