Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 14 January 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 7 January 2010

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 7 January 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Chairperson welcomed Mr Billy Leonard as a new member of the Committee.

The Committee noted the Department’s Forecast Outturn from December 2009 – March 2010.

10.38 a.m. Mr PJ Bradley joined the meeting .

The Committee noted correspondence from the Ulster Angling Federation (UAF) on the impact the abolition of the Fisheries Conservancy Board has had on their organisation.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek an update from the UAF in June 2010.

10.40 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting .

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister on the Art Gallery Feasibility Study.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to National Museums NI to express concern that the existing art gallery area in the Ulster Museum has not yet been used to showcase local artists.

10.47 a.m. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.

4. Briefing from Libraries NI on Strategic Review of Libraries

The following representatives from Libraries NI joined the meeting:

Irene Knox, Chief Executive Libraries NI

Dr David Elliott, Chairperson Libraries NI

Nigel Macartney, Chairperson, Services Committee Libraries NI

Anne Connolly, Director of Planning and Performance Libraries NI

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Strategic Review of Libraries. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed : Libraries NI agreed to forward information to the Committee on a number of issues as discussed.

Agreed : The Committee requested that Libraries NI present a further briefing after it has analysed the responses to the consultation.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Trade Union Representatives for Libraries NI staff to a future meeting of the Committee.

5. Committee’s Inquiry into Participation in Sport and Physical Activity

Agreed : The Committee agreed the revised Terms of Reference and title for the Committee Inquiry into Participation in Sport and Physical Activity in Northern Ireland.

Agreed : The Committee agreed the Public Notice requesting written submissions to the Inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to the list of organizations prepared by Research and Library Services which it would write to requesting written submissions.

The Committee noted the correspondence from NI Sports Forum indicating its willingness to contribute to the inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek written submissions from all Departments, Assembly Statutory Committees, the Coalition on Sexual Orientation, the Rural Community Network, the Rural Development Council, the Ulster Farmers Union, the NI Agricultural Producers Association and walking organizations.

The Committee noted the outline plan for the Inquiry.

6. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised that the Committee has written to the Speaker to seek an update on the Assembly’s collection of arts and artifacts. Following the Speaker’s response, consideration will then be given to the issue of a press release on the issue of public art works.

The Committee noted the guest list received from the Department for a reception in honour of local sports people on 28 January 2010.

Agreed : It was agreed that the committee office would seek further clarification on the guest list.

7. Townland Names

Agreed : The Committee agreed the press release on townland names to be issued.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek a further informal meeting with the NI Place Names Project to seek an update on funding issues.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel on Revised Departmental Expenditure Plans 2010-11.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ascertain if he has agreed to the cuts to the Department’s budget and seek information on where the cuts will be made.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Regional Development requesting written evidence on the Development of Accessible Transport.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to respond to the request for written evidence.

The Committee noted correspondence from Milwaukee Irish Fest regarding the development of a major NI Showcase.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Kintra to seek views on the significance of being represented at the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence from Milwaukee Irish Fest to the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment for information.

The Committee noted correspondence from Invest in Inspiration regarding the inquiry into funding of the arts in Northern Ireland.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Invest in Inspiration to advise that it was awaiting the Minister’s response to the inquiry recommendations.

The Committee noted the press release from Sesame Tree advising that a second series of the programme will be screened later this year.

The Committee was advised that the NI Sports Forum has forwarded its annual report 2007/08.

The Committee noted the Armagh Observatory and Planetarium’s Annual report and Accounts for 2008/09.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Environment Committee regarding the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the consultation letter to the Department as requested.

The Committee was advised that the British Medical Association has forwarded its December 2009 Briefing.

The Committee was advised that Voluntary Arts Ireland has forwarded its December 2009 update.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to reschedule the briefing from the Minister on Stadia Development from the 28 January to 11 February 2010.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to add a departmental briefing on spending plans 2010-11 to the Forward Work Programme for 28 January 2010.

The Committee noted a memo from the Clerk on DCAL/NIO consultation with sports bodies regarding the Sexual Offences (NI) Order 2008.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to seek an update from the Department following the results of the consultation with sports bodies and for the Committee to be copied into the correspondence with Minister Goggins.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the departmental briefings on the revised budget and on maritime museum provision on 28 January 2010.

10. Any other business

There was no other business.

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The Chairperson advised Members that a visit to HMS Caroline and “Sailor town” is scheduled for Thursday 21 January 2010.

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 28 January 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.10 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
28 January 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us