Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 04 June 2013

Venue: Room 106

1. Apologies

1.1 There were apologies from Lord Morrow, Mr Robin Swann and Mr Stewart Dickson. Speaker welcomed Mr Danny Kinahan as the UUP substitute, and Mr Kieran McCarthy as the Alliance substitute.

2. Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 28 May 2013

2.1 The minutes were agreed and signed by the Speaker.

3. Matters arising

3.1 There were no matters arising.  

4. Finalisation of the Order Papers for the plenary meetings in week commencing 10 June

Executive Business

4.1 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business previously agreed, a statement by the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development on the NSMC meeting in Aquaculture and Marine sectoral format was scheduled for Monday 10 June. Members noted that, due to the additional business, an Executive motion to suspend Standing Orders 10(2) to 10(4) was also now scheduled for that day. 

4.2 Members noted that, in addition to the Executive Business previously agreed for Tuesday 11 June, a statement by the Minister of Education regarding ‘Putting Pupils First: Reforming the Common Funding Scheme’, was also scheduled for that day.

Committee Business

4.3 Members noted that there was no Committee Business.

Private Members’ Business  

4.4 Members agreed to schedule the presentation of a public petition on Tuesday 11 June from Mr Jim Wells on the Campaign for the Meningitis B vaccine to be made available to Northern Ireland.  

4.5 There was no change to the Private Members’ business previously scheduled for Monday 10 June and Tuesday 11 June.

4.6 Junior Minister Bell confirmed that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the business selected.

4.7 The draft Order Papers were agreed.

5. Provisional arrangements for the plenary meetings in week commencing 17June 2013

Executive Business

5.1 In addition to Question Time to the Minister of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, and the Minister for Social Development, members noted that the Consideration Stage of the Budget (No.2) Bill and a Legislative Consent Motion on the Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Bill were scheduled for Monday 17 June.

5.2 In addition to Question Time to the Minister for Regional Development, the Minister of Culture, Arts and Leisure and the Assembly Commission, members noted that the Further Consideration Stage of the Budget (No.2) Bill was scheduled for Tuesday 18 June, along with a motion to approve the Statistics and Registration Services Act 2007 (Disclosure of Pupil Information) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013, and a motion to approve the Statistics and Registration Services Act 2007 (Disclosure of Higher Education Student Information) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013.

Committee Business

5.3 Members agreed to schedule a motion from the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety on an Integrated Endometriosis Service, on Monday 17 June, with the usual timings.

Private Members’ Business 

5.4 Members agreed to schedule one Private Members’ motion on Monday 17June, and two on Tuesday 18 June. Under the system of allocation, the selections lay with the UUP, Sinn Féin and the DUP. There was some discussion about whether parties might exchange slots on either day. The following motion was selected for Monday 17 June:

  • ‘Funding for Other Road Projects in Place of the A5 Western Transport Corridor’ (Mrs S Overend, Mr R Swann, Mr M Nesbitt).

The following motion was selected for Tuesday 18 June:

  • ‘Aid Package for Fishermen’ (Mr P Frew, Mr W Irwin, Mr T Clarke, Mr T Buchanan).

Sinn Féin selected ‘Broadband Provision in Rural Areas’ (Mr P Flanagan, Ms S Ramsey, Ms M McLauglin) for Tuesday 18 June. However, junior Minister Bell advised that the Minister of Enterprise, Trade and Investment would not be available to respond to the motion, on either day, and the party undertook to advise the Clerk of their selection following the meeting.

5.5 Members agreed that up to 1 hour 30 minutes should be allocated for each motion, with the usual speaking times.

5.6 Members agreed to schedule an Adjournment Debate on Tuesday 18 June. Under the system of allocation, the selection lay with the DUP. The following topic was selected:

  • ‘The future of the Dickson Plan in Craigavon’ (Mr S Moutray).

5.7 Junior Minister Bell advised that all relevant Ministers were available to respond to the selected plenary business.

5.8 The provisional Order Papers were agreed.

6. Any other business

6.1 The Speaker advised Members that he would not be available to Chair the Business Committee, or proceedings in the House, for the next two weeks, but that he would continue to deal with normal business. He further advised that Ms Ruane would chair the next meeting of the Business Committee (11 June), with Mr Weir chairing the meeting on 18 June.

6.2 The Speaker advised Members that a Freedom of Information request had been received which concerned the order of speaking.

7. Date and Time of next meeting

7.1 Members agreed to meet at approximately 12.30pm on Tuesday 11 June 2013 in Room 106.

The Speaker brought the meeting to a close at 1.06pm.

Ms Caitríona Ruane
Acting Chairperson

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us