Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 27 November 2012
Venue: Room 106
The meeting began at 12.34pm.
1.1 Apologies were noted from Pat Ramsey.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 20 November 2012
2.1 The minutes were agreed and signed by the Speaker.
3. Matters arising
3.1 There were no matters arising.
4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 3 December 2012
4.1 Members agreed to schedule motions from the DUP and the UUP to change party memberships on Committees, on Monday 3 December 2012.
4.2 Members noted that in addition to the Executive Business agreed previously, a motion to approve the Licensing (Irresponsible Drinks Promotions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012, and a motion to approve the Registration of Clubs (Irresponsible Drinks Promotions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 were also scheduled for Monday 3 December.
4.3 Members noted the possibility of further Ministerial Statements on that day.
4.4 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business agreed previously for Tuesday 4 December, a statement from the Minister of Education on ‘Early Years issues’ had been scheduled.
4.5 There was no change to the Committee Business already agreed.
Private Members’ Business
4.6 Having reviewed the indicative timings for Monday 3 December members agreed to schedule a Private Members’ Motion. Under the system for allocation, the selection lay with the DUP. The following motion was selected:
- ‘Report on Action Against Trafficking in Human Beings’ (Lord Morrow, Mr P Weir, Mr J Wells).
4.7 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for the debate, with the usual timings.
4.8 Junior Minister McCann confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
4.9 The draft Order Papers were agreed.
5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 10 December 2012
5.1 Members noted that, along with Question Time to the Minister of Education and the Minister for Employment and Learning, the following Executive Business was scheduled for Monday 10 December:
- Motion to approve the Occupational and Personal Pension Schemes (Automatic Enrolment) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012;
- Motion to approve the Occupational and Personal Pension Schemes (Automatic Enrolment) (Amendment No.3) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012; and
- Motion to approve the Pension Protection Fund (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.
5.2 Members noted that a number of Ministerial Statements may also be scheduled on that day.
5.3 Members noted that, along with Question Time to the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment and the Minister of the Environment, the following Executive Business was scheduled for Tuesday 11 December:
- Final Stage of the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill;
- Final Stage of the Charities Bill; and
- Motion to approve the draft General Register Office (Fees) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.
5.4 Members agreed to schedule a motion on Monday 10 December, from the Assembly and Executive Review Committee on its report on the Review of the Number of NI Departments, with the usual timings.
5.5 Members noted that an expected motion from the Committee on Procedures on its Report on Topical Questions, provisionally scheduled for Monday 10 December, had been postponed until after the Christmas recess.
Private Members’ Business
5.6 Members agreed to schedule no Private Members’ motions on Monday 10 December, but one on Tuesday 11 December. Under the system of allocation, the selection lay with Sinn Féin. The following motion was proposed:
- ‘The Ballymurphy Massacre’ (Mr P Sheehan, Mr A Attwood, Mr T Lunn).
5.7 The Speaker advised that he had written to Ms Ruane, drawing attention to the provisions of Standing Order 73, and setting out the matters that had informed his decision that the circumstances at present were such that there was no extent to which he could allow the motion to be debated under the discretion allowed to him by Standing Order 73(1). Ms Ruane indicated that she wished to take time to consider the letter and would come back in due course.
5.8 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 11 December. Under the system of allocation, the selection lay with Sinn Féín.
The following topic was proposed and selected:
- ‘Suicide rate in Moyle District’ (Mr D McKay)
5.9 Junior Minister McCann advised that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
5.10 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.
6. Any other business
6.1 There was no other business.
7. Date and Time of next meeting
7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 3 December 2012 in Room 106.
The Chairperson brought the meeting to a close at 12.42pm.