Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 03 February 2011

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.21am.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes 27 January 2011

The Committee agreed the minutes of 27 January 2011.

3. Matters arising

The Committee considered the letter from the Department regarding North/South Language Body.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister seeking comparative data on Foras na Gaelige and the Ulster Scots Agency.

The Committee noted the letter from the Department in relation to the North/South Language Body consolidation of accounts.

The Committee noted the tabled advertisement from DCAL in relation to the Ulster Scots Academy Ministerial Advisory Group.

The Committee considered the response from the Department regarding sport history – provision in museums.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the letter to Mr Ronnie Spence form the Ulster Sport Museum Association.

The Committee considered the letter from the Department regarding Budget 2010 figures.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the Committee’s response to the Department’s spending and savings plans for Budget 2011-2015 to the Arms Length Bodies and to publish a Budget Report on the Committee website.

The Committee considered the response from the Department of Finance and Personnel regarding missing artworks.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister of Finance and Personnel in relation to the missing artworks.

The Committee considered the letter from the Department of the Environment regarding zebra mussels.

Deputy Chairperson joined the meeting at 10.30 a.m

Mr Burns left the meeting at 10.30 a.m

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the NIEA on how England, Scotland and Wales are working to eradicate the zebra mussel.

The Committee considered the response from the Arts Council in relation to arts spend per capita.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department for comment.

4. Correspondence

Agreed: It was agreed that agenda item 10 would be taken next.

The Committee noted the House of Lords EU Committee newsletter regarding EU and grassroots sports.

The Committee noted the Finance and Personnel Committee memo regarding Monitoring of Departmental Efficiency Delivery Plans.

Mr Humphrey joined the meeting at 10.39 a.m.

The Committee considered the DCAL Cultural Awareness Strategy consultation document.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite DCAL officials to brief the Committee on the proposals for the Cultural Awareness Strategy.

The Committee noted correspondence regarding Richhill Library.

The Committee noted the Libraries NI Disability Action Plan – consultation.

The Committee noted the correspondence from BBC NI regarding Democracy Live.

The Committee noted the letter from Volunteer Now regarding the impact of the draft Budget 2011-15.

Lord Browne joined the meeting at 10.50 a.m

5. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: It was agreed that agenda item 11 would be taken next.

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to cancel the Committee meeting scheduled for 24 February 2011.

6. Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure briefing on February Monitoring

The Committee considered the Department’s briefing paper on February Monitoring.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.53 a.m

Deborah Brown, Director of Finance and Corporate Services – DCAL
Arthur Scott, Director of Culture – DCAL
Mick Cory, Director of Sports Museums and Recreation - DCAL

The officials briefed the Committee on the February Monitoring Round.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.07 a.m

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department regarding a number of issues raised with officials within the context of February Monitoring.

7. Briefing from Department on EU Engagement

The Committee considered the following papers:

  • Updated Assembly Research paper
  • DCAL Briefing paper

The following officials joined the meeting at 11.10 a.m

Edgar Jardine, Deputy Secretary – DCAL
Joanna McConway, Head of Arts and Creativity Branch – DCAL
David Mann, DCAL Official

The officials briefed the Committee on EU Engagement.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.37 a.m

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the OFMDFM Committee about EU Engagement

8. Committee consideration of the Commemoration Strategy

The Committee considered the following documents:

  • Committee Office memo
  •  DCAL briefing paper (from meeting of 04 November 2010)
  • DCAL list of events planned around Commemorations
  • Letter from Newry and Mourne Council’s Museum Committee

Agreed: The Committee to write to Newry and Mourne District Council in relation to the National Famine Commemoration event.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Minister to address the issues raised by the Committee on 17 February after his presentation on the Museum’s policy.

9. Committee Review into the value and impact of museums – Oral evidence session – University of Ulster – Museums and Heritage Studies

The Committee considered the briefing paper from the University of Ulster.

The following representatives joined the meeting at 11.50 a.m.

Mr McCarthy joined the meeting at 11.50 a.m 
Dr Elizabeth Crooke - Senior Lecturer, Museum and Heritage Studies 
Prof. Pól Ó Dochartaigh – Dean of the Faculty of Arts

The representatives provided evidence to the Committee Review into the value and impact of museums.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr McClarty left the meeting at 12.12 p.m 
Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 12.13 p.m 
Mr Burns left the meeting at 12.16 p.m 
Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 12.24 p.m

The representatives left the meeting at 12.24 p.m.

10. Committee Review into the value and impact of museums – Oral evidence session – Northern Ireland Museum Council

The Committee considered the briefing paper from the Northern Ireland Museum Council.

The following representative joined the meeting at 12.24 p.m

Chris Bailey, Director

The representative provided evidence to the Committee Review into the value and impact of museums.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Hilditch left the meeting at 12.31 p.m 
The representative left the meeting at 12.45 p.m

11. Chairperson’s Business

Members were advised that the Chairperson, the Deputy Chairperson and Lord Browne will meet with representatives of the Jewish Community who wish to open a museum on the site of the old synagogue in North Belfast.

12. Any Other Business

There was no other business.

13. Date and time of next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 10 February 2011 at 10.30am Room 21, Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.47 p.m

Mr Barry McElduff, MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
10 February 2011

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us