Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 18 November 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.32a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

 

2. Draft Minutes of 11 November 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 11 November 2010.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the DCAL update on the 2012 Northern Ireland Olympic and Paralympic Games Strategy Review.

The Committee noted the response from the Department following the inquiry into inland fisheries 2001

The Committee noted the Northern Ireland Environment Agency update regarding the sale of Dr McCutcheon’s industrial heritage collection.

The Committee considered the response from the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources regarding the availability of RTÉ on Freeview.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the issues in the correspondence would be discussed with representatives from OFCOM who will meet with the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson for an informal meeting on 14 December 2010.

The Committee considered correspondence from NI Music Foundation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer this issue pending responses to correspondence from DETI and ACNI.

The Committee considered the Good Morning Ulster transcript regarding cuts in the funding of events.

Mr Leonard declared an interest as he is a member of Coleraine Borough Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a research paper on the income generated from sporting events and the role of DETI, DCAL and other groups in the funding of sponsored events.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to Irish Language core funded groups and will be returning to the subject.

The Committee considered the tabled correspondence from Mr Ken Robinson, MLA in relation to the Justice Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to the Justice Committee for information.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider Mr Robinson’s letter at the meeting of 2 December 2010.

Mr Burns joined the meeting at 10.45a.m

Agreed: The Committee agreed that agenda item number 5 would be taken next.

4. Briefing from Assembly Research regarding the Draft Museums Policy

The Committee was briefed by research officer, Dr Dan Hull on the Draft Museums Policy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the research paper to the Department and request that they address the issues identified in the paper as soon as possible. The Committee also agreed to ask the Department to brief Members on the consultation responses as a matter of urgency.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to commission a supplementary research paper on the draft Museums Policy.

Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 10.55am

5. Quarterly update of related work in other legislatures

The Committee noted the Committee Office report.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Ministerial statement regarding the North/South Ministerial Council Language meeting on 03 November 2010.

The Committee noted the Ministerial statement regarding the North/South Ministerial Council Waterways meeting on 03 November 2010.

The Committee noted correspondence from the BMA, received by Barry McElduff, in relation to the safety of boxing.

Agreed : It was agreed to defer this issue until next week’s meeting.

The Committee noted the memo from OFMdFM regarding the October 2010 Investment Strategy for NI Investing Activity Report.

The Committee noted the memo from OFMdFM regarding the Lifetime Opportunities Monitoring Framework Baseline Report

The Committee considered correspondence from Life regarding the Tollymore National Outdoor Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department for comment and request that the Department provides Members with further information on the criteria and scope of the Post Project Evaluation in relation to Sport NI’s Tollymore National Outdoor Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Life informing them of the Committee’s agreed actions.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Newry and Mourne Museum Committee regarding the National Famine Commemoration.

Agreed: The Committee acknowledged their support of the event and agreed to write to the Department to request that they liaise with Newry and Mourne District Council in support of this event.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Newry and Mourne Museum Committee informing them of the Committee’s agreed actions.

Agreed: It was agreed that agenda item 4 would be taken next.

7. Briefing from Ultach Trust regarding funding of the Irish Language Sector

The Committee noted the Ultach Trust briefing paper.

The following representative joined the meeting:

Aodán Mac Póilin- Director – Ultach Trust

The representative made an opening statement.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to bring the issues discussed to the attention of officials from the Department and Foras na Gaelige when they brief the Committee on 25 November 2010.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the tabled forward work programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer a decision on the Committee’s proposed inquiry into Arms-Length Bodies (ALBs), pending a response from the Department on its planned review of ALBs

The Committee considered the tabled draft press release in relation to the Committee meeting and visit at Antrim Library on 25 November 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the press release.

9. Any other business

It was brought to the Committee’s attention that Members have received a letter from Iveagh Angling Club.

Agreed: It was agreed to return to this issue at next week’s meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter of congratulations to Suzie Cave from Assembly Research Services on winning team Gold and two silver medals at the World University Equestrian Championships in South Korea.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send electronic Christmas cards this year.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the departmental briefing paper on the Commemoration Strategy to Belfast City Council as requested.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 25 November 2010 at 10.30 a.m. at the Antrim Library.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.05pm.

Mr Declan O’Loan 
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
25 November 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us