Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: 11 December 2012

Venue: Room 30, Parliament Buildings

1.34 p.m.        The meeting commenced in Open Session

1. Oral Briefing DARD: The Dog Breeding Establishments Regulations (NI) 2013

The following Departmental officials joined the meeting at 1.35 p.m. 

Kate Davey, Principal Officer

Andrew Kell, Deputy Principal Officer

The officials briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

1.37 p.m. Mr Irwin joined the meeting.

1.55 p.m. Mr Hazzard left the meeting.

1.56 p.m. Mr Kinahan left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that it was content with the merits of the policy as outlined by officials.

2. SL1: The Guard Dog Regulations (NI) 2013

The same Departmental officials briefed the Committee on the Guard Dog

Regulations and this was followed by a question and answer session.

Agreed:          The Committee agreed that it was content with the merits of the policy as outlined by officials.

2.06 p.m. Mr McAleer joined the meeting.

2.06 p.m. Mr McMullan left the meeting.

3. Apologies

There were no apologies. 

4. Chairperson’s business

The Chairperson advised the Committee that a problem had recently occurred in the Department’s APHIS database system.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an update on the current status regarding the APHIS database.

Noted: The Committee noted the details of the meetings the Chairperson had with Premier Woodlands and Drumlins Wind Energy.

2.11 p.m. Mr Irwin left the meeting. 

5. Minutes of the meeting 4 December 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting held on 4 December 2012.

6. Matters arising

Noted: The Committee noted the weekly update from the Department in relation to Ash Dieback.

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Department regarding the estimated costs associated with the reinstatement of three buildings within the Stormont Estate as a result of a flooding incident in June 2012.

Agreed: The Committee noted the response from the Department regarding issues raised at the meetings of 25 September and 13 November 2012. It agreed to forward relevant information to Mr N Stephens on Strangford Lough Fishing Exclusion Zones.

Noted: The Committee noted the response from Minister Attwood regarding the European Commission proposals for vehicle roadworthiness testing.

7. Oral Briefing DARD: January Monitoring Round Proposals

The following Departmental officials joined the meeting at 2.15 p.m.

Graeme Wilkinson, Assistant Secretary

Jim McGuinness, Accountant

Gary Humphreys, Acting Deputy Principal

The officials briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

2.19 p.m. Mr Byrne left the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request that it provides more contextual information in future briefing papers on monitoring rounds.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to endorse the Department’s proposals to DFP for the January Monitoring Round Proposals.

2.37 p.m. The meeting was suspended.

2.42 p.m. The meeting resumed.

8. Oral Briefing DARD: EU Dairy Package

The following Departmental officials joined the meeting at 2.44 p.m.

Jill Garrett, Principal Officer

Daniel Glenn, Deputy Principal

The officials briefed the Committee and this was followed by a question and answer session.

2.52 p.m. Mr Kinahan rejoined the meeting.

2.56 p.m. Mr McAleer rejoined the meeting.

2.57 p.m. Mr McMullan rejoined the meeting.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request information on the Capital Grant Scheme in Scotland which dairy farmers can access.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Department provides a written analysis of responses upon completion of the consultation.  

3.04 p.m. Mr McCartney joined the meeting.

9. SL1: LFA Compensatory Allowances Regulations

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Regulations should progress to the next legislative stage.

10. SL1: CAP Support Schemes (Review of Decisions) (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Regulations should progress to the next legislative stage.

11. SL1: CAP Single Payments and Support Schemes (Cross Compliance) (Amendment) Regulations (NI) 2012

Mrs Dobson, Mr Kinahan and Mr McCarthy declared an interest.

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Regulations should progress to the next legislative stage.

3.11 p.m. Mr McAleer left the meeting.

12. SL1: Proposals to Relax the Standstill Regime and to Regulate the Activities as Dealers

Agreed: The Committee agreed that the Regulations should progress to the next legislative stage.

13. Written Brief DARD: Code of Practice for Dairy Cows, Pigs and Laying Hens

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request a copy of the responses to the consultation from stakeholders.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek clarification on non-compliance and prosecution for an offence.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request an update on the implementation of the EU Pig Regulations and to seek confirmation that other EU countries are equally complying and subject to the same level of enforcement.

3.20 p.m. Mr McAleer rejoined the meeting.

14. Written Brief DARD: Code of Practice for Searches Under the Diseases of Animals Order 1981

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to request a full list of consultees and a copy of all responses to the consultation.

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department to seek clarification on the powers of entry under the Order and what scrutiny will exist in exercising this power.

15. Correspondence

Noted: The Committee noted the correspondence from the Committee for Enterprise, Trade and Investment regarding its planned visit to a farm in Spring 2013.

Agreed: The Committee noted the correspondence from Fusion Antibodies Ltd and MV Diagnostics regarding the benefits of the Enferplex Kit and agreed to forward them to AFBI for comment.

16. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: The Committee agreed the Forward Work Programme.

17. AOB

The Chairperson noted that the Grocery Code Adjudicator Bill is to have to power to impose fines added to the face of the Bill.

18. Date and time of the next  meeting

Agreed: The next meeting of the Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development will take place on Tuesday 15 January 2013 at

1.30 p.m. in Room 30, Parliament Buildings.

The meeting adjourned at 3.35 p.m.

Paul Frew, Chairperson, Committee for Agriculture and Rural Development

Find Your MLA

tools-map.png

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

tools-media.png

Read press releases, watch live and archived video

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

tools-social.png

Keep up to date with what’s happening at the Assem

Find out more

Contact information

tools-newsletter.png

Contact us for further information about our work.

Contact us