Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 20 May 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee considered draft recommendations for the report.

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.40 a.m. 
Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.41 a.m. 
Mr McClarty left the meeting at 10.41 a.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would amend the draft recommendations for further consideration at the meeting on 27 May 2010.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Education regarding the Sport NI survey of timetabled PE in schools, and the responses from DHSSPS and OFMdFM regarding the Bike to Work Scheme.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 11.19 a.m.
The meeting moved into public session at 11.20 a.m.

3. Draft minutes of 13 May 2010

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 13 May 2010 were agreed.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the cessation of funding for the Lough Neagh and Lower Bann Advisory Committees.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the outturn figures for year end 31 March 2010.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the accessibility of local government owned art.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for the Environment on this matter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council on this matter.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL in relation to the Performance and Efficiency Delivery Unit.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the response to the Committee for Finance and Personnel.

The Committee noted the response from DCAL regarding the target of 10 day payment of invoices.

The Committee noted the response from NI Screen regarding the information displayed on its website.

The Committee noted the response from Belfast International Airport regarding a public inquiry for a runway extension at George Best Belfast City Airport.

The Committee noted the responses from Department of Regional Development (DRD) and Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) regarding bridle paths.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the response from DRD to the British Horse Society Ireland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from DRD and DARD to members of the public who had made inquiries on this issue through Mr Leonard MLA.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from DRD and DARD to the ETI Committee.

5. Briefing from Libraries NI on strategic review of library provision in Greater Belfast

Ms McIlveen rejoined the meeting at 11.40 a.m.

The following representatives from Libraries NI joined the meeting:

David Elliott, Chairperson
Irene Knox, Chief Executive 
Nigel MacCartney, Chairperson of Services Committee 
Anne Connolly, Director of Planning and Performance

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr O’Loan left the meeting at 12.10 p.m.

6. Briefing from Libraries NI on cultural heritage

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer the briefing from Libraries NI on cultural heritage to a future meeting.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 12.16 p.m.

7. Briefing from Foras na Gaeilge and DCAL regarding the restructuring of funding

The Committee noted the document from the Department detailing consultations planned for April – September 2010.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Ferdie Mac an Fhailigh, Chief Executive – Foras na Gaeilge
Éamonn Ó hÁrgáin, Director of Development Services – Foras na Gaeilge
Arthur Scott, Director of Culture – DCAL 
Donal Moran, Head of Languages Branch – DCAL

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Foras na Gaeilge representatives agreed to forward further information to the Committee in relation on the core-funded organizations.

Mr O’Loan rejoined the meeting at 12.35 p.m.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Department and Foras na Gaeilge would return to brief the Committee on this issue at a later date.

8. Consideration of Eel Fishing (Licence Duties) Regulations (NI) 2010 and Eel Fishing Regulations (NI) 2010

Question put and agreed:

‘ that the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Eel Fishing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010 and subject to the Examiner’s report has no objection to the rule’.

Question put and agreed:

‘that the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Eel Fishing (License Duties)Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010 and subject to the Examiner’s report has no objection to the rule’.

9. Chairpersons Business

Members were informed that the Chairperson will attend an event at Dergview Football Club on 21 May 2010.

Members were informed that the Deputy Chairperson will attend the closing concert of the Ulster Orchestra on 21 May 2010.

Members were informed that the Chairperson and Clerk will meet representatives from Special Olympics Ulster on 25 May 2010.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from Dr McCutcheon regarding his private collection of artifacts.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Dr McCutcheon advising him to liaise with the NI Museums Council directly.

11 . Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the forward work programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed thatthe briefings from the Department on the Sexual Offences (NI) Order 2008 and the draft museums policy will be covered by Hansard at the meeting on 27 May 2010.

12. Any other Business

There were no other items of business.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.46p.m

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
27 May 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us