Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 05 November 2009

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.37 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 22 October 2009

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 22 October 2009 were agreed.

3 . Matters Arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the forecast Outturn October 2009 – March 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister on a number of budget issues.

The Committee noted a letter from the Minister regarding CIPFA board training for the Armagh Planetarium and Observatory Management Committee members.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that it be notified when this training is completed.

The Committee noted a response from DCAL regarding 6 outstanding post project evaluations.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that it be notified when the evaluations have been completed.

The Committee noted responses from National Museums NI and the Arts Council regarding lists of publicly held art.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to both organisations to ask if they have plans to rotate stored items so that they are displayed to the public. The Committee also agreed to ask the organisations if they have considered using the public areas of Parliament Buildings to display items.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DCAL to ask when it plans to discuss the art gallery feasibility study with the Arts Council.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the 26 local councils to ascertain what publicly owned art they are holding and the location of the items.

The Committee noted a response from the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs relating to funding for Irish Language Groups.

The Committee noted a response from the Western Education & Library Board regarding grants and funding for students.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the WE&LB on the approach they take to funding for arts courses.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Arts Council regarding grants and funding for students.

4. Committee Review of DCAL’s management of the NIEC and other ALBs – discussion of recommendations with DCAL officials

The Committee noteda response from DCAL to issues raised by the Committee.

The Committee noted aNI Assembly Research Services paper on quorum of audit committees.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Mick Cory - Director of Sports, Museums and Recreation Division, DCAL

Gavin Patrick – Head of Governance Support Unit, DCAL

The Committee took evidence from the departmental officials and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to send a copy of the Assembly Research Services paper on quorum of audit committees to Mr. Patrick.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek further information regarding the Companies Inspectorate investigation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to hold another session on the topic in six months time and to invite the Permanent Secretary to that meeting.

5. Presentation from DCAL officials on World Police and Fire Games 2013

The Committee noted a DCAL briefing paper.

The following witnesses joined the meeting:

Edgar Jardine – Deputy Secretary, DCAL
Alistair McGowan – Interim CEO 2013 WPFG
Colin Lammey – Chief Fire Officer, NI Fire and Rescue Service

11.59 a.m. Mr D. Bradley left the meeting.

The Committee took evidence from the departmental officials and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request further information from the Department on a number of issues.

6. Correspondence

The Committee noted a letter from Daithí McKay regarding availability of TV3 on Sky television.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that Research Services provide a paper on this issue.

The Committee noted an e-mail from the Place Names Project.

The Committee noted a letter from Sustainable NI regarding its post-conference report.

The Committee noted a letter from The Art Fund regarding its museum survey.

The Committee noted a letter from the Big Telly Theatre Company regarding the Spring Chickens Omagh Show.

7. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he attended the launch of the book “The GAA – A People’s History” on Wednesday 04 November in Newry.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

12.29 p.m. Mr D Bradley re-joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the briefing from DCAL officials on the Digital Economy Bill and Video Recordings Bill on 12 November should be covered by Hansard.

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.33 p.m.

9. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the revised chapter 1 of the report which incorporates the amendments agreed on 22 October 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the revised chapter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to table a motion to debate the report in plenary.

10. Any other business

The Committee noted a Research Services briefing document and related press articles regarding BBC efficiency savings and their potential impact on Radio Foyle.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to arrange briefing sessions with the BBC and Radio Foyle staff to discuss this issue.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ms Wendy Hougenval to congratulate her on her recent successes.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to investigate how the successes of local sports people are marked in terms of receptions and events.

11. Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 12 November 2009 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings, Stormont.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.44 p.m.

Mr. Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
12 November 2009

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us