Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 11 February 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.07 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 4 February 2010

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 4 February 2010 were agreed.

3. Ministerial Briefing on Stadia Development

The following representatives from the Department and Sport NI joined the meeting:

Mr Nelson McCausland MLA, Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure

Mr Edgar Jardine, Deputy Secretary, Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure

Professor Eamonn McCartan, Chief Executive, Sport NI

The Minister briefed the Committee on stadia development. This was followed by a question and answer session.

10.22 a.m. Mr McNarry joined the meeting.

10.35 a.m. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.

11.05 a.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting.

4. Briefing from the Ulster-Scots Agency

Ms McIlveen declared an interest as a member of the Ulster Scots Academy Implementation Group.

Mr Clarke declared an interest as a member of Randalstown Ulster Scots Cultural Group.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Hazel Campbell, Interim Chief Executive

John Hunter, Interim Chair

Jim Millar, Director of Education and Language

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Ulster-Scots Agency.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster Scots Agency requesting that its report on the ‘Milwaukee Irish Fest’ be forwarded to Members for consideration.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster Scots Agency to seek clarification on whether it is still involved with the Education and Training Inspectorate regarding the materials developed for schools.

5. Committee’s inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee received a briefing from Mr Aidan Stennett, Assembly Research Officer on “Barriers to Sport and Physical Activity Participation” and “The Role of Education”. This was followed by a question and answer session.

12.23 p.m. Mr Dominic Bradley left the meeting.

6. Matters arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding the cost of the Company Inspection of the NI Events Company.

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding contact with S.H.I.P.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request that officials meet with the representatives from S.H.I.P.

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding the Lough Neagh and Lower Bann Advisory Committees.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister for Regional Development regarding current road race laws for cycling.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward a copy of the Minister’s letter to Cycling Ulster and Sport NI.

The Committee noted the response from Naomi Long’s constituency office regarding the use of townland names.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Assembly Commission will be considering the Committee’s request regarding adopting the use of Ballymiscaw as part of the Assembly’s official address.

The Committee noted the further information regarding the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

The Committee noted the response from National Museums NI regarding the selection of art for the gallery at the Ulster Museum.

The Committee noted the response from Ballymoney Borough Council regarding publicly owned art work.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Committee for the Environment, requesting that it urges Councils to display artworks that are in their possession and make public their inventories of art works.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider a draft press release on this issue at its next meeting.

7. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that Rosalie Flanagan has been appointed the new Permanent Secretary for the Department for Culture, Arts and Leisure with effect from 5 February 2010.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he met with Peace Players International on Monday 8 February 2010.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he had been approached by a member of the public regarding the status of the William Kennedy Piping Festival in Armagh.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek details of the Festival from the Arts Council.

The Chairperson advised the Committee of recent media reports regarding the McPeake School of Music in Belfast.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek an update on the School from the Arts Council.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the list of organizations who have expressed concern about the proposed cuts in funding to Sport NI.

The Committee noted the correspondence from NI Screen requesting a meeting with the Committee to provide a summary of their successes and plans for the future.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to add NI Screen to the Forward Work Programme.

12.35 p.m. Lord Browne left the meeting.

The Committee noted the memo from the Regional Development Committee regarding community transport.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the issues paper from the Regional Development Committee to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted the memo from the Regional Development Committee regarding the Roads (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek its views on the clauses of the Bill.

The Committee noted the memo from the OFMDFM Committee regarding a departmental update on the recommendations of its Child Poverty Inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the paper to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted the memo from the OFMDFM Committee regarding the rescheduling of the PfG Delivery Report Take Note Debate.

The Committee noted the correspondence received from BBC NI regarding Radio Foyle Development Proposals.

The Committee noted the memo from the Committee for the Environment regarding the GAA Road Safety Campaign.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the memo to the Department as requested.

9. Departmental responses regarding the use of townland names

The Committee noted the responses from DCAL, DETI, DRD, DARD and DSD regarding the use of townland names in their official addresses.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the departments, with the exception of DARD, to ask them to consult with the Northern Ireland Place Name Project on the relevance of townland names and place names in urban areas.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to contact the Northern Ireland Place Name Project for further information on this issue.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the inquiry evidence session with Sport NI at the meeting on 18 February 2010.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Libraries NI seeking clarification into why Members were not informed about the recent opening of the new library in Antrim.

12. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 18 February 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.40 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
18 February 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us