Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 24 September 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.34 a.m.

1. Apologies

None.

2. Draft Minutes of 17 September 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 17 September 2009 were agreed.

10.35 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting.

3 . Matters Arising

The Committee noted a copy of a response that was sent by the Minister to Salto Gymnastics.

The Committee noted afollow-up letter from UTV regarding the meeting of 16 September 2009.

 

4. Consideration of Statutory Rules on safety at sports grounds

The Committee noted a covering letter regarding The Safety of Sports Grounds (2006) (Commencement) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2009.

Agreed: The Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure considered the Safety of Sports Grounds (Designation) (No.2) Order ( Northern Ireland) 2009 and has no objection to the rule.

Agreed: The Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure considered The Safety of Sports Grounds (Fees and Appeals) Regulations ( Northern Ireland) 2009 and has no objection to the rule.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that its decision should be relayed to the Business Office by the Clerk.

5. Presentation from officials from other legislatures on indigenous language issues

The Committee heard evidence from officials from three other legislatures and each session was followed by a question and answer session. The officials agreed to forward to the Committee information as requested. In attendance were:

  • Welsh Assembly Government

In attendance:Huw Onllwyn Jones (Head of Welsh Language Unit and Media Policy Unit)

11.03 a.m. Mr D Bradley joined the meeting.

  • Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs

In attendance: Joe Hamill (Assistant Secretary)
Deaglán Ó Briain (Principal)

12.04 p.m. Mr Clarke left the meeting. 
12.11 p.m. Mr PJ Bradley left the meeting.

  • The Scottish Government

In attendance: Michael Napier (Policy Officer – Culture, External Affairs and Tourism Directorate)
Douglas Ansdell – (Head of the Gaelic and Scots Unit)

12.35 p.m. Mr Brolly left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to have further discussions onindigenous language issues at its meeting on 08 October 2009.

6. Correspondence

The Committee notedcorrespondence from the Finance & Personnel Committee on the Efficiency Delivery Plan.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask what impact recent media reports regarding spending cuts will have on the DCAL budget, departmental priorities and efficiency delivery targets.

7. Chairperson’s Business

12.57 p.m. Mr. McCartney left the meeting.

The Committee noted an invitation to a poetry reading to celebrate Poetry Ireland’s All Ireland Poetry Day on 01 October 2009.

The Committee noted an invitation to the launch of on-line street directories on the PRONI websiteon29 September 2009.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that any members wishing to attend either event should contact the Committee office.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he attended the Brian Kennedy concert in the Ulster Hall on 21 September 2009 to mark the UN Day of Peace.

12.58 p.m. Mr. McCartney re-joined the meeting.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the evidence session with National Museums NI and NIPSA on 01 October 2009 on the museums opening hours issue should be covered by Hansard.

9. Any other business

Mr. McCarthy tabled correspondence from the Society of Genealogists regarding the temporary closure of PRONI.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to consider this correspondence at its meeting on 01 October 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for Finance and Personnel to express its support for the Place Name Project and to ask it to suggest that the Department reconsider its position on the project’s funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold an informal meeting with representatives from the Place Name Project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to sponsor a lunch for the witnesses from Scotland and Wales who attended today’s evidence session.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 01 October 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.02 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
01 October 2009

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us