Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 07 October 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.33a.m.

The Committee was informed that Hansard was unable to cover this session due to their current heavy workload. Hansard has a policy that priority is given to legislation and inquiries .

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 30 September 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 30 September 2010.

3. Consideration of draft Committee response to Budget 2010 spending and savings plans

The Committee noted the tabled paperpresented by DCAL at an event hosted by NICVA on 6 October 2010 in relation to Budget 2010 spending and savings plans.

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.35am.

Mr McCartney left the meeting at 10.36am.

Mr Robinson left the meeting at 10.37am.

Mr McCartney rejoined the meeting at 10.38am.

The Assembly Research Officer briefed the Committee on the projected declining allocations of DCAL sponsored bodies over the CSR period.

A question and answer session followed.

Membersnoted the Committee Office report summarising the briefing sessions from the Department, the main ALBs, NICVA and Special Olympics Ulster.

The Committee Clerk briefed the Committee on the paper.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would draft a Committee response for approval at next week’s meeting.

The Committee considered the letter from Community Arts Forum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite CAF to the Committee’s next round robin event, which is scheduled for November.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the Strategy for Disbursement of Cultural Diversity.

The Committee was advised that they will receive a briefing from the Department on Strategy for Disbursement of Cultural Diversity at the meeting of 21 October 2010.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the successes of Linfield U13 Boys and Newry City U14 Girls.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to NI Place Names Project Archive.

The Committee considered a response from the Minister in relation to the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission (NIHRC) – European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages and a tabled letter from the Minister to the NIHRC in relation to the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek advice from the Assembly Legal Services on the issues raised by NIHRC and the Minister’s response.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister requesting further clarification on the non-introduction of the Irish Language Act.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the NIHRC, inviting them to brief the Committee on the human rights issues surrounding the non-introduction of the Irish Language Act.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a written response from COMEX on the non-introduction of the Irish Language Act.

The Committee noted the response from Libraries NI in relation to issues raised by Members following their briefing to Committee members on 23 September 2010.

The Committee considered a response from the Committee for Regional Development in relation to The Cycle Races on Roads (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Regional Development Committee stating that Members are content with the proposed amendments to The Cycle Races on Roads (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010.

The Committee considered the response from the Department of Education and Learning in relation to the provision of Ulster Scots teacher training.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department of Education seeking information on the provision of Ulster Scots teacher training at the two training colleges in Belfast.

The Committee considered the tabled response from the Northern Ireland Music Foundation (NIMF) in relation to issues raised at the Committee meeting of 23 September 2010.

The Committee considered the tabled response from the DETI via the Enterprise Committee in relation to the establishment of a music royalties collection agency in this region.

The Committee considered the copy of a tabled letter from the Department to the Music Foundation about the proposed new music strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council for an update on developments regarding funding for a business case on the viability of establishing a music rights collection agency.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting an update on the development of a music strategy in consultation with NIFM.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department seeking clarification on the development of a new Music Strategy.

5. Draft Terms of Reference - Arm’s Length Bodies Inquiry

The Committee considered the tabled revised draft terms of reference for the Committee’s Inquiry into Arms Length Bodies.

The Committee considered a summary of the Committee recommendations following last year’s Review of the role of DCAL in the management of NIEC and its Arms Length Bodies .

Mr Burns left the meeting at 11.47am.

Mr McCartney left the meeting at 11.49am

Agreed: The Committee agreed to amend the terms of reference as proposed.

6. Briefing from Assembly Research on 1966 Fisheries Act

The Committee noted the Research Services paper on 1966 Fisheries Act.

The Assembly Research Officer briefed the Committee on the 1966 Fisheries Act in relation to EU Regulations.

A question and answer session followed.

7. Briefing from Ulster Angling Federation on the abolition of the Fisheries Conservancy Board

The Committee noted the Ulster Angling Federation briefing paper.

The following representative joined the meeting:

Robbie Marshall, Development Officer - Ulster Angling Federation

The representative made an opening statement.

Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 12.16pm.

Mr McClarty left the meeting at 12.17pm.

A question and answer session followed.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek information from DCAL on the current provision of fisheries protection.

8. Chairperson’s Business

There was no Chairperson’s business.

9 . Correspondence

The Committee noted that DCAL’s Salmon and Inland Fisheries Annual Report 2008 had been placed in Members pigeonholes on Tuesday 5 October 2010.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

11. Any other business

 

The Committee noted a tabled invitation to NIABT Breakfast briefing on attitudes to innovation.

The Committee noted a tabled invitation to the opening of Keady Library on Tuesday 12 October.

The Committee noted a tabled email from theArts Councilwith a list of events that the Arts Council is sponsoring as part of the Belfast Festival at Queens.

Agreed: It was agreed to write to Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy congratulating them on their recent successes at the Ryder Cup Golf Championships.

12. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 14 October 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.23pm

Mr Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
14 October 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us