Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 05 March 2009

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.35 a.m .

1. Apologies

The apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft Minutes of 26 February 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 26 February 2009 were agreed.

3. Draft Minutes of 3 March 2009

Agreed: The draft minutes of the meeting held on 3 March 2009 were agreed.

4. Matters arising

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that the issue of the multi-sports stadium would be discussed at the meeting of 12 March 2009.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister providing further information in relation to outstanding creditors of the Northern Ireland Events Company. The Committee noted the issue of the damage to the reputations of promoters had not been addressed in this response.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Minister seeking the outstanding information.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council on the appointment of a traditional arts officer.

The Committee noted the response from the Arts Council in relation to its role in the 2012 Olympic Games.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council requesting further information on how it is actively helping organizations achieve the Inspire Mark.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on marking the achievements of Mr Tony McCoy.

The Committee noted the Department’s response on the contracts awarded to local companies in relation to the 2012 Olympic Games.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister on issues the Department is taking forward which relate to the Barroso Taskforce Report.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to ask what work it is undertaking to help arts organizations access the funding from the EU Culture Programme.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister advising of further easements and the latest forecast outturns for February and March 2009.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister which summarises the Department’s position on February monitoring.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister relating to the North South Ministerial Council Statement on Waterways Ireland made on 3 February 2009.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Chair of Creative Youth Partnerships (CYP) and the copy of correspondence from the Department of Education to all Education and Library Boards in relation to CYP.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to sponsor an event for CYP in the Long Gallery on 25 March 2009 to launch their document entitled “Inspiring Creativity”.

10.45 a.m. Mr Shannon joined the meeting.

5. Inquiry into the funding of the arts in Northern Ireland

The Committee received a briefing from Ms Meadhbh McCann, Research and Library Services on ‘Economic and Social Impacts arising from Sports, Arts, Museums and Libraries’ and ‘Economic Modelling of Value Impacts of DCAL Investment’. This was followed by a question and answer session. Ms McCann agreed to provide further information on the economic value of sport.

The following representative from PricewaterhouseCoopers and officials from the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure joined the meeting:

Mr Philip McDonagh (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
Dr Michael Willis (DCAL Head of Statistics Branch)
Ms Anne Tohill (DCAL Arts Branch)
Ms Michelle Scott (DCAL official)

11.07 a.m. Lord Browne joined the meeting. 
11.12 a.m. Mr Bradley joined the meeting.

The representatives and officials briefed the Committee on the ValCAL study. This was followed by a question and answer session. The departmental officials agreed to forward further information to the Committee.

6. Selection of case study for review of the Department’s management of its arms length bodies

Agreed: The Committee agreed to select the Arts Council and Sport NI as case studies.

7. Chairperson’s business

The Deputy Chairperson referred Members to an invitation from Skillset to a parliamentary reception on 11 March 2009 at the House of Commons.

The Deputy Chairperson referred Members to the agenda for the British-Irish Council Summit meeting which was held on 20 February 2009 and which Minister Campbell attended.

The Deputy Chairperson referred Members to the summary report of issues being considered by Committees in other legislatures.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence from the outgoing Administrator of Youth Music Theatre.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to Ms Connor to wish her well in the future.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Swim Ulster to the Deputy Chairperson requesting to meet with the Committee to discuss issues relating to out of hours access for elite swimmers to public facilities.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to add Swim Ulster to the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department and Sport NI for information on a strategy for swimming.

The Deputy Chairperson advised that correspondence between the Department and the Committee on safety at sports grounds was being released by the Department as part of a Freedom of Information request.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to ask the Department who made the Freedom of Information request.

The Committee noted the follow-up correspondence from the Permanent Secretary on the Committee’s review of the Department’s management of the Northern Ireland Events Company.

9. Visit to Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart

The Committee noted the itinerary for the visit to the Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart on 12 March 2009.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the press release for the meeting in the Flowerfield Arts Centre.

10. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request Hansard coverage for the session on the arts inquiry on 12 March 2009.

11. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Clerk would pass on the Committee’s best wishes to the Chairperson.

12. Date and time of next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 12 March 2009 in Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart at 10.30 a.m.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.07 p.m.

Mr David McNarry MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
12 March 2009

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us