Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 13 November 2012

Venue: Room 30, Parliament Buildings

1.31 p.m. The meeting commenced in Closed Session

The following Members were present; Mr Paul Frew, Mr Joe Byrne, Mrs Jo-Anne Dobson, Mr Chris Hazzard, Mr William Irwin, Mr Declan McAleer and Mr Kieran McCarthy.

1. Review of Bovine Tuberculosis – Draft Committee Report

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Executive Summary for the Committee Report on the Review of Bovine Tuberculosis.

Agreed: The Committee considered previous amendments to paragraphs in the draft report and agreed 3, 4, 9, 19, 24, 25, 32, 33, 35, 43, 52, 54, 61, 62, 64, 69, 74, 78, 80, 81, 82, 95, 98, 104, 106, 110, 111, 112, 114, 115 and 125.

Agreed:The Committee agreed the Recommendations contained in the Committee Report.

Agreed:The Committee agreed the Committee Motion and agreed that one and a half hours should be allocated for the debate.

Agreed:The Committee agreed that an advance copy of the report should issue to the Department.

Agreed:The Committee agreed that the Chairperson could sign off the relevant extract from the minutes of today’s meeting so that it could be included in the Committee report.

Agreed:The Committee agreed that the report on the Review of Bovine Tuberculosis should be ordered to print.

1.53 p.m. The meeting moved into open session.

1.53 p.m. Mr Clarke joined the meeting.

2. Apologies

The apologies are noted above.

3. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed:The Committee agreed to meet in closed session on 20 November 2012 to discuss the forthcoming legislation on dog breeding establishments.

The Chairperson advised the Committee that he and the Deputy Chairperson had meet with a number of people on 8 November 2012 regarding the dog breeding establishments and greyhounds.

1.55 p.m. Mr Hazzard left the meeting.

1.56 p.m. Mr McCartney left the meeting.

4. Minutes of the meeting held on 6 November 2012

Agreed:The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting held on 6 November 2012.

5. Matters arising

Noted:The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister on Fishing Opportunities 2013. The Chairperson advised that an oral briefing from the department on this issue has been scheduled for 27 November 2012. The Committee also agreed to write to the Minister to request that it is fully updated on any developments.

Noted:The Committee noted the correspondence from the Minister regarding the Foyle Association of Salmon and Trout Anglers.

Agreed:The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department on issues raised at the Committee meeting on 25 September 2012 and agreed to write to seek clarification on European Priorities 2012-13 implementation plan. 

Agreed:The Committee noted the correspondence from the department on issues raised at the Committee meeting on 9 October 2012. The Committee agreed to write to the department to seek a copy of the report by the HQ Consultative Forum in relation to the relocation of DARD HQ and to enquire why a business case is being only being developed now for the relocation.

Agreed:The Committee agreed to schedule a briefing from the department on Lay Testing for January 2013.

Noted:The Committee noted the correspondence from Diane Dodds regarding the EU legislation for roadworthiness tests for tractors and trailers.

6. Food Supply Chain

Mr Iain Mansfield, Assistant Director, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills joined the meeting at 2.05 p.m.

Mr Mansfield briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

2.14 p.m. Mr Buchanan joined the meeting.

2.25 p.m. Mrs Dobson left the meeting.

2.27 p.m. Mr Irwin left the meeting.

2.28 p.m. Mr Swann joined the meeting.

2.37 p.m. Mr Hazzard returned.

Agreed:The Committee agreed to request the membership of the Westminster committee being established to scrutinise the Groceries Code Adjudicator Bill when it becomes publicly available.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to move the presentation from the Ulster Farmers’ Union to the end of the meeting.

7. Written Brief DARD SL1: Amendment to Cattle ID Registration and Movement Legislation

2.50 p.m. Mr Byrne and Mr Clarke left the meeting.

Agreed:The Committee agreed that the SL1: Amendment to Cattle ID Registration and Movement Legislation should move to the next

legislative stage.

8. Consultation outcome: Statutory Biosecurity Guidance for Brucellosis

Agreed:The Committee agreed that the Department should print the statutory biosecurity guidance for brucellosis and distribute to herd-keepers.

2.52 p.m. Mr Hazzard left the meeting.

2.52 p.m. Mrs Dobson rejoined the meeting.

9. SR 2012/400: The Plant Health (Wood and Bark) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Question put and agreed;

That the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development has considered the Plant Health (Wood and Bark) (amendment) Order (NI) 2012 and, subject to comment from the Examiner of Statutory Rules, has no objection to the laying of the Rule.

10.  Correspondence

Noted:The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department on the Rural Development Programme 2014-2020 and noted that a presentation will be made to the Committee early 2013.

Agreed:The Committee agreed to forward correspondence from

Mr N Stephens on the Strangford Lough Revised Restoration Plan to the Department for comment.

Noted:The Committee noted the invitation from the NI Rural Valuers’ Association to a briefing on 21 November 2012.

Noted:The Committee noted the invitation from the European Parliament to a conference entitled “The Future of EU Funding in NI”.

Agreed:The Committee noted the correspondence from Mr P McPolin requesting a meeting to discuss agricultural issues. The Committee agreed to write to Mr McPolin to seek clarification on who he represents and request that he lists the issues he wishes to discuss with the Committee.

11. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed to meet on over lunchtime on 4 December to discuss forthcoming priorities for the next session.

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

12. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to request a briefing from the department on the Central Investigation Service.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider a draft letter to the department of Business, Innovation and Skills expressing concerns it has with the forthcoming Groceries Code Adjudicator Bill.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the department to seek clarification on the guidelines and enforcement procedures relating to botulism.

3.04 p.m. Mr Byrne and Mr Hazzard rejoined the meeting.

3.07 p.m. Mr Swann left the meeting.

The following representatives from the Ulster Farmers Union (UFU) joined the meeting at 3.10 p.m.

Harry Sinclair, UFU President

Clarke Black, UFU Chief Executive

Wesley Ashton, UFU Policy Director

The representatives briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Mrs Dobson declared an interest as a beef and cereal farmer.

3.39 p.m. Mr Irwin rejoined the meeting.

3.59 p.m. Mr Byrne left the meeting.

4.01 p.m. Mr Byrne rejoined the meeting.

1. Date and time of the next meeting

Agreed: The next meeting of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development will take place on Thursday 15 November 2012 at

1.30 p.m. in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

The meeting adjourned at 4.02 p.m.

Paul Frew, Chairperson, Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us