Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 06 March 2008

Venue: Room 152, Parliament Buildings

The meeting opened at 10.34 a.m. in public session.

1. Apologies

Apologies as detailed above.

2. Draft minutes of the meeting held on 28 February 2008

The draft minutes of the meeting held on 28 February 2008 were agreed.

3. Matters arising

The Committee noted correspondence from the Forum for Local Government and the Arts on the Northern Ireland Theatre Initiative.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Music Theatre 4 Youth and Caitriona McLaughlin, Theatre Director on the Northern Ireland Theatre Initiative.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to Music Theatre 4 Youth and Caitriona McLaughlin to thank them for their interest and to advise that the Committee may contact them at a future date.

The Committee noted the correspondence dated 4 March 2008 from the Minister which provided an update on the planning issues for the proposed multi-sports stadium.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that consideration of the research paper on the development of broadcasting had been a provisional item on the Forward Work Programme for today’s meeting but has been deferred due to time constraints.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to consider a suitable date to reschedule consideration of the research paper at the first meeting following recess.

Mr Shannon arrived at 10.41 a.m. 
Mr Robinson arrived at 10.42 a.m.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that a provisional date of 3 April 2008 has been set aside for the attendance of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), the Irish Football Association (IFA) and Ulster Rugby to discuss issues surrounding the proposed multi-sports stadium, however the GAA have advised that they will not be making any further active inputs until such times as a decision has been made by the political process.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the GAA to express their disappointment and to request that they reconsider attending on the 3 April 2008. The Committee has new Members who have little background knowledge on issues surrounding the multi-sports stadium.

The Deputy Chairperson sought agreement to approach Stephen Watson, Sports Presenter from the BBC, to present the reception on 1 May 2008 for Special Olympics Ireland and the Transport Games.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to request the attendance of Stephen Watson on the 1 May 2008.

The Committee noted the information supplied by the Department on the fees/costs paid to date to all consultants for work on the proposed multi-sports stadium.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Department to request further clarification in relation to the payment of fees paid to consultants and the design for the proposed multi-sports stadium.

4. Chairperson’s Business

The Deputy Chairperson advised that the Chairperson will be attending the Voluntary Arts Ireland launch of “Time to Create” on 10 March 2008.

5. Briefing from the Community Relations Council

The following representative from the Community Relations Council joined the meeting:
Dr Duncan Morrow (Chief Executive)

Dr Morrow briefed the Committee on issues surrounding the proposed multi-sports stadium. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Mr McCausland left the meeting at 11.23 a.m. 
Mr McCausland rejoined the meeting at 11.33 a.m.

6. Presentation from Equity

The following representatives from Equity joined the meeting:
Mr Drew McFarlane ( Northern Ireland Secretary)
Mr JJ Murphy (Actor)

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Northern Ireland Theatre Initiative. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Arts Council to request that it gives consideration to inviting the Scottish National Theatre to perform in Northern Ireland

7. Presentation from the Ulster-Scots Agency

The following representatives from the Ulster-Scots Agency joined the meeting:
Mr Mark Thompson (Chairperson)
Mr George Patton (Chief Executive)

The representatives briefed the Committee on the Ulster-Scots Agency. This was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Education Committee to express concern that CCEA have removed traditional music tuition from the curriculum and to ask why this decision was taken.

Mr Bradley left the meeting at 12.20 p.m.

8. Visit to Armagh

The Deputy Chairperson referred the Committee to the draft itinerary and press release for the forthcoming Committee visit to Armagh on 13 March 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed the draft itinerary and draft press release.

9. Forward Work Programme

The Committee noted the Forward Work Programme.

Agreed – the Committee agreed that there was no requirement for any Hansard coverage at the meeting on 13 March 2008.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that a date has not yet been confirmed to invite the Minister, the Arts Council and Sport NI to answer questions about the budget.

10. Correspondence

The Committee noted the background brief on the launch of Sesame Tree production.

The Committee noted the invitation from the Clerk of Finance and Personnel to an awareness workshop for MLA’s on public procurement.

The Committee noted the Department’s response dated 28 February 2008 which detailed information on Arts Council funding for drama.

The Committee noted the response from the Minister dated 28 February 2008 on the Salmon and Inland Fisheries Forum Consultation.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to defer consideration of this issue until the meeting on 3 April 2008.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the National Union of Journalists and the Northern Ireland Broadcasting on proposed redundancies and centralisation.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to raise concerns outlined by the National Union of Journalists and Northern Ireland Broadcasting.

The Committee noted the correspondence from Linguistic Operations Branch dated 29 February 2008 following their attendance at the Committee meeting on 7 February 2008.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to Linguistic Operations Branch to ask what progress had been made during the period 2002 to 2006 in relation to Indigenous, Minority and Lesser-Used Languages.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games dated 29 February 2008, which details the London 2012 Pre-Games Training Camp Guide.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to consider the role of the Committee in relation to this matter and to keep this item on the agenda for a future meeting.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Clerk of the Committee for OFMDFM dated 3 March 2008 which provides confirmation of budget figures for Children and Young People.

Agreed – the Committee agreed to write to the Minister to ask how the £1 million allocation to the Department will be spent.

The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department dated 29 February 2008 on the Consultation on the draft of “The Northern Ireland Strategy for Sport and Physical Recreation 2007-2017”.

The Deputy Chairperson advised the Committee that Advice NI has forwarded documents to the Committee for information – Draft Programme for Government, Budget and Investment Strategy, OFMDFM Committee Child Poverty Inquiry and the Social Development Committee Benefit Uptake Evidence.

11. Any other business

There was no other business to discuss.

12. Date, time and place of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure will take place on Thursday 13 March 2008 at 10.30 a.m. in The Market Place Theatre, Armagh.

The Deputy Chairperson adjourned the meeting at 12.47 p.m.

MR DAVID MCNARRY MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure
2008

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us