Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 24 June 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies
The apologies are noted above. 

2. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity

The Committee noted the chapter of the report dealing with solutions.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister for Health in relation to GP/Patient exercise referral schemes.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.39 a.m.

3. Draft Minutes of 17 June 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 17 June 2010.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department on funding of the Somme Heritage Centre.

Lord Browne declared an interest as a trustee of the Somme Heritage Centre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to explore the possibility at a future date of DCAL and the Department of Education funding an educational programme to commemorate the anniversary of the Somme in 2016.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the recognition of Linfield Football Club’s recent achievements.

Lord Browne declared an interest as a supporter of Linfield Football Club.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider at a future date how best domestic and grass roots sporting success should be marked.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting information on how it intends to mark the achievement of Graham McDowell who won the US Open Golf Championship recently.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the forecast outturn for the remainder of this financial year.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting explanation as to why the majority of capital spend has been profiled for March 2011.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the irregular payment to Grand Opera House.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it would return to this issue when the Department’s audited accounts for 2009/2010 have been laid in the Assembly.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation the position of Chair of the Northern Ireland Events Company.

The Committee noted the response from the DETI Minister in relation to the Milk Cup.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to find out if DETI has agreed to fund the Foyle Cup.

The Committee noted the memos from the ETI Committee and the Clerk regarding the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee’s report into television broadcasting in Northern Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to return to this issue at next week’s meeting.

The Committee noted the response from the IFA regarding the DCMS consultation.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council in relation to the gifting of some of its artworks to museums.

5. Briefing from DCAL and Sport NI – Funding for Special Olympics Ulster

The following officials joined the meeting:

Mr Colin Watson, Head of Sport - DCAL
Mr John Beggs – Investment Assurance Manager, Sport NI

The officials briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Clarke joined the meeting at 11.05 a.m.
Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 11.11 a.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the relevant statutory committees to advise them of the issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting it to advise the Committee once the business case has been competed.

6. Briefing on Derry/Londonderry bid for the UK City of Culture 2013

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Mrs Valerie Watts – Town Clerk and CE of Derry City Council
Ms Oonagh McGillian – Temporary Director of Development
Ms Noelle McAlinden – ILEX, Urban Regeneration Council

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr Leonard declared an interest as a member of Coleraine Borough Council.

7. Chairperson’s Business

Members were reminded that children of Ballyholme Primary School, who won the BBC ‘Songs of Praise’ School Choir of the Year will be performing in the Great Hall at 1pm this afternoon.

Members were advised that the Chair will meet with representatives of the Music Foundation for Northern Ireland in relation to music licensing at 2.30 pm this afternoon.

The Chair advised that he had attended an event hosted by POBAL on 23 June 2010 and that papers from the event would be provided to Members for information.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from OFMdFM and the Clerk’s memo in relation to a take-note debate on the Programme for Government Delivery Reports due to be held on Monday 28 June 2010.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Department on the commemoration strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s briefing sessions from the Minister on the language strategy and the NSPCC on the Sexual Offences (NI) Order 2008 be covered by Hansard.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.26 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
1 July 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us