Minutes of Proceedings
Date: 19 June 2012
Venue: Room 106, Parliament Buildings
1.1 There were no apologies. The Speaker welcomed Ms Caitríona Ruane to the Business Committee, and Ms Jennifer McCann in her new role as junior Minister.
2. Minutes of the meeting held on 12 June 2012
2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 12 June were agreed and signed by the Speaker.
3. Matters arising
3.1 There were no matters arising.
4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 25 June 2012
4.1 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business scheduled at the previous meeting, the following business had been scheduled for Monday 25 June:
- Motion to suspend Standing Orders 10(2) to 10(4);
- Second Stage: Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse Bill;
- Second Stage: Budget (No.2) Bill;
- Statement from the Minister of Education on “Capital Investment: The Next Steps”.
4.2 Members noted that further Executive statements were expected on Monday 25 June, and the possibility that two further Bills might be introduced, subject to the necessary clearances from the Speaker.
4.3 The Speaker reminded Members that the scheduling of the Second Stage of the Budget (No.2) Bill on Monday 25 June would be subject to the Committee for Finance and Personnel agreeing accelerated passage at its meeting on Wednesday 20 June. If accelerated passage were not to be agreed, the Second Stage could not take place until Tuesday 26 June.
4.4 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business scheduled at the previous meeting, the Consideration Stage of the Budget (No.2) Bill had been scheduled on Tuesday 26 June, again subject to accelerated passage being granted. Whips were asked to note that, as the Supply Resolutions were agreed by the Assembly on Monday 18 June, there would be extremely limited scope for amendments to the Bill at Consideration Stage.
4.5 Members also noted that the motion to approve the draft Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (Certification and Identification) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 had been postponed until Monday 2 July to allow the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development time for further consideration.
4.6 Members noted that due to the pressure of Executive business on Monday 25 June, the joint motion from the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure and the Committee for the Environment on Archaeological Artefacts had been postponed until Monday 2 July. Members further noted that the motion from the Assembly and Executive Review Committee on its Review of the Number of Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly had been postponed until Tuesday 26 June.
4.7 As well as the Committee Business already agreed for Tuesday 26 June, members agreed to schedule a Prayer of Annulment from the Committee for Regional Development, relating to the Penalty Charges (Prescribed Amounts) (Amendments) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012.
Private Members’ Business
4.8 There was no change to the Private Members’ business agreed previously.
4.9 Junior Minister McCann confirmed the availability of all relevant Ministers.
4.10 The draft Order Papers were agreed, pending confirmation of the position on accelerated passage for the Budget (No.2) Bill following the meeting referred to at paragraph 4.3. However, it was also agreed that the Order Papers should not be distributed until the position was clear, and that, if amendments were required, agreement could be sought individually from Whips.
5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 02 July 2012
5.1 In addition to Question Time to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure, members noted that the following Executive business had been scheduled for Monday 2 July:
- Statement from the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment on the Framework 7 European Union Programme for Research and Innovation;
- Further Consideration Stage Budget (No.2) Bill (subject to Consideration Stage taking place on Tuesday 26 June);
- Motion to approve the draft Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (Certification and Identification) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012;
- Motion to approve the Jobseeker’s Allowance (Work Experience) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012; and
- Legislative Consent Motion on the Local Government Finance Bill.
5.2 In addition to Question Time to the Minister of Education, the Minister for Employment and Learning, and the Assembly Commission, members noted that the following Executive business had been scheduled for Tuesday 3 July:
- Second Stage of the Criminal Justice Bill (subject to its introduction on Monday 25 June);
- Final Stage of the Budget (No.2) Bill (subject to all previous stages having taken place); and
- Motion to approve the draft Labour Relations Agency Arbitration Scheme (Jurisdiction) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.
5.3 Members agreed to reschedule the joint motion on Archaeological Artefacts from the Committee for Culture, Arts and Leisure and the Committee for the Environment to Monday 2 July.
5.4 Members agreed to schedule a motion from the Committee for Justice on its Report on the Inquiry into Criminal Justice Services available to victims and witnesses of crime in Northern Ireland, on Tuesday 3 July.
5.5 Members agreed the usual timings for both motions.
Private Members’ Business
5.6 Members agreed not to schedule any Private Members’ business on Monday 2 July or Tuesday 3 July.
5.7 The provisional Order Papers were agreed, pending clarification regarding the Budget (No.2) Bill. Members also agreed that the Provisional Order Papers should not be released until the draft Order Papers for plenary business in the week commencing 25 June had been finalised.
6. Any other business
6.1 The Speaker referred members to a letter from the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure requesting an exchange of her Question Time slot on 2 July with the Minister of Education on 3 July. Members approved the exchange.
6.2 The Speaker advised that he had appointed Ms Caitríona Ruane to replace Ms Jennifer McCann as one of the acting chairpersons of the committee in his absence.
6.3 The Speaker informed members that he would be absent on official business for the next meeting and that it would be the turn of Ms Ruane to act as chairperson.
7. Date and Time of next meeting
7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 26 June 2012 in Room 106.
The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.43pm.