Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 22 May 2012
Venue: Room 106, Parliament Buildings
1.1 An apology was noted from the Speaker.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on 15 May 2012
2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 15 May were agreed and signed by the Acting Chairperson.
3. Matters arising
3.1 The Acting Chairperson advised Members that, with reference to paragraph 6.2 of the minutes, statistics on withdrawn questions would be available at the next meeting.
4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 28 May 2012
4.1 Members noted that no additional Executive Business had been scheduled.
4.2 Members noted that the text of the motion on the Committee for Social Development’s Report on Fuel Poverty was now shown on the Order Paper.
Private Members’ Business
4.3 Members noted that business was as previously agreed.
4.4 Junior Minister Anderson confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available.
4.5 The draft Order Papers were agreed.
5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 11 June 2012
5.1 The Acting Chairperson reminded Members that there were no plans for plenary sittings in the week commencing 4 June.
5.2 Members noted that the following Executive Business was scheduled for Monday 11 June:
- Motion: Draft Goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) (Exemption) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012;
- Motion: Social Security Benefits Up-rating Order (Northern Ireland) 2012; and
- Question Time to the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development and to the Minister of Education.
5.3 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister for Employment and Learning, and to the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment, no further Executive Business was scheduled for Tuesday 12 June.
5.4 Members agreed to schedule a motion from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment on the report on its Inquiry into Developing the Northern Ireland Economy through Innovation, Research and Development for Monday 11 June, with the usual timings.
Private Members’ Business
5.5 Members agreed to schedule one Private Members’ motion on Monday 11 June and two on Tuesday 12 June
The following All Party motion was proposed and scheduled for Tuesday 12 June:
- ‘The Arms Trade Treaty’ (Mr C McDevitt, Mr S Agnew, Ms J McCann, Mr J Wells, Mr J McCallister, Mr C Lyttle).
Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the remaining selections lay with the DUP and Alliance.
The following motion was proposed and scheduled for Monday 11 June:
- ‘Review of Sentencing for the Murder of PSNI Officers’ (Mr J Craig [R], Mr P Givan, Lord Morrow, Mr S Anderson, Mr S Moutray).
Alliance deferred its selection for Tuesday 12 June and undertook to inform the Clerk as soon as possible. The party subsequently selected the motion ‘Mixed Housing’ (Mrs J Cochrane, Ms A Lo, Mr C Lyttle).
5.6 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for the debates, with the usual speaking times.
5.7 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 12 June 2012 and the selection lay with the DUP. The following adjournment topic was scheduled:
- ‘The proposed closure of Her Majesty’s Prison, Magilligan’ (Mr G Robinson).
5.8 Junior Minister Anderson confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond.
5.9 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.
6. Any other business
6.1 There was no other business.
7. Date and Time of next meeting
7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 29 May 2012 in Room 106.
The Acting Chairperson brought the meeting to a close at 12.41pm.
Mr William Hay