Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 15 May 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.05 a.m.

1. Apologies

Apologies are detailed above.

2. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 8 May 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 8 May 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Ulster Historical Foundation on funding issues.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request Mr Colin Watson, Head of the Department’s Museums Branch to attend a Committee meeting to discuss this issue in greater detail.

The Committee noted the information supplied by Artability following their correspondence to the Committee on funding concerns.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to wait until the Arts Council of Northern Ireland and the Department replied to the Committee with their views on Artability before considering whether to seek a presentation from them.

The Chairperson referred to correspondence received from the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages (EBLUL) following their presentation to the Committee on 1 May 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department raises the issues outlined in the correspondence from EBLUL.

The Committee noted the response from OFMDFM on the proportion of the Masterplan Costs to the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to raise the issue of the procedure for organising photographers for Committee events requiring press publicity with the Commission.

4. Draft Minutes of the meeting held on 13 May 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 13 May 2008 were agreed.

5. Chairperson’s Business

The Committee noted correspondence from the Sheridan Group outlining its concerns on the location of the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to await the outcome of the Department of Finance & Personnel appraisal of the business case on the proposed multi-sports stadium before seeking a presentation with the Sheridan Group.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Northern Ireland Music Rights Society (NIMRS) following its presentation to the Committee on 17 April 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to contact the Department to seek the outcome of a forthcoming discussion with the Minister and his counterpart in the Scottish Parliament on the issue of music rights.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he would be meeting the Chair and Clerk of the Joint Committee for Arts, Sport, Tourism, Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs in Dublin on 21 May 2008.

Mr McCartney joined the meeting at 10.32 a.m.

6. Briefing from POBAL

The following representatives from POBAL joined the meeting:

Ms Janet Muller (Chief Executive)

Mr Nic Sadlier (Development Worker)

Mr Séamus MacAindreasa (Development Worker)

The representatives briefed the Committee on POBAL.

Mr McNarry left the meeting at 10.40 a.m.

Mr Shannon joined the meeting at 10.45 a.m.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to seek an update on the progress of the Irish Language Broadcasting Fund.

POBAL agreed to write to the Committee providing examples of community development

7. Briefing from Gymnastics Northern Ireland

The following representatives from Gymnastics Northern Ireland joined the meeting:

Mrs Elaine Bailie (Finance & Administration Director)

Mrs Glenda Webb (Business Development Manager)

Mr Andy McDowell (Representative)

The representatives briefed the Committee on Gymnastics Northern Ireland.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask how the target, outlined in the Northern Ireland Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation 2007-2017, to have children of compulsory school age participating in a minimum of two hours quality education, will be implemented.

8. Correspondence

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 6 May 2008 from the Minister on Ulster Rugby’s development plans for Ravenhill.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 May 2008 from the Committee for Finance and Personnel on the work of Sir David Varney on the Northern Ireland Economy.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to consider this issue at the next meeting.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 7 May 2008 from the Department on the Safe Sports Grounds Regulations.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to defer consideration of the Safe Sports Grounds Regulations as requested by the Department.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 May 2008 from the Committee for Finance and Personnel on the Performance and Efficiency Delivery Unit.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he and the Deputy Chair have received an invitation from the Erne and Melvin Enhancement Company to tour the fish hatchery in June 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 8 May 2008 from National Museums Northern Ireland which details outstanding issues following its presentation to the Committee.

9. Visit to Londonderry 22 May 2008

The Committee agreed the draft itinerary for the forthcoming visit to the Millennium Forum on 22 May 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that an Assembly Researcher should accompany the Committee on the visit on 22 May 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that there was no requirement for Hansard coverage at the visit on 22 May 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed the draft press release for the visit on 22 May 2008.

10. Committee’s Inquiry into the “Impact of the lack of a Museums Policy”

The Committee deferred consideration of this issue until the meeting on 22 May 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the draft Terms of Reference for the inquiry should include consideration of the guidelines currently in use by the department.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the Northern Ireland Museums Council should be asked to attend a Committee meeting on 29 May 2008 to discuss issues relating to a museums policy.

12. Briefing from Northern Ireland Karate-Do-Wado-Kai

The following representatives from Karate-Do-Wado-Kai joined the meeting:

Mr Oliver Brunton (Chairperson)

Ms Violet Brown (Secretary)

Mr Louis Edmondson (Publicity Officer)

The representatives briefed the Committee on Northern Ireland Karate-Do-Wado-Kai.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to Belfast City Council, Sport Northern Ireland and the Department to ask what action is being taken to help relocate Karate-Do-Wado-Kai in Belfast city centre and to fund a “Centre of Excellence”.

13. Any other business

There was no other business.

14. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 22 May 2008 at 10.30 a.m. in the Millennium Forum, Londonderry.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.36 p.m.

MR BARRY MCELDUFF MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us