Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: 06 September 2011

Venue: Room 106

1. Introduction and Apologies

1.1 Ms McCann advised members that she had been nominated by the Speaker to act as Chairperson in his absence, and noted apologies from Junior Minister Anderson and Junior Minister Bell.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on 27 June 2011

2.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 27 June were agreed and signed by the Acting Chairperson.

3. Matters arising

3.1 With reference to paragraph 3.2 of the minutes, members noted that the Speaker will update the Committee on any developments at next week’s meeting. Members agreed to receive a further update on late responses to written questions at the Halloween recess.

4. Request to exchange OFMDFM Question Time slot

4.1 Members noted that a letter from the First Minister and deputy First Minister regarding a request to swap the OFMDFM and Regional Development Question Time slots on 12 and 20 September had been circulated to Whips just before summer recess.

4.2 Members also agreed to the request and noted that the names selected in the original ballot for OFMDFM Questions would be rolled forward to the new date.

5. Request to exchange DETI Question Time slots

5.1 Members noted a request from Minister Foster seeking agreement to change two DETI Question Time slots in October/November as she will be abroad on official business. Members agreed to the request.

6. Finalisation of Order Papers for Week Commencing 12 September 2011

Executive Business

6.1 In addition to Question Time to the Minister for Regional Development and the Minister for Employment and Learning, members noted that a statement on the NSMC Meeting in Trade and Business Development Sectoral Format was scheduled for Monday 12 September.

6.2 Members noted that, in addition to Question Time to the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment and the Minister of the Environment on Tuesday 13 September, the following statements had also been scheduled: NSMC Meeting in Language Body Sectoral Format; NSMC Meeting in Inland Waterways Sectoral Format; and the Access to Justice Review.

6.3 Mr Rogers advised members that a statement from the Minister for Regional Development was expected on Tuesday 13 September.

Committee Business

6.4 Members agreed to schedule a Sinn Féin motion to replace members on three Committees on Monday 12 September.

Private Members’ Business

6.5 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ Motions on Monday 12 September and one on Tuesday 13 September.

Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with the DUP, Alliance and the UUP.

The following motions were proposed:

  • ‘Londonderry Railway Line’ (G Campbell, A McQuillan)
  • ‘Green Economy’ (Ms A Lo, C Lyttle, T Lunn)
  • ‘Part-Time Reserve Gratuity Scheme Security Breach’ (R Hussey, B McCrea, M Copeland)

6.6 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for the debates, with the usual speaking times.

6.7 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 13 September. Under the system for allocating Adjournment Debates, the selection lay with the SDLP.

The SDLP selected the following topic:

  • Proposals to close Belfast City Hospital’s Accident and Emergency Unit.

Members agreed to schedule the topic as the Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 13 September.

6.8 Mr Rogers confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the Private Members’ motions and the Adjournment Debate.

7. Provisional arrangements for Plenary meetings in week commencing 19 September 2011

Executive Business

7.1 Members noted that, aside from Question Time to the Minister of Finance and Personnel and the Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, no further Executive Business had been scheduled.

7.2 Members further noted that, aside from Question Time to the Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Minister of Justice, no further Executive Business had been scheduled.

Committee Business

7.3 There was no Committee business requested for Monday 19 September or Tuesday 20 September.

Private Members’ Business

7.4 Members agreed to schedule two Private Members’ Motions on Monday 19 September and two on Tuesday 20 September. In the event that additional Executive business emerged, the position would be reviewed at the next meeting.

Under the system of allocation for Private Members’ motions the selections lay with the DUP, Sinn Féin, the SDLP and the DUP.

The following motions were proposed:

  • ‘Fuel Poverty’ (D McIlveen, P Frew)
  • ‘Restoration of Confidence in the Office of the Police Ombudsman’

(R McCartney, Ms J McCann, G Kelly)

  • ‘Newly Qualified Teachers’ (J Craig, M Storey, Mrs B Hale)

7.5 The SDLP deferred its selection, and undertook to inform the Clerk as soon as possible. Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for the debates, with the usual speaking times.

7.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 20 September. Under the system for allocating Adjournment Debates, the selection lay with the DUP.

The DUP deferred its selection, and undertook to inform the Clerk as soon as possible.

7.7 Mr Rogers confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the agreed Private Members’ motions.

8. Continuation of Plenary Sittings over Lunchtime on Tuesdays

8.1 Members were reminded that this matter was discussed at the meeting on 21 June and that Whips had undertaken to consult party colleagues about whether they still find the lunchtime suspension helpful. Members agreed to defer a final decision on the issue until next week, and to ask party colleagues for their views.

9. Any Other Business

9.1 Members noted that an updated version of the ‘Speaker’s Rulings’ booklet was circulated to all parties, and is also available on Assist.

10. Date and Time of next meeting

10.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 13 September 2011 in Room 106.

The Acting Chairperson brought the meeting to a close at 12.40pm.

Mr William Hay 
Speaker

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us