Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 12 June 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened in public session at 10.06 am

1. Apologies

There were no apologies

2. Draft Minutes of 5 June 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting on 5 June 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted the correspondence from Assembly Research which provided clarification on the Irish Language Broadcast Fund and the services provided in Ulster-Scots.

The Clerk briefed the Committee on the Ofcom Public Service Broadcasting Fund Conference which she attended on 6 June 2008.

4. Discussion on the Ministerial Statement on the Northern Ireland Events Company

The Chairperson advised the Committee that due to the replacement of Mr Edwin Poots MLA as Minister for the Department for Culture, Arts and Leisure by Mr Gregory Campbell MLA it had not been possible to arrange Minister Campbell’s attendance at the Committee meeting to discuss the Ministerial Statement on the Northern Ireland Events Company. The Chairperson further advised that the Department has since advised that due to the ongoing investigation of the Northern Ireland Events Company, the attendance of Minister Campbell was unlikely to provide the Committee with any additional information.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request the attendance of the Minister to discuss the Northern Ireland Events Company.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to Mr Edwin Poots MLA to thank him for his work with the Committee during his Ministerial appointment.

Mr Shannon joined the meetingat 10.15 am

5. Discussion on the launch of the Northern Ireland Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation

The following representatives joined the meeting: 
Mr Jack Palmer (Head of Sport, DCAL)
Mr Ciaran Mee (DCAL Official)
Mr Eamonn McCartan (Chief Executive, Sport NI)
Mr Nick Harkness (Finance Manager, Sport NI)

Mr McNarry joined the meeting at 10.32 am 
Lord Browne joined the meeting at 10.38 am 
Mr Robinson joined the meeting at 10.46 am 
Mr McCartney left the meeting at 10.48 am 
Mr Brolly joined the meeting at 10.49 am 
Mr Ramsey left the meeting at 11.27 am 
Mr Ramsey rejoined the meeting at 11.30 am

The representatives briefed the Committee on the launch of the Northern Ireland Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation. This is followed by a question and answer session.

6. Chairpersons Business

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 5 June 2008 from the Minister on the UK Government’s Draft Marine Bill.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to forward a response to the Departmenton the UK Government’s Draft Marine Bill.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Brenda Kent, Voluntary Arts Ireland on local authority arts spend.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to discuss the local authority arts spend for 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2006-07 after summer recess when all the figures would be available.

The Chairperson briefed the Committee on his visit to the Erne and Melvin Enhancement Company’s Fishery in Florencecourt, County Fermanagh.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that arrangements were being made for the Chair and Deputy Chairperson and the Clerk to meet with the new Minister for the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure.

Mr McNarry left the meeting at 11.31 am 
Lord Browne left the meeting at 11.31 am 
Mr Bradley left the meeting at 11.31 am

7. Presentation from Rally Ireland

The following representatives from Rally Ireland joined the meeting:
Mr Gordon Noble (Clerk of the Course)
Mr Ronan Morgan (Co-promoter of Rally Ireland)

The representatives briefed the Committee on Rally Ireland.

Mr McNarry rejoined the meeting at 11.52 am

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment to advise that the Committee has received a presentation from Rally Ireland and that the Committee are giving its full support to the organisation as it makes preparations for future rally events and to suggest that there could also be an important role for the Department in supporting this successful bi-annual event.

Mr Ramsey left the meeting at 12.10 pm

8. Statutory Rules

The following officials from the Fisheries Conservancy Board joined the meeting: 
Mrs Karen Simpson (Chief Executive)
Mrs Fiona Lavery (Support Manager)

The officials briefed the Committee on the proposals for Statutory rules.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that the Fisheries Conservancy Board proceeds with the following Statutory Rules:
Fisheries (Amendment) Byelaws (NI) 2008
Fisheries (Conservation of Coarse Fish) Byelaws (NI) 2008

Mr McCausland left the meeting at 12.18 pm 
Mr McCartney rejoined the meeting at 12.18 pm

9. Progress Report on the Committee’s Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Museum of the Royal Ulster Rifles is seeking an extension to the closing date for receipt of submission to the Inquiry until 13 June 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to extend the closing date for receipt of submissions for the Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland to the Museum of the Royal Ulster Rifles.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to receive oral evidence from the Somme Association in relation to the Inquiry into the Development of a Museums Policy for Northern Ireland.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a summary of the written submissions would be available for the meeting on 19 June 2008 for Members consideration.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to hear in principle oral evidence at the meetings on 26 June 2008 and 3 July 2008.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted the guidelines on the protocol between the Press Office and the Committee Office.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Press Office to ascertain if media monitoring was available to the Committee.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from the Assembly Commission on the role of the Assembly Press Office.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 4 June 2008 from Mr Bernard Thompson, Newington Football Club inviting Members to the launch of the “Head 2 Toe” event in July 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from Voluntary Arts Ireland which invites Members to the Voluntary Arts England Conference on Arts Participation on 2 July 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request copies of the research documents which will be launched at the conference.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister and the Arts Council of Northern Ireland to request a meeting with Voluntary Arts Ireland to discuss the formation of a joint forum.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from the Chairperson of the Social Development Committee on the Department’s contribution to the Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that no response was necessary.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from the Minister on the Water Framework Directive Draft River Basin Management Plans.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that a briefing from Departmental officials was not required.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from the Minister on the Irish Language Broadcast Fund.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ascertain if consideration was being given to a parallel fund for the Ulster-Scots language.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 9 June 2008 from the Minister on the Department’s Accounting Officer’s assessment of the economic case for the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to invite Mr Paul Sweeney to the Committee to discuss the assessment.

Agreed – the Chairperson agreed to discuss a number of issues in relation to the proposed multi-sports stadium at the meeting with the Minister and Deputy Chairperson on 19 June 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 10 June 2008 from the Northern Ireland Marine Task Force which invites the Committee to an event in the Exploris Aquarium on 4 September 2008, followed by a boat trip on Strangford Lough.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to hold a Committee meeting in the Portaferry area in the morning of 4 September 2008 followed by the Exploris Aquarium event in the afternoon.

11. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that there was no requirement for Hansard coverage for the meeting on 19 June 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that Committee staff could authorise Hansard coverage if they feel that late notice agenda items should be covered.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the meeting on 26 June 2008 would be held in Cultra Manor with the option of a tour of the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that a tour of the Transport Museum would be preferable given the extensive area covered by the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

12. Any other business

Agreed – the Committee agreed to invite PriceWaterhouseCoopers to brief the Committee on Phase 1 of the ValCal study and to ascertain if there would be a cost involved for the presentation.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that five Irish language newsletters are received each month from POBAL for Committee Members however this could be increased if all Members wished to receive a copy.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that five copies of the Irish Language newsletter were adequate.

13. Date and time of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will be on Thursday 19 June 2008 at 10.00 am in Room 152, Parliament Buildings.

The Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.56 pm

MR BARRY MCELDUFF MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure 
19 June 2008

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us