Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 15 October 2009

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.36 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 08 October 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 08 October 2009 were agreed.

3 . Matters Arising

The Committee noted supporting statements regarding museum opening hours.

The Committee noted follow up information from NIPSA regarding museum opening hours.

The Committee noted an update from the Minister regarding the Digital Britain Report.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a meeting with Peter Johnston of the BBC to discuss Digital Britain has been arranged for Wednesday 25 November.

The Committee noted responses from Governing Bodies regarding the Places for Sport Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing with Sport NI on capital funding programmes for grassroots clubs.

The Committee noted correspondence from Edendork GAC regarding funding following an arson attack.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to seek clarity on the matter of funding for this organization and for the recent damage done at the Mary Peters track.

10.50 a.m. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.

The Committee noted responses from DEL and the Arts Council regarding funding for arts courses.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the DEL letter to the Employment and Learning Committee asking for their comment

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council asking for an estimate of the demand for such funding and associated costs. The Committee also agreed to ask the Arts Council whether they would consider creating one-off bursaries for students.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Western Education and Library Board to ask for further information on its dance and drama award.

The Committee noted a response from the DOE regarding the de-listing of historic buildings and monuments.

10.55 a.m. Lord Browne joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to investigate whether the buildings in question are subject to rates.

4. Spend of the Proceeds of Crime

The Committee noted seven responses from departments regarding revenue from recovered proceeds of crime.

The Committee noted an Assembly Research Services paper –‘Assets Recovery Agency: Proceeds from Crime’.

The Committee noted correspondence from the NIO and from DCAL.

The following witnesses from the NIO joined the meeting:

Ronnie Armour – Deputy Director of Policing Operational Support Division

Billy Stevenson – Head of Organised Crime Branch

The witnesses briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session. The witnesses agreed to forward further information regarding the costs of assets recovery.

The Committee noted a written submission from the Scottish Government.

The Committee noted apologies from Mr. McKenzie from the Scottish Government who was due to brief the Committee today.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward written questions regarding the submission to Mr. McKenzie.

11.40 a.m. Ms. McIlveen left the meeting.

11.41 a.m. Mr. McNarry left the meeting.

5. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the DFP Committee regarding the monitoring of post project evaluations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask DCAL for details of its outstanding post project evaluations.

The Committee noted a letter from John McCallister MLA regarding the temporary closure of PRONI offices.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send of copy of the Minister’s reply to the Committee’s recent correspondence on this issue when received.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to investigate whether PRONI had closed last year and if so, why and for how long.

The Committee noted an Independent Review of Economic Policy consultation document.

The Committee noted correspondence and a summary of sickness levels in NI Departments as relevant to DCAL.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to congratulate it on a strong performance.

The Committee noted an email from the Big Telly Theatre Company. The Chairperson advised that he will provide a comment on the Spring Chickens performance to the organisation as requested.

The Committee noted that a copy of the NI Museums Council’s Annual Report and Financial Statements 2008/2009 is available in the Committee office.

The Committee noted that a programme for the Cinemagic Belfast Film & Television Festival for Young People (18 November – 4 December) is available in the Committee Office.

6. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committeethat he, Mr. Bradley and Mr. McCarthy along with the Clerk and Assistant Clerk met with four representatives from the Place-Name project at Queen’s on Tuesday 13 October 2009.

The Committee noted a report of the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister expressing its support for the Place-Name project and to urge the Department to meet with the group.

11.43 a.m. Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting.

The Chairperson advised the Committteethat at next week’s meeting the Clerk will provide a paper outlining the process, workload and timescales should the Committee wish to take forward a Townlands Bill.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he attended the 130 th Anniversary Celebrations of Cliftonville Football Club and the opening of the new facilities at Solitude on Tuesday 13 October 2009 when Cliftonville played Celtic.

The Chairperson advised the Committeethat he will be attending the Echoes of Erin concert hosted by Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann in the Dún Uladh Centre in Omagh on Friday 16 October. Other members wishing to attend should contact the Committee office.

11.44 a.m. Mr. McCarthy left the meeting.

11.45 a.m. Ms. McIlveen re-joined the meeting.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the meeting of Thursday 22 October has been moved back to 1.00 p.m. to allow members to attend the opening of the Ulster Museum in the morning.

11.50 a.m. The Chairperson declared the meeting closed to the public.

11.51 a.m. Mr McCarthy re-joined the meeting.

7. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

Agreed: The Committee agreed the revised draft recommendations that relate to Terms of Reference 4 and 6.

The Chairperson advised that the draft report will be presented at next week’s meeting.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s briefing from the NIO on the sports law and spectator safety consultation should be covered by Hansard.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s briefing with DCAL officials on the draft language strategy should be covered by Hansard.

Agreed: The Committee suggested that the HMS Caroline group and Sean Neeson MLA should be involved at the meeting of Thursday 19 November to discuss the development of maritime, industrial and aeronautical museum provision.

9. Any Other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write a letter of congratulations to the winners of the World Hand Ball Championships.

10. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 22 October 2009 at 1.00 p.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.57 a.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
22 October 2009

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us