Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 09 October 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.01 a.m.

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 2 October 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 2 October 2008 were agreed .

3. Matters arising

The Deputy Chairperson asked Members to note the background information and timetable for the Budget 2009 – 2011 Strategic Stocktake. Members were advised that depart mental officials would brief the Committee on the issue at its meeting of 23 October 2008.

The Committee was informed that the meeting between the Chairperson, the Deputy Chairperson, the Beat Initiative, the Department and the Arts Council had been arranged for Thursday 16 October at 3pm in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

4. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 7 October 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 7 October 2008 were agreed.

5. Matters Arising

10.07 a.m. Mr Bradley joined the meeting

10.12 a.m. Mr Robinson joined the meeting

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider the KPMG report in closed session as the last item of business of the meeting.

6. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed : The Committee agreed to note the correspondence from Rose Energy Limited.

The Deputy Chairperson drew the Committee’s attentiontothe Clerk’s report on the meeting held in Dublin on 1 October 2008 with Mr Neil Murray of the National Theatre of Scotland.

The Committee noted that the Chairperson and other Committee Members had received an invitation from Northern Ireland Screen to attend the European Premier of ‘City of Ember’ on Thursday 9 October 2008. The Deputy Chairperson advised that it was his intention to attend.

The Committee noted that the Chairperson had received an invitation to the opening concert of the Ulster Bank Belfast Festival at Queens, on Friday 17 October 2008, and has planned to attend the event.

The Committee noted that the Department had invited all Members to the launch of the Creative Industries Innovation Fund on Friday 17 October 2008 in Limavady.

7. Correspondence

The Committee noted the Minister’s response to the Committee’s request for information on the remit and budget of the Department’s Events Unit.

The Committee noted theMinister’s response to the Committee’s enquiry regarding the Ulster Scots Academy’s rental agreement for Regent House.

Agreed: Membersagreed to invite the Irish Congress of Trade Unions to brief the Committee as part of its future inquiry into the funding of the arts sector.

Agreed: The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr Gordon Best, the Chair of the Construction Industry of Northern Ireland. It was agreed to forwardthe letter to the Committee for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister, and to write to Mr Best to advise him of this.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department enclosing a copy of The Libraries (2008) Act Commencement No 1 Order, made on 25 September 2008.

The Committee noted the Minister’s response detailing capital investment internal re-allocations made as a result of the June monitoring round. The Deputy Chairperson advised that the Department would brief the Committee on 27 November 2008 on the December monitoring round and end of year estimates.

8. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted its forward workplan.

9. Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland

The Committee noted the Department’s response to the Local Museum and Heritage Review published in 2003.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Clerk to seek further details on the Cultural Forum and its Heritage Sub Group.

The Deputy Chairperson asked Members to declare any relevant interests in advance of hearing oral evidence.

Lord Browne declared an interest as a Councillor in Belfast City Council and as a trustee of the Somme Association;

Mr McCarthy declared an interest as a Councillor in Ards Borough Council;

Mr McCausland declared an interest as a Councillor in Belfast City Council;

Mr McCartney declared an interest as a trustee of the Bloody Sunday Trust;

Mr Ramsey declared an interest as a Councillor in Derry City Council;

Mr Robinson declared an interest as a Councillor in Newtownabbey Borough Council, and as a former member of the Territorial Army and;

Mr Shannon declared an interest as a Councillor in Ards Borough Council, and as a member of the Royal Artillery Association.

Oral evidence session with North Down Borough Council

Members took oral evidence from Mr David Howard and Mr Ian Wilson, representingNorth Down Borough Council . A question and answer session followed. The Deputy Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

10.48 a.m. Mr Bradley left the meeting.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Oral evidence session with the Royal Irish Regiment Museums Group

Members took oral evidence from Lt Col (retd) Harvey Bicker, Ms Amanda Moreno, Mr Jack Dunlop , and Major Colin Gray representing The Royal Irish Regiment Museums Group. A question and answer session followed. The Deputy Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Oral evidence session with the Ulster Sports Museum Association

Members took oral evidence from Mr Ronnie Spence, Mr Nigel Carr and

Mr Ryan Feeney, representing the Ulster Sports Museum Association . A question and answer session followed. The Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

11.58 a.m. Mr McCarthy left the meeting.

11.58 a.m. T he Deputy Chairperson vacated the Chair.

In the absence of the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson, Mr Ramsey proposed that Mr McCartney do take the chair. Mr McNarry seconded the motion. No other nominations were received and Mr McCartney was duly elected as chairperson.

11.59 Mr McCartney assumed the Chair.

Oral evidence with the Arts Council of Northern Ireland

12.02 Mr McCartney vacated the chair.

12.02 The Deputy Chairperson assumed the chair.

Members took oral evidence from Ms Roisin McDonough, Ms Noírín McKinney and Mr Nick Livingston representing the Arts Council of Northern Ireland . A question and answer session followed. The Deputy Chairperson thanked the witnesses for attending.

Hansard recorded the evidence session for publication in the Committee’s report.

Agreed:Membersagreed to invite the Royal Irish Regiment Museums Group and the Ulster Sports Museum Association to brief the Committee at a later date on their proposals. It was also agreed to ask the Arts Council of Northern Ireland to brief the Committee on its proposals for a new art gallery at a future meeting.

The Committee moved into closed session at 12.25 p.m.

10. Northern Ireland Events Company – KPMG Report

The Committee discussed the way forward following its meeting with the Permanent Secretary on 7 October 2008.

Agreed: Members agreed that the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Clerk

would meet with the Comptroller and Auditor General.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Comptroller and Auditor General to

brief Members on matters pertaining to the Northern Ireland Events Company.

12.45 p.m. Mr Ramsey left the meeting.

The Deputy Chairperson advised that in accordance with the procedural guidance, notice had been given to all Members of the intention to revisit the previous decision not to request the Department to issue the full KPMG Report to all Committee Members.

Mr Brolly proposed that the Committee request that the Department issue the full KPMG Report to all Committee Members in confidence. Mr Jim Shannon seconded the proposal.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that the full KPMG report be provided to all Committee members in confidence.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to ask the Department to provide a position report on the Northern Ireland Events Company.

Agreed : The Committee agreed to hold a further meeting to discuss outstanding questions in relation to the Northern Ireland Events Company.

11. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 16 October 2008 at 10.00 am in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 1.17 p.m.

Mr David McNarry MLA 
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
16 October 2008

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us