Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 14 May 2013

Venue: Room 30

1.32 p.m. The meeting commenced in Open Session

1. Apologies

There are no apologies.

1.35 p.m. Mrs Dobson joined the meeting.

2. Chairperson’s Business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that the Minister has proposed to meet with the Committee to discuss the Hardship Scheme at 5.00 p.m. on Thursday 16 May 2013 in Parliament Buildings, following the Executive meeting.

1.40 p.m. Mr Milne and Mr McAleer joined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request that the Minister meets with the Committee on 16 May 2013 at 6.00 p.m. in Parliament Buildings.

1.55 p.m. Mr Buchanan and Mr McCarthy left the meeting.

1.58 p.m. Mr McAleer and Mr McMullan left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ask what measures they intend to put in place regarding the ongoing fodder crisis and whether they are considering putting in place a haulage grant similar to that in the Republic of Ireland.

3. Minutes of the meetings 7 May 2013

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meetings held on 7 May 2013.

2.00 p.m. Mr Milne left the meeting.

4. Matters Arising

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department dated 10 May 2013 regarding issues raised at the meeting on 23 April 2013.

Noted: The Committee noted the severe weather update from the Department.

Noted: The Committee noted the weekly update from the Department on Ash Dieback.

Noted: The Committee noted the monthly update from the Department on Schmallenberg Virus.

5. Committee Review on Tree Disease – Oral Briefing: The Landscape Institute 

The following representatives of The Landscape Institute joined the Committee meeting at 2.03 p.m.

Pete Mullan, Policy Officer

Alan Simson, Technical Group

The representatives briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

2.11 p.m. Mr Milne re-joined the meeting.

2.30 p.m. Mr McMullan re-joined the meeting.

2.32 p.m. Mr Irwin left the meeting.

2.34 p.m. Mr Buchanan re-joined the meeting.

2.47 p.m. Mr McAleer re-joined the meeting.

2.50 p.m. Mr Irwin re-joined the meeting.

 6. Oral Briefing – Rural Support

The following representatives from Rural Support joined the Committee meeting at 2.53 p.m

Marion McCracken, Chairperson
Ian Hull, Secretary and volunteer
Sam Campbell, Board Member
Jude McCann, Development Director

The representatives briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

2.55 p.m. Mr Milne left the meeting.

2.58 p.m. Mrs Dobson left the meeting.

3.01 p.m. Mr McCarthy re-joined the meeting.

3.27 p.m. Mr Irwin left the meeting.

3.30 p.m. Mr Clarke left the meeting.

3.34 p.m. Mr McAleer left the meeting.

3.35 p.m. Mr McMullan left the meeting.

Mr Swann declared an interest as a former board member of Rural Support.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to ascertain what future funding will be available for Rural Support.

 7. Pre-consultation on Foyle Area and Carlingford Area (Licensing of Fishing Engines) Regulations 2013

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Department should provide a written brief to the Committee on the outcome of the consultation.

8. SR 2013/117: The NI Poultry Health Assurance Scheme (Fees) (Amendment) Order (NI) 2013

Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered SR 2013/117: The NI Poultry Health Assurance Scheme (Fees) (amendment) Order (NI) 2013 and has no objections to the rule.

9. SR 2013/122: The Animals and Animal Products (Examination for Residues and Maximum Residue Limits) (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2013

Question put and agreed:

That the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered SR 2013/122: The Animals and Animal Products (Examination for Residues and Maximum Residue Limits) (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2013 and, subject to comment from the Examiner of Statutory Rules, has no objections to the rule.

10. Correspondence

Agreed: The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing with Farmers for Action on 28 May 2013 and NILGA on 18 June 2013.

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department dated 2 May 2013 regarding DARD Direct Offices.

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department of Justice dated 7 May 2013 advising that the Rural Crime Unit will be launched at the Balmoral Show on 16 May 2013.

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Livestock and Meat Commission dated 2 May 2013, inviting Committee Members to visit their stand at the Balmoral Show.

11. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to change an oral briefing to a written briefing on SBRI/Poultry Litter.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the draft Forward Work Programme.

3.56 p.m. Mrs Dobson re-joined the meeting.

3.57 p.m. Mr Byrne left the meeting.

12. AOB

There was no further business.

13. Date and time of the next meeting

Agreed: The next meeting of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development will take place on Thursday 16 May 2013 at

6.00 p.m. in Room 29, Parliament Buildings.

The meeting adjourned at 3.58 p.m.

Paul Frew, Chairperson, Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us