Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 02 December 2010

Venue: Senate Chamber, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.04 a.m.

Mr Hilditch declared an interest as Chairman/Director of Carrick Rangers Football Club.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 25 November 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of

25 November 2010.

Mr McClarty joined the meeting at 10.06 a.m.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the Departmental response regarding Stadium Development.

Mr Burns joined the meeting at 10.07 a.m.

The Committee noted the Departmental response regarding the draft budget.

The Committee noted the response from Libraries NI regarding the provision of Irish Language material in the Libraries at Maghera and Magherafelt.

The Committee noted the Departmental response in relation to the final outturn 2010 – AME overspend.

The Committee considered the Departmental response regarding Special Olympics Ulster funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to thank him for taking this matter forward and urging him to arrange the meeting with the relevant Ministers on the funding of Special Olympics Ulster as soon as possible.

The Committee noted the Department’s Forecast Outturns from September and October.

The Committee considered a response from the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development regarding zebra mussel population in Lough Erne.

Agreed: The Committee agreed write to the Department of the Environment in

relation to zebra mussel population in Lough Erne.

4. Briefing from Irish Football Association regarding governance and stadia

The Committee noted the Committee Office memo regarding timelines, correspondence and the briefing paper from IFA.

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.15 a.m.

Mr Humphrey declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

Lord Browne declared as interest as a Member for the Committee for Justice and a supporter of Dundela, Harland and Wolfe and Linfield Football Clubs.

The following officials joined the meeting at 10.13 a.m.

Mr Patrick Nelson - Chief Executive – IFA

Dr Les Caul - Chair of Executive Board – IFA

Mr Jim Shaw - President – IFA

Mr Terry Pateman - Vice President - IFA

The officials briefed the Committee on the issues relating to the governance of the Association.

A question and answer session followed.

The officials left the meeting at 11.21 a.m.

Mr Robinson left the meeting at 11.25 a.m.

Mr Burns left the meeting at 11.25 a.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting more

information on the timescale for the development of stadia.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to review what issues surround the increase of

domestic violence when sporting events are taking place.

5. Briefing from DCAL and DoJ on the Justice Bill (Northern Ireland)

The Committee noted the briefing papers provided by the Department for Culture, Arts and Leisure, Department for Justice and the Committee Office table with written submissions to Justice Committee.

The following Departmental officials joined the meeting at 11.25 a.m .

Mr Gareth Johnston - Deputy Director of Justice Strategy Division – DoJ

Mr Tom Haire - Justice Bill Manager – DoJ

Mr Colin Watson - Head of Sport – DCAL

Mr Ciaran Mee - DCAL Official

The officials briefed the Committee on Part 4 of the Justice Bill (Northern Ireland).

Mr Robinson rejoined the meeting at 11.26 a.m.

Mr McCartney left the meeting at 11.28 a.m.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Hilditch declared an interest as he is the Designated Operator and Safety Officer of Taylor’s Avenues Stadium in Carrickfergus.

Mr Humphrey left the meeting at 11.31 a.m.

Mr Burns rejoined the meeting at 11.43 a.m.

Mr McCarthy rejoined the meeting at 12.01 p.m.

Mr O’Loan left the meeting at 12.01 p.m.

Departmental officials left the meeting at 12.23 p.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that they would consider each clause in detail at

next week’s meeting and a response to the Committee for Justice would be agreed at the meeting of 16 December 2010.

6. DCAL briefing on December monitoring

The Committee noted the briefing paper.

The following officials joined the meeting at 12.26 p.m.

Ms Deborah Brown - Director of Finance and Corporate Services - DCAL

Mr Arthur Scott - Director of Culture - DCAL

Mr Colin Watson - Head of Sports Branch – DCAL

The officials briefed the Committee on the Department’s December Monitoring Round proposals.

A question and answer session followed.

Mr Hilditch left the meeting at 12.15 p.m.

The Deputy Chairperson took the Chair of the meeting at 12.30 p.m.

The Chairperson resumed the Chair of the meeting at 12.38 p.m.

Mr Burns left the meeting at 12.48 pm .

Departmental officials left the meeting at 12.50pm

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department seeking a summary paper of the ‘Unit of Business tracking table’ (Annex D).

7 New Committee Inquiry

The Committee discussed the timeline for the Committee’s new inquiry into Museums.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer a decision on the Terms of Reference

until next week’s meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that they would carry out a focused compact

review on the value and impact of Museums and that there was no need to issue a public notice.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Research and Library Service to

provide a suggested list of consultees.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that agenda item 8 (Committee inquiry into

participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland) be deferred to next week’s meeting.

8 Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson informed Members that he will attend the match between Ulster versus Gwent Dragons at Ravenhill on the 3 December 2010.

The Deputy Chairperson informed the Committee that he will be attending a concert at the Andersontown Traditional and Contemporary Music School on 5 December 2010 at 6.30 p.m.

9 Correspondence

The Committee considered correspondence received by Mr McElduff in relation to boxing, martial arts and cage fighting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter to the Health Committee for

their information.

The Committee considered correspondence from Ms Madeleine Coyle regarding Market Yard Project – Coleraine.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister requesting details on how

he has or intends to address the issues raised by Ms Coyle regarding the Market Yard Project in Coleraine.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Northern Ireland Committee of the Irish Congress Trade Unions Culture and Arts Committee regarding cuts to cultural and arts industries.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Northern Ireland Committee of the

Irish Congress Trade Unions Culture and Arts Committee to brief the Committee on cuts to the cultural and arts industries.

The Committee considered the Sports Council for Northern Ireland Annual Reports and Accounts for year ending 31 March 2008.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department and Sport NI seeking

clarification on the delay to its publication and too ascertain where are the reports for years ending 31 March 2009 and 31 March 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Northern Ireland Audit Office to

ascertain if they carried out an investigation into the fraud that occurred in 2006.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Lyric Theatre regarding a request for a creative learning letter of support.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Lyric Theatre to record the

Committee’s support.

The Committee considered correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding a report by the Confederation British Industry on revenue raising proposals.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department seeking comments on

the report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer consideration of the Committee for the

Office of the First and deputy First Minister’s draft strategy on Child poverty until next week’s meeting.

10 Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the forward work programme.

11 Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Chairperson, deputy Chairperson and any

interested Members would meet with the representatives from the Jewish Community who wish to open a museum at the site of the old Synagogue in Annesley Street, Belfast.

12 Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 09 December at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.55 p.m

Mr Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
09 December 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us