Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 19 March 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.21 a.m.

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Draft Minutes of 12 March 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting of 12 March 2009 were agreed subject to a minor amendment.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Ulster-Scots Agency regarding the Committee’s enquiry on the Curriculum Development Unit.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Ulster-Scots Agency to ask if a strategy for the promotion of the Ulster-Scots language exists and, if so, when it was introduced and approved by the Board.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on whether the Department of Education has brought proposals to the Interdepartmental Charter Implementation Group on Ulster-Scots.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to write to the Minister for Education to ask what plans the Department of Education has in relation to the provision for learning Ulster-Scots in the formal education sector.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister regarding the prohibition on local councils holding broadcast licences.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister outlining the Department’s support for the Creative Youth Partnerships in collaboration with the Department of Education.

The Committee noted the response from Sport NI on the UK Sport Review of athletes.

10.27 a.m. Mr McNarry joined the meeting.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister for Education advising that the Department of Education is currently undertaking a review of the Community Relations Programme.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Sport NI on eligibility for stadia safety funding.

4. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the additional information from the Arts Council on pressures to its existing budget.

Agreed : The Committee agreed the outline plan for the inquiry into the funding of the arts.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite ArtsEkta, Cairncastle LOL 692 Community and Cultural Group, Greater Shantallow Community Arts, and New Lodge Arts to give oral evidence to the Committee on the inquiry.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to invite Belfast City Council to give oral evidence to the Committee on the inquiry.

10.33 a.m. Mr McCausland joined the meeting. 
10.34 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting.

Mr McElduff declared an interest as a member of Omagh Borough Council .

Mr McCausland declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

Mr McCarthy declared an interest as a member of Ards Borough Council.

Mr Ramsey declared an interest as a member of Derry City Council and Director of the Millennium Forum.

Mr Robinson declared an interest as a member of Newtownabbey Borough Council.

Mr Shannon declared an interest as a member of Ards Borough Council.

The following representatives from the Ulster Orchestra joined the meeting:

Mr David Byers (Chief Executive)
Mr Colm Crummey (Finance and Administration Manager)
Mr Colin Stark (Orchestra Player)

10.45 a.m. Lord Browne joined the meeting.

Lord Browne declared an interest as a member of Belfast City Council.

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Ulster Orchestra. This was followed by a question and answer session.

11.35 a.m. Mr McNarry left the meeting.

5. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised Members that the Committee is hosting the Creative Youth Partnerships launch of “Inspiring Creativity” on 25 March 2009 in the Long Gallery.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister on the Bookstart Programme.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to forward the Minister’s correspondence to the Education Committee.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Stuart Cosgrove, Channel 4, on the company’s plans to invest in the nations and regions.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr Steven on his proposals for a sports museum.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Mr Steven to advise him that the museums report was debated in the Assembly on 12 January 2009 and that the Committee will consider the Minister’s response to its recommendations on 2 April 2009.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Northern Ireland Federation of Clubs. The Chairperson advised that the issues raised in the correspondence are the responsibility of the Committee for Social Development.

The Committee noted the copy correspondence to Minister Campbell from the NI Human Rights Commissioner requesting access to the draft UK Third Periodic Report to European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to request a copy of the response from the Minister to the NI Human Rights Commissioner.

The Committee noted the invitation which issued to all Members from the Ulster Orchestra to an event at the Waterfront Hall on 14 March 2009.

The Chairperson advised that an invitation to the Committee has been received to the official launch of the Northern Ireland Library Authority on 2 April 2009.

Agreed : The Committee agreed that the Chair or Deputy Chair should represent the Committee at the launch.

The Chairperson advised that he has accepted an invitation from the Arts Society of Ulster to open their exhibition on 29 April 2009 in the Island Arts Centre, Lisburn.

The Committee noted a request from the Lough Neagh Partnership to brief the Committee.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Department for details of its responsibility in relation to Lough Neagh, before taking a decision on whether to hear from the Lough Neagh Partnership.

11.40 a.m. Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting .

6. Statutory Rule – Public Use of the Records (Management and Fees) Rules ( Northern Ireland) 2009

‘ Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure has considered the Public Use of the Records (Management and Fees) Rules ( Northern Ireland) 2009 and subject to the report of the Examiner of Statutory Rules, has no objection to the rule .’

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department detailing the proposals to make a statutory rule to bring further parts of the Libraries Act into operation.

The Committee noted a press release from Shantallow Community Arts entitled “Does Art Matter Here”.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Chairperson of the Committee for Employment and Learning regarding work shadowing placements during Disability Week, which runs from 22 to 28 June 2009. Mr Shannon requested that the Committee Office forward his office details of the event.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the session on the arts inquiry on 26 March 2009.

9. Any other business

Agreed : The Committee agreed to send a letter of condolence to Liam Neeson following the death of his wife Natasha Richardson.

10. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 26 March 2009 at 10.30 a.m. in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 11.47 a.m.

Mr Barry McElduff MLA 
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us