Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 03 June 2010

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in closed session at 10.35 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

2. Inquiry into participation in sport and physical activity

The Committee considered the draft recommendations.

The meeting moved into open session at 10.38 a.m.

Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.39 a.m.

3. Draft Minutes of 27 May 2010 and 1 June 2010

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the Committee meeting of 27 May 2010 and the tabled minutes of the Committee meeting of 1 June 2010.

4. Matters Arising

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the Committee’s further queries in regards to the Grand Opera House cost overrun.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek further clarity from the Department on a number of issues.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the NI Audit Office indicating its concern regarding the cost overrun and wish for a prompt review of the matter.

The Committee noted the response from the Department on whether its intends to hold an event to mark Linfield Football Club’s recent success.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to suggest that the Department considers inviting Noel Bailey and David Jeffries to its annual reception to recognize sporting achievement.

The Committee noted the response from the Department in relation to outstanding post project evaluations.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister in relation to the Regional and Minority Languages Strategy.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council in relation to art works that are to be gifted.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council requesting information on how the gifted works will be catalogued.

Ms McIlveen left the meeting at 10.47 a.m.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI in relation to its resource and capital budgets for 2010/2011.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer consideration of the Assembly Research paper on greyhound racing to its next meeting.

5. Briefing from Pobal regarding language strategy

The Committee noted Pobal’s briefing paper.

The following representatives joined the meeting:

Ms Janet Muller – Chief Executive, Pobal

Dr Fionntán de Brún – University of Ulster

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.55 a.m.

Mr Clarke joined the meeting at 11.08 a.m.

Mr McCartney declared an interest as a parent of a child attending an Irish medium school.

The representatives briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to invite the Minister to brief it before summer recess on his approach to and the timeline for the development of a language strategy.

6. Briefing from Waterways Ireland – Pre-consultation on byelaws

The Committee noted Waterways Ireland’s briefing papers.

The following officials joined the meeting:

Mr Brian D’Arcy - Director of Operations

Mrs Caroline McCarroll - Head of Operations Administration

Mr McClarty joined the meeting at 11.35 a.m.

The officials briefed the Committee. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that Waterways Ireland proceed with the consultation on the new byelaws.

7. Chairperson’s Business

Members noted the Clerk’s report on a meeting with representatives from Strategic Planning on Wednesday 26 May 2010 in relation to proposals for a stadium at Blanchflower Park in East Belfast.

Members noted that the briefing from the Minister in relation to stadium development has been delayed until September.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department requesting information on whether the proposals for the Blanchflower Park Stadium will be discussed when the Minister briefs the Committee on stadium development.

8. Committee for Finance and Personnel’s inquiry on budget scrutiny resources

Agreed: The Committee agreed to defer consideration of this matter to next week’s meeting.

9. Correspondence

The Committeenoted the memo from the Justice Committee in relation to the Department of Justice’s proposals for legislation on Sports Spectator Controls.

The Committee noted the memo from the Finance Committee in relation to external advisers appointed by departments.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to seek information from the Department on this issue.

The Committee noted the memo from the OFMdFM Committee in relation to the Commissioner for Older People Bill.

The Committee noted the memo from the Committee for the Environment in regards to road safety and its place in the grants process.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to forward the letter from the Environment Committee to the Department as requested.

The Committee noted the email from the Place-names Project regarding the cessation of its funding.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Queen’s University Belfast requesting details on why it withdrew the Place-names Project’s funding application to Ulster Garden Villages.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that next week’s briefing from DCAL on the NI Events Company should be covered by Hansard.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.25 p.m.

Mr PJ Bradley 
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
10 June 2010

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us