Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 21 May 2013

Venue: Room 106, Parliament Buildings

Apologies

1.1 There were no apologies.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 14 May 2013

2.1 The minutes were agreed and signed by the Speaker.

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.

4. Finalisation of the Order Paper for the plenary meeting on Tuesday 28 May

Executive Business

4.1 Members noted that a statement from the Minister of Finance and Personnel on the NSMC meeting in Special EU Programmes sectoral format was scheduled for Tuesday 28 May, immediately after Question Time, along with the Executive business agreed previously.

Committee Business

4.2 Members agreed to schedule a motion from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety to extend the Committee Stage of the Tobacco Retailers Bill, on Tuesday 28 May.

Private Members' Business

4.3 Having deferred its choice of an adjournment topic at the last meeting, the DUP selected the following topic for Tuesday 28 May:

• 'Post-Primary Education in East Belfast' (Mr R Newton)

Members agreed to schedule the adjournment topic.

4.4 Members noted that there were no other changes to the Private Members' business previously agreed.

4.5 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the business selected.

4.6 The draft Order Paper was agreed.

5. Provisional arrangements for the plenary meetings in week commencing 3 June 2013

Executive Business

5.1 Members noted that Question Time to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment was scheduled for Monday 3 June 2013.

5.2 Members noted that in addition to Question Time to the Minister for Employment and Learning, and the Minister of the Environment, a motion to approve the draft Pollution Prevention and Control (Industrial Emissions) Regulations was also scheduled for Tuesday 4 June.

Committee Business

5.2 Members noted that no Committee business had been requested for either day.

Private Members' Business

5.3 Members agreed to schedule the Final Stage of the Civil Service (Special Advisers) Bill for Monday 3 June; and agreed to schedule no further Private Members' business on that day, noting that the position could be reviewed at the next meeting of the Business Committee.

5.4 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members' motions on Tuesday 4 June. Under the system of allocation, the selections lay with Sinn Féin and the DUP. The following motions were selected:

• 'Northern Amateur Football League's Primacy Rule' (Mr C Ó hOisín, Ms R McCorley, Mr O McMullan); and
• 'Access to the Equal Pay Settlement for PSNI and NIO Staff' (Mr I McCrea, Mr P Weir).

5.5 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each motion, with the usual speaking times.

5.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 4 June. Under the system of allocation, the selection lay with the UUP. The following topic was selected:

• 'Future of Dundonald High School' (Mr M Copeland).

5.7 Junior Minister Bell advised that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the selected plenary business.

5.8 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.

6. Any other business

6.1 The Speaker referred members to a letter from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister requesting an exchange of Question Time slots on Monday 17 June with the Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety on Monday 10 June. Members also noted that the Minister of Finance and Personnel was content for the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister to take the first slot for Question Time on Monday 10 June.

6.2 The Speaker referred members to a letter from the Minister for Regional Development requesting an exchange of Question Time slots on Tuesday 11 June, with the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development on Tuesday 18 June.

6.3 Members noted that all the Ministers affected were content with the proposed arrangements, and agreed to both requests.

6.4 Members noted that the Business Committee would be moving towards the use of Electronic Committee Packs following the summer recess.

7. Date and Time of next meeting

7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 28 May 2013 in Room 106.

The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.54pm.

The Speaker
Chairperson

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us