Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 04 February 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.38 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Draft minutes of 28 January 2010

Agreed : The draft minutes of the meeting held on 28 January 2010 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the update from the Department regarding the NIO consultation on Sexual Offences-Sports Bodies.

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding the post project evaluation for the PGA golf project.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI regarding the request from Cycling Ulster to amend road racing laws.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to await the response from the Department of Regional Development before writing to Cycling Ulster.

The Committee noted the response from the Department of Finance and Personnel (DFP) regarding adopting the townland name in its official address.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to DFP to ask it to consult with the Northern Ireland Place Name Project on the relevance of townland names and place names in urban areas.

10.42 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting .

The Committee noted the response from Mr Matt McGranaghan regarding the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward Mr McGranaghan’s response to the Department for comment.

The Committee noted the response from the Department on the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the response to the Committee for the Environment.

The Committee noted the response from the Department on the Lough Neagh and Lower Bann Advisory Committees.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the response to the Committee for the Environment.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the Clerk would obtain further information relevant to the Environment Committee motion on this issue and forward to Members.

The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding Good Vibrations’ application to the Events Growth Fund.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask for further information regarding the scoring mechanism used to award funding.

The Committee noted the response from the Department providing an update on the NI Sports Forum’s request for rates relief.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the NI Sports Forum to advise it of the Department’s response.

4. Briefing from DCAL on February Monitoring

The following departmental officials joined the meeting:

Ms Deborah Brown, Director of Finance and Corporate Services
Mr Mick Cory, Director of Sport, Museums and Recreation Division
Mr Arthur Scott, Director of Culture Division

The officials briefed the Committee on the February monitoring round.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to express concern regarding the surrenders made as part of the monitoring round and regarding arms length bodies’ management of budgets.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister to express concern at the delay regarding the receipt of the briefing paper on the February monitoring round.

5. Revised Budget for 2010/2011

Lord Browne declared an interest as a Councillor of Belfast City Council.

Mr Robinson declared an interest as a Councillor of Newtownabbey Borough Council .

The following representatives from Sport NI joined the meeting:

Mr Eamonn McCartan, Chief Executive
Mr Shaun Ogle, Director of Performance
Mr Nick Harkness, Director of Participation and Facilities

The representatives briefed the Committee on the revised budget 2010/2011. This was followed by a question and answer session.

12.05 p.m. Mr McCarthy joined the meeting .

Agreed : The representatives agreed to forward further information on a number of issues.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to Sport NI to seek clarification on the budget for Awards for Sport.

The Committee noted the draft response to the Finance and Personnel Committee on the revised budget for 2010/2011.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to amend the draft response to include a paragraph making the case for protecting sports funding and for the final response to be forwarded to the Finance and Personnel Committee.

6. Representatives from NIPSA regarding review of Libraries NI

The Committee noted the follow up information from Libraries NI following the briefing on 14 January 2010.

The following representatives from NIPSA joined the meeting:

Ms Alison Millar, Assistant Secretary
Ms Mary McVeigh, Branch Chairperson
Ms Josephine Quinn, Committee Member

The representatives briefed the Committee on the review of Libraries NI.

This was followed by a question and answer session.

12.57 p.m. Mr Robinson left the meeting .

7. Committee Inquiry into participation in sport and physical in Northern Ireland

Agreed: The Committee agreed to reschedule the presentation from Assembly Research Services to 11 February 2010.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request a paper from Assembly Research Services on sports participation in schools.

The Committee noted correspondence from Sport NI regarding its Sport and Physical Activity Survey.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite Sport NI to present evidence to the inquiry on 18 February 2010.

8. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a briefing session by Lord Coe on the Olympic and Paralympic Games took place on 2 February 2010 and that a report of this event had been produced by the Committee Office.

9. Correspondence

The Committee noted correspondence from Young at Art relating to the annual report 2008-2009.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the briefing from the Ulster Scots Agency and the briefing from the Minister on Stadia Development.

11. Any other business

There was no other business.

12. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 11 February 2010 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.05 p.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
11 February 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us