Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 10 June 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft Minutes of 3 June 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 3 June 2010.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the promotion of townland names.

The Committee noted the response from Mr. Welsh in relation to information forwarded to the Public Accounts Committee for onward transmission to the NI Audit Office.

The Committee noted the Assembly Research Paper in relation to the definition, status and funding of greyhound racing.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the paper to the ETI Committee and the ARD Committee for information.

4. Briefing from DCAL and DETI on draft tourism strategy

The following officials joined the meeting:

Mr. Arthur Scott, Director of Culture – DCAL

Mr. Mick Cory, Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation – DCAL

Ms. Lorraine Fleming, Head of Tourism Policy Branch – DETI

Mr. Paul Rutherford, Deputy Principal Tourism Policy Branch – DETI

The officials briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr. Burns joined the meeting at 10.45 a.m.

Mr. McCartney joined the meeting at 11.22 a.m.

Mr. McCarthy left the meeting at 11.35 a.m.

Lord Browne declared an interest as a councilor on Belfast City Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Investment to suggest that the Ministerial steering group should meet quarterly and provide a proactive lead on the tourism strategy.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Environment Committee expressing the Committee’s concerns regarding the detrimental impact of housing developments on the coastline.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a copy of the DCAL officials’ opening presentation.

5. DCAL update on Companies Inspection of Northern Ireland Events Company (NIEC)

The following officials joined the meeting:

Ms. Rosalie Flanagan, Permanent Secretary

Mr. Mick Cory, Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation

The officials briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr. Burns left the meeting at 12 noon.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule an update from DCAL on the Companies Inspection of the NIEC in six months time.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek information on the chairpersonship of the Northern Ireland Events Company.

6. Committee for Finance and Personnel’s Inquiry on budget scrutiny resources

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel.

7. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised that he and other Members who wish to attend will present the Speaker with a framed map of the townland of Ballymiscaw on 24 June 2010.

8. Correspondence

The Committeenoted the memo from the Committee for Social Development in relation to the Licensing and Registration of Clubs (Amendment) Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the DCAL and Sport NI as requested.

The Committee considered a letter from the Ulster Scots Folk Orchestra.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster Scots Agency, the Arts Council and the Department in relation to the issues raised by the Ulster Scots Folk Orchestra.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Orchestra to brief it before summer recess.

The Committee noted that the following publications are held in the Committee office should Members wish to view them:

Armagh Observatory –‘Annual report for 2009’

Arts Council – ‘Cultural Olympiad Northern Ireland 2009/2010’ and ‘Connections’

NI Audit Office - ‘Improving public sector efficiency – good practice checklist for public bodies’

10.Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the tabled Forward Work Programme.

The meeting moved into closed session at 12.15 p.m.

11. Any Other Business

The Clerk briefed the Committee on the Department’s response on queries raised in relation to its resource accounts for year ended 31 March 2009.

The Clerk briefed the Committee on procedures in relation to dealing with allegations of fraud.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.21 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
17 June 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us