Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 23 October 2012

Venue: Room 106

The meeting began at 12.33pm.

1. Apologies

1.1 Apologies were noted from Mr Gerry Kelly. The Speaker welcomed Mr Raymond McCartney as the Sinn Féin substitute.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2012

2.1 The minutes were agreed and signed by the Speaker.

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.  

4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 5 November 2012

Public Petitions

4.1 Members agreed to schedule the presentation of two public petitions on Monday 5 November; the first by Mr Trevor Clark relating to ‘New Build for Parkhall Integrated College’; and the second by Mr Alban Maginness relating to the ‘Proposed closure of Artillery Youth Centre, North Belfast’.  

Executive Business

4.2 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business agreed previously, a statement from the Minister for Employment and Learning on the Northern Ireland Employment Law Review was scheduled for Monday 5 November.

4.3 Members noted that there were no changes to the previously agreed Executive Business scheduled for Tuesday 6 November. Members also noted the possibility of further statements on both days.

Committee Business

4.4 Members noted that there was no change to the Committee Business already scheduled.

Private Members’ Business

4.5 The DUP requested that the motion on ‘Funding for Boxing’, scheduled for Monday 5 November, be postponed until Monday 12 November 2012. The following motion was scheduled in the vacant slot on Monday 5 November:

  • ‘Support for Councillor Sammy Brush’ (Rt Hon P Robinson; Lord Morrow; Mrs A Foster).

4.6 Sinn Féin requested that the motion on ‘EU Funding for 2014-2020’, scheduled for Tuesday 6 November 2012, be changed. The following motion, co-sponsored by the Green Party, was scheduled in its place:

  • ‘Voting Age’ (Mr S Agnew; Ms M Fearon).

4.7 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.

4.8 The draft Order Papers were agreed.  

5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 12 November 2012

Executive Business

6.1 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister for Social Development, and the Minister of Justice, no further Executive Business was scheduled for Monday 12 November.

6.2 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, and the Minister of Education, no further Executive Business was scheduled for Tuesday 13 November.

Committee Business

6.3 There was no Committee Business requested.  

Private Members’ Business

6.4 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ motions on Monday 12 November and two on Tuesday 13 November. Under the system of allocation, the selections lay with the DUP, SDLP, DUP and Sinn Féin.

The following motions were selected:

  • ‘Funding for Boxing’ (Miss M McIlveen, Mr P Weir, Mr S Douglas, Mr W Humphrey);
  • ‘Construction Industry’ (Mr P McGlone, Mr J Byrne, Dr A McDonnell);
  • ‘Inspection Report into Schools’ (Mr J Craig, Mr M Storey); and
  • ‘Legacy of the 2012 Paralympic Games’ (Mr O McMullan, Ms R McCorley, Mr C Ó hOisín).

6.5 Junior Minister Bell advised that a number of Ministers would be unavailable on Monday 12 November and Tuesday 13 November. Consequently, the SDLP agreed to notify the Business Office of a revised choice of motion for Monday 12 November, in view of the unavailability of the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment.

6.6 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each debate, with the usual speaking times.

6.7 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 6 November. Under the system of allocation, the selection lay with the DUP.  The party undertook to notify the Business Office of its topic, having regard to the availability of Ministers.

The following topic was subsequently notified:

  • ‘Special Needs provision in Taughmonagh’ (Mr J Spratt).

6.8 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.

7. Any other business          

7.1 There was no other business. 

8. Date and Time of next meeting

8.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 6 November 2012 in Room 106.

The Chairperson brought the meeting to a close at 12.40pm.

Mr Speaker
Chairperson

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us