Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 21 October 2010

Venue: BEAM CREATIVE NETWORK, TORRENT COMPLEX DONAGHMORE

The meeting opened in public session at 10.45a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 14 October 2010

Agreed; The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 14 October 2010.

3. Welcome from representative of Beam Creative Network.

The following representative welcomed Members to Beam Creative Network and made a presentation on the centre’s work and achievements.

John O’Neill - Managing Partner of the Venturei Network

The Committee noted the brochure on BEAM’s work.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee considered the response from the IFA in relation the Committee’s request for representatives to brief the Committee.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the IFA to brief the Committee on 11 November 2010.

The Committee considered the tabled response from the Department in relation to the Irish Language Act.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the response to Assembly Legal Services for consideration.

5. Briefing from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure - Cultural Diversity Funding.

The Committee noted the briefing paper from the Department in relation to Cultural Diversity Funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing on the outcome of the consultation.

It was agreed that agenda item number 8 would be taken next.

6. Consideration of draft Committee response to Budget 2010 spending and savings plans

The Committee agreed the Committee response to Budget 2010 spending and savings plans.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the response to the Department.

It was agreed that agenda item number 9 would be taken next.

7. Committee’s Inquiry into Arms Length Bodies

The Committee considered the draft terms of reference (TOR) for the Committee Inquiry into Arms Length Bodies.

Agreed: It was agreed to return to consider the terms of reference at the meeting of 4 November 2010 once clarification had been sought on the Minister’s proposed review of arms length bodies.

Lord Browne recorded his opposition to the suggestion that the term ‘independence of ALBs’ should be included No.1 of the terms of reference.

8. Briefing – Carntogher Community Association

The Committee noted briefing papers provided by Carntogher Community Association.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Niall O’Kane, Director, Carntogher Community Association

Leonne Ní Lionsigh, Irish Language Officer, Carntogher Community Association.

The representatives made an opening statement.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed; The Committee agreed to write to LibrariesNI to request details regarding the level of provision of Irish language material in Maghera and Magherfelt libraries.

It was agreed that agenda item number 12 would be taken next.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the forward work programme.

The Committee was advised that the meeting of the 4 November 2010 would commence at 10.00am and will be followed by a set visit to the Paint Hall where the ‘Game of Thrones’ is currently being filmed.

It was agreed that agenda item number 10 would be taken next.

10. Consultation – Programme for Cohesion, Sharing and Integration

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer this item until 4 November and request an extension to the OFMdFM deadline for responses.

11. Chairperson’s Buinsess

There was no Chairperson’s business.

It was agreed that agenda item number 7 would be taken next.

12. Briefing – Joint Committee of Core Funded Groups on the Irish Language Strategy and Restructuring of Core-Funded Groups

The Committee noted briefing papers provided by the Joint Committee of core funded groups.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Aodán Mac Póilin, Director, ULTACH Trust

Janet Muller, Chief Executive, Pobal

Ciarán Ó Pronntaigh, Manager, an tÁisasonad

The representatives made an opening statement.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed; The Committee agreed to bring a number of issues in relation to the restructuring of the core-funded groups to the attention of the Department and Foras na Gaelige and consider their responses in advance of their briefing to Members on 25 November 2010.

MrBurns left the meeting at 12.27p.m

13. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games Team on their recent successes at the Commonwealth Games 2010 in Delhi.

14. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 4 November 2010 at 10.00 a.m. in room 21, Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.31p.m

Mr Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
4 November 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us