Clerk / Chief Executive and Secretariat Management Group Register of Interests
The Northern Ireland Assembly (the Assembly) requires the Clerk / Chief Executive (Clerk / CE) and Directors (AG1 and AG2 staff) to register their interests on the Assembly website.
The aim is to identify those activities and interests which the Clerk / CE and Directors consider they should volunteer into the public domain because those interests might be interpreted as carrying a risk of bias in the conduct of the person's Assembly duties. The Register therefore allows the Clerk / CE and Directors to volunteer interests they believe may create a risk of bias in the undertaking of their roles with the Assembly. In addition, all Members of the Secretariat Management Group (SMG) are required to declare any interests at each meeting. Interests are noted in minutes which are also published on the Assembly website.
Staff are expected to ensure their interests are current. However, the Register will be formally reviewed once a year.
The Register only lists interests staff consider to be relevant and protects their legitimate personal privacy.
What is a relevant interest?
- The key test is whether ‘an external observer, knowing the facts of the situation, would reasonably think the member of staff in question might be influenced by the interest’.
- The presumption is in favour of declaration. If the staff member is in doubt, she or he should register it.
- Examples of a relevant interest would include: interests in organisations with which the Assembly might do business; positions with charities and membership of professional organisations; public appointments and close family ties to people with such interests.
Lesley Hogg, Clerk / Chief Executive
Member of Board of Governors of Carrickfergus Grammar School
Tara Caul, Director of Legal and Governance Services
Member of the Law Society of Northern Ireland
Gareth McGrath, Director of Parliamentary Services
Trustee (company director) of the Northern Ireland Assembly and Business Trust
Executive Director of Politics Plus
Associate (related to my role as Executive Director of Politics Plus) of Global Partners Governance
Chair of the Board of Governors (company director) of Drumlins Integrated Primary School
Richard Stewart, Director of Corporate Services
- Honorary Treasurer of the Northern Ireland Assembly and Business Trust
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Stephen Welch, Director of Facilities / Keeper of the House
Non-Executive Director with British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM) Ltd, non-remunerated except T&S.
Certified member of BIFM
Fellow of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Chair of the Northern Ireland Facilities Management Professional Group of RICS
Committee member of the Ireland Region of BIFM