Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 23 September 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

Members were advised that the sessions from Libraries NI and the Museums Council on the impact of the proposed spending and savings plans would be covered by Hansard.

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 16 September 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 16 September 2010.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee considered the response from DCAL in relation to funding for sports clubs and the criteria for Awards for Sports.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL regarding its meeting with the Festivals of Fools.

The Committee noted the response from Minister McCausland to Thomas McKee regarding IFA and Windsor Park.

The Committee noted the response from DRD regarding the Bike to Work Scheme.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the current position of music royalties in this region and a report on the situation in Wales.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Music Foundation NI to ask if the organisation has applied to the Arts Council Northern Ireland (ACNI) to secure funding to complete a business case for a royalty collection agency in Northern Ireland and to provide details of discussions with DCAL on this issue.

The Committee considered the email from NI Screen in relation to the proposed visit to the film set of Game of Thrones at the Paint Hall, Belfast.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to visit the film set on Thursday 4 November following the Committee meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to NI Screen in relation to its successes in securing contracts with American filmmakers.

The Committee noted a letter from Minister Murphy stating that Road Service will modify Cycle Racing on Road Regulations NI(1986) to allow 80 cyclists to participate in a cycle race.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DRD requesting information on when the necessary legislative changes will be introduced.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DoJ via the Justice Committee to highlight, as outlined in the Minister’s letter, that additional powers would be required to enable the PSNI to delegate responsibility for traffic control to cycle road marshals.

Mr McCartney left the meeting at 10.55am.

The Committee considered the responses from OFMdFM, DHSSPS and the Forum for Local Government and the Arts(FLGA) in relation to the accessibility of government owned art.

The Committee noted the tabled correspondence from the Minister in relation to the letter from the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission in respect of the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister requesting a timeline for a full response in relation to the Committee’s concerns in respect of the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages.

4. Further information - Arm’s Length Bodies Inquiry

 

The Committee considered the scope of its proposed inquiry into arms length bodies.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider draft terms of reference at next week’s meeting.

5. Briefing from Libraries NI regarding the impact of the proposed spending and savings plans

The Committee noted the definition of the terms ‘unavoidable’ and ‘inescapable’ as defined in the NI Executive Budget 2010 – Guidelines for Departments.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward a copy of NICVA’s briefing paper – Smart Solutions in Tough Times to DCAL.

The Committee noted the briefing paper from Libraries NI.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Irene Knox, Chief Executive, Libraries NI,

Councillor Evelyne Robinson, Chairperson, Business Support Committee, Libraries NI,

Terry Heron, Director of Business Support, Libraries NI.

The representatives made an opening statement.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr O’Loan left the meeting at 11.36am.

Mr O’Loan rejoined the meeting at 11.50am.

Mr Burns left the meeting at 11.54am.

Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 11.56am.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 12noon.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI requesting percentage figures relating to redundancies at management level and the criteria for phase 2 library closures.

6. Briefing from NI Museums Council regarding the impact of the proposed spending and savings plans

The Committee noted the briefing paper.

The following representative joined the meeting:

Chris Bailey, Director – NI Museums Council

The representative made an opening statement.

A question and answer session followed.

7. Consideration of the End of Session report

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Committee of Culture, Arts and Leisure End of Session Report 2009-2010.

8. Chairperson’s Business

Members were advised that the deputy Chairperson is attending the preview tour of Culture Night Belfast on the afternoon of 23 September 2010.

Members were advised that the Committee is supporting an event organised by Cinemagic International Film and Television Festival, Care and Unite in the Senate Chamber on Monday 27 September.

Members were advised that the Chairperson will be holding an informal meeting with the Construction Employers Federation on Tuesday 28 September at 12.30pm in room 135, Parliament Buildings.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted DCAL’s Outturn and Forecast return for August 2010/2011.

The Committee noted the letter from Ulster Rugby regarding proposals for new sports law and spectator controls.

Ms McIlveen rejoined the meeting at 12.31pm.

Lord Browne declared an interest as he is a Member of the Committee for Justice.

Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 12.35pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to this issue at next week’s meeting.

The Committee noted the email from DCAL regarding the Irish Language Broadcasting Fund Post Project Evaluation final report.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Institute of Engineering and Technology to NI STEM strategy debate and reception on 25 October 2010 at Queens University.

The Committee noted papers from the OFMdFM Committee regarding the public consultation on Sustainable Development Implementation Plan and the Programme for Cohesion, Sharing and Integration consultation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider the two consultation documents in October.

The Committee noted a memo from the OFMdFM Committee in relation to the European Commission’s Communication on the Rights of the Child.

The Committee noted the Department of Justice’s draft UK guidance on bribery preventative measures.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s briefing sessions from DCAL on Stadia Development and the National Museums would be recorded by Hansard.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 30 September 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at12.39pm.

Mr Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
30 September 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us