Christmas Comes to Parliament Buildings
Date: Wednesday, 07 December 2011
Reference: SO 12/11/12
Parliament Buildings was a sea of lights tonight (Wednesday 7 December) at the annual event to switch on the Assembly’s Christmas tree lights. The event, hosted by The Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Mr William Hay MLA, was dedicated to people who face the daily challenge of living with mental health issues.
The Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly, William Hay, MLA said:
“The lighting of the Assembly Christmas tree has become the official start of the Christmas season in Parliament Buildings. It is also an opportunity for us to acknowledge the important work and contribution of others throughout the rest of the year.
“This year’s event was an opportunity to acknowledge the challenge of those living with mental health issues andto recognise the vital work carried out by carers and others working in the sector.”
The Speaker of the Northern Ireland Assembly William Hay MLA, turns on the Christmas tree lights with the help of Cara McGerrigan.
Notes to Editors:
- Invitations were issued to groups from across Northern Ireland.
- David Babington, Chief Executive of Action Mental Health spoke at the event.
- MLAs from the Assembly Committee for Health along with the Assembly Commission attended.
- Guests enjoyed performances from The University of Ulster Choir and Chamber Choir.
- The Christmas tree has been sourced locally from Northern Ireland forests and will be recycled after use.