Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 13 May 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.37 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee agreed to the proposed approach as outlined in the Clerk’s memo.

The Committee noted the membership of the Sport Matters Monitoring Group provided by the Department.

The meeting moved into public session at 10.40 a.m.

3. Draft minutes of 29 April 2010

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 29 April 2010 were agreed.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the Milk Cup Tournament 2010, which stated that the remit for its funding moved from DCAL to DETI on 1 April 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to await the response from the DETI Minister on the issue.

The Committee noted the response from the IFA in relation to the DCMS consultation on Listed Events.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to the IFA requesting a written response to the issues raised.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister for Education regarding the Cultural Traditions Programme of the Arts Council.

The Committee noted the response from the Department of the Environment in relation to the Committee’s suggestion that all departments incorporate the townland into their official addresses.

The Committee noted the Department’s response to the Environment Committee’s briefing session with the GAA in relation to its Road Safety Campaign.

5. Briefing from DCAL on Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations 2010

The Committee noted various papers in relation to the proposed Fisheries Amendment Regulations.

The following officials joined the meeting:

Karen Simpson, Head of Inland Fisheries, DCAL 
Liam Devlin, DCAL official

The officials briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the proposed Fisheries (Amendment) Regulations 2010 should progress to the next legislative stage.

6. Libraries NI review of libraries services in greater Belfast

The Committee noted the Assembly Research paper in relation to the Libraries NI review of libraries services in greater Belfast.

Aidan Stennett, Assembly Researcher briefed the Committee on the paper.

Raymond McCartney joined the meeting at 11.15 a.m.

7. Briefing from Libraries NI regarding proposed closure of former SEELB Headquarters buildings at Ballynahinch

The Committee noted the briefing paper from Libraries NI and a letter from NIPSA.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Irene Knox , Chief Executive 
Helen Osborne, Director of Service Delivery

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write back to NIPSA advising of the information presented by Libraries NI.

8. Chairperson’s Business

Members were informed that the Chairperson and Kieran McCarthy took part in the Committee event at the Balmoral Show on Wednesday 12 May 2010.

Members were informedthat the Big Lottery Fund is holding an event in the Long Gallery on Tuesday 1 June to provide MLAs with an update on its new funding programmes for 2010 – 2015. The CAL Committee is sponsoring the event.

9. Correspondence

The Committee considered a request from POBAL to brief the Committee in relation to a strategy for the Irish language.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from POBAL on 3 June 2010.

The Committee considered a memo from the Clerk to the Committee for Finance and Personnel in relation to Post Project Evaluations (PPEs).

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting more information in relation to its outstanding PPEs.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Special Olympics requesting to brief the Committee .

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the Special Olympics in its forward work programme.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the forward work programme.

Members were advised that the Committee is hosting a performance by Cahoots, the children’s theatre company on 27 May 2010 at 12.45 pm in the Long Gallery.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to provide lunch for the performers.

Members were informed that a Committee meeting has been scheduled to hear a briefing from the Department in relation to June Monitoring on Tuesday 1 June 2010 in room 135 at 1.15 pm.

Agreed: The Committee agreed thatthe briefing from Libraries NI on the review of libraries services in greater Belfast will be covered by Hansard at the meeting on 20 May 2010.

11 . Any other Business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Linfield Football Club congratulating it on its recent success and to write to the Department to seek clarification on whether it is intending to hold an event to mark the success.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.54 a.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
20 May 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us