Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 08 May 2012

Venue: Room 106

1. Apologies

1.1 There were no apologies.  

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 1 May 2012

2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 1 May were agreed and signed by the Speaker.  

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.

4. Finalisation of Order Papers for plenary meetings in week commencing 14 May 2012

Executive Business

4.1 Members noted that in addition to business scheduled previously, a statement from the Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (Health and Social Care Shared Services) and a statement from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister (NSMC Meeting in Institutional Format) had been scheduled for Monday 14 May.  

4.2 Members noted that in addition to business scheduled previously, statements from the Minister for Regional Development and the Minister of the Environment on the NSMC Meeting in Transport Sectoral Format had been scheduled for Tuesday 15 May.

Committee Business

4.3 In addition to business scheduled previously, members agreed to schedule a motion from the Committee for Finance and Personnel to extend the Committee Stage of the Superannuation Bill for Monday 14 May.  

4.4 Members also agreed to a request from the Chairperson of the Committee for Employment and Learning that the total time for the debate on the ‘Transfer of DEL Functions’, scheduled for Tuesday 15 May, should be increased to 2 hours 30 minutes; and that the speaking time for contributions to the debate should be increased from 5 to 7 minutes.

Private Members’ Business

4.5 Members agreed a proposed change to the DUP motion previously scheduled for Monday 14 May, and scheduled a motion on ‘Agri-Crime’ in its place.    

4.6 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available.

4.7 The Order Papers were agreed.

5. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 21 May 2012

Executive Business

5.1 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister of the Environment and the Minister of Finance and Personnel on Monday 21 May, no further Executive business had been scheduled.   

5.2 Members noted that, apart from Question Time to the Minister for Social Development and the Minister of Justice, no further Executive business had been scheduled on Tuesday 22 May.

Committee Business

5.3 Members noted that no Committee business had been requested.

Private Members’ Business

5.4 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ motions on Monday 21 May and two on Tuesday 22 May 2012.

Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with Sinn Féin, DUP, SDLP and Sinn Féin.  Junior Minister Bell advised the committee that the DETI and DHSSPS Ministers would be unavailable on both days.

The following motions were scheduled for Monday 21 May:

  • ‘Reassessment of People in Receipt of Incapacity Benefit’ (Mr F McCann, Mr A Maskey, Mr M Brady); and
  • ‘Prison Service Archived Material’ (Miss M McIlveen, Mr P Weir, Mr P Givan, Lord Morrow).

The following motion was scheduled for Tuesday 22 May:

  • ‘Foras na Gaeilge Proposed Funding Model’ (Mr D Bradley, Mrs K McKevitt, Mr P McGlone).

As the unavailability of Ministers impacted on Sinn Féin’s choice of motion, the party undertook to notify the clerk of its revised selection as soon as possible after the meeting.  [Note: the following motion was duly notified – ‘Under-Occupation Penalty’ (Mr F McCann, Mr A Maskey, Mr M Brady).]

5.5 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for the debates, with the usual speaking times.

5.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 22 May 2012. The selection lay with Sinn Féin but, as the unavailability of Ministers again impacted the choice of topic, the party undertook to notify the clerk of its revised selection as soon as possible after the meeting.

5.7 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all other relevant Ministers were available to respond.

5.8 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.

5.9 Mr Ramsey drew members’ attention to a number of all-party motions on health related issues, and it was agreed to consider scheduling one of these as business for the week commencing 28 May 2012.

6. Request to change Question Time slot          

6.1 The Speaker referred Members to a letter from the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister requesting an exchange of the Question Time slot on 28 May with the Minister Culture, Arts and Leisure on 29 May. Members approved the exchange.

7. Any other business          

7.1 There was no other business.

8. Date and Time of next meeting

8.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 15 May 2012 in Room 106.

The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 12.50pm.

Mr William Hay
Speaker

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us