Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 04 March 2010

Venue: CONFERENCE ROOM, SOMME HERTIAGE CENTRE, CONLIG, COUNTY DOWN

The meeting opened in public session at 10.43 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 25 February 2010

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 25 February 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Department of Finance and Personnel in relation to the use of townland names.

Members were advised that Dr Kay Muhr of the Place Name Project is writing a paper for the Committee on the importance of the use of townland names in urban settings.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that once the paper is completed to forward it to all departments for comment.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to queries raised at the meeting of 4 February 2010 regarding February Monitoring.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister to the Regional Development Committee in relation to issues raised by the Community Transport Association.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to the forecast outturns for February and March 2010.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting a breakdown of the outturn for March 2010, and to suggest that a contingency list of projects in a state of readiness is complied.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would provide information on the bidding process regarding Derry/Londonderry’s bid to become UK City of Culture 2013 at its next meeting.

4. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the written submission from The Big Lottery Fund.

The following representatives from The Big Lottery Fund joined the meeting:

Ms Joanne McDowell, Head of Policy Development and Public Affairs
Ms Norrie Breslin, Senior Policy and Development Officer

The representatives briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to The Big Lottery Fund for clarification on a number of issues.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 11.43a.m.

The Committee noted the written submission from the British Medical Association NI.

The following representatives from the British Medical Association NI joined the meeting:

Ms Gráinne Magee, Assembly and Research Officer
Dr Theo Nugent, GP/BMA NI General Practitioners Committee
Dr Vinod Tohani, Public Health Consultant

The representatives briefed the Committee.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the British Medical Association NI for clarification on a number of issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to all departments to ask if they and the bodies which come under their remit operate the Bike to Work Scheme.

Mr P J Bradley left the meeting at 12.31p.m.

5. DCAL engagement with European Issues

The Committee noted the response from the Department detailing European policy issues which fall under its remit.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the paper to the OFMdFM Committee which has recently completed an inquiry into European issues.

The Committee noted the Assembly Research Services paper on the Department’s engagement with Europe.

The Committee noted the letter from the Special EU Programme Board providing an update on Peace III (2007-2013), INTERREG IVA (2007-2013) and INTERREG IVB & IVC funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek further information on its engagement with Europe, including the provision of dedicated policy officers.

6. Chairperson’s Business

Members were advised that the Chairperson attended a musical performance of ‘Simba’, based on ‘The Lion King’ at St Colmcilles Primary School, in St Joseph’s Hall, Omagh on Saturday 27 February 2010.

Members were advised that the Committee’s press release about art works in storage had been covered by BBCNI.

The Committee noted the press release from the Arts Council regarding its funding for arts organisations in 2010/2011.

The Committee noted that a copy of the North South Language Body’s Annual Report and Accounts for year ended 31 December 2005 had been laid in the Assembly and a copy is held in the Committee office.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting an explanation of the delay in publication.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write Foras na Gaeilge to request a list of organisations that it has funded in the last two years.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the letter from Northern Ireland Environment Link and that the enclosed document is in the Committee Office.

The Committee noted the letters from Jenna McCorkell (British Ice Skating Champion), Craigavon Borough Council, and The Stroke Association in relation to the proposed cuts to budgets.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would provide a paper clarifying the proposed cuts to the Sport NI budget.

The Committee noted the letter from the Committee for Employment and Learning regarding its inquiry into Young People (Aged 16 -24) who are not in Education, Employment or Learning.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department as requested.

8. Forward Work Programme

Members noted the updated Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to Hansard coverage of the inquiry evidence sessions with Skills Active, NILGA and the Women’s Centre Regional Partnership.

9. Any other business

The Committee noted the committee office paper in relation to the work programmes of relevant committees in the Republic of Ireland and Scotland.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an urgent paper regarding the overspend on the Grand Opera House’s 2006 refurbishment project.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write the Somme Heritage Centre to thank it for hosting the Committee meeting.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 11 March 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21 in Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.50 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
11 March 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us