Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Venue: Room 21

10:33am The meeting commenced in open session.

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson's Business

None.

3. Draft Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 20th March 2013.

4. Correspondence

Members noted the correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding the Door 2 Door consultation responses.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding the Strategic Review of the Strangford Lough Ferry Service and agreed to write to the Department to request a briefing on the 2013/14 Strangford Ferry fare review.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding its Business Plan 2013-14.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding its Consultation document on changes to the Blue Badge Scheme in Northern Ireland and agreed to write to the Department to request a briefing when the analysis of responses is available.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding Public Awareness of and Attitudes towards Electric Cars.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department for Regional Development regarding RegioTaxi Gelderland in Arnhem and agreed to include the documentation in the Committee Inquiry.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from Translink regarding recent developments.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from Northern Ireland Water regarding PC13 Monitoring Plan, 2013-2015.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from IMTAC regarding improving the provision of Disability Equality and disability awareness training.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Office of First Minister and deputy First Minister regarding the Investing Activity Report for the Department for Regional Development.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Office of First Minister and deputy First Minister regarding its Consultation on the Draft Statutory Rules for the Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister regarding the Statement to the House on 9th April 2013 on the handling of the winter weather incident.

Agreed: The Committee noted a statement from the Minister regarding the A5 road project.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Cycling Tourists Club inviting Members to attend the Active Travel conference on 19th June 2013 and agreed that the Clerk liaise with their representative to discuss details and arrange the Committee's attendance.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding the review of the efficiency delivery programme and agreed that the Committee for Finance and Personnel take evidence from the Department for Regional Development on this issue.

Agreed: The Committee noted a press cutting regarding the use of bus lanes by taxis and agreed to write to the Department to ask for further information on the policy of taxis using bus lanes.

10:35am Mrs Kelly joined the meeting

10:36am Mr Lynch left the meeting

5. Institute of Civil Engineers Briefing

10:40am the following representatives joined the meeting

Jo Aston – Institute of Civil Engineers, NI Chairman

Kevin McShane – Institute of Civil Engineers, NI Vice-Chairman

Wendy Blundell – Institute of Civil Engineers, NI Director

The representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the work of the Institute of Civil Engineers. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

10:47am Mr McAleer joined the meeting

10:47am Mr Lynch re-joined the meeting

11:08am Mr Lynch left the meeting

11:09am The representatives left the meeting

6. Department for Regional Development Briefing: Regional Transportation Strategy for Northern Ireland

11:10am the following officials joined the meeting

Tom Reid, Director of Transportation Policy, Strategy and Legislation

Celia Chambers, Head of Regional Transportation Unit

The officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11:10am Mr McAleer left the meeting

11:19am The officials left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee would write to the Department asking how many of the targets recorded in the plan have been achieved in full, how many have been achieved in part and how many have not been achieved at all.

7. Department for Regional Development Briefing: Translink Sponsorship Division

11:20am the following official joined the meeting

Ciaran Doran, Director of Public Transport Performance Division

The official presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11:23am Mr McCrea joined the meeting

11:23am Mr Ó hOisín left the meeting

11:30am Mr Ó hOisín re-joined the meeting

11:30am Mr McAleer re-joined the meeting

11:42am Mr McNarry left the meeting

11:43am Mr Easton left the meeting

11:45am The official left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee would write to the Department asking what proportion of the salary for Translink's Chief Executive and Senior Officials is paid through public money and what proportion is paid through private enterprises of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company.

8. Belfast Taxis Community Interest Company Briefing: The Inquiry into Comprehensive Transport Delivery Structures

11:46am the following representatives joined the meeting

Brian Barr, Belfast Taxis Community Interest Company, Transport Manager

Stephen Savage, Belfast Taxis Community Interest Company, Manager

Eamonn O'Donnell, Belfast Taxis Community Interest Company, Director

The representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11:46am Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting

11:53am Mr Dallat joined the meeting

12:00pm Mrs Kelly left the meeting

12:02pm The representatives left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee would write to the Belfast Taxis Community Interest Company asking for a copy of their Business Plan when it has been completed.

9. Transport Salaried Staff Association Briefing: The Inquiry into Comprehensive Transport Delivery Structures

12:03pm the following representatives joined the meeting

Lorraine Ward, TSSA, Assistant General Secretary

Gerry Kennedy, TSSA, Executive Committee Member
Neil Davies, TSSA, Policy Advisor

Jeremy Saulters, TSSA, Committee Member

The representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12:04pm Mr Kelly re-joined the meeting

12:08pm Mr McAleer left the meeting

12:18pm Mr McAleer left the meeting

12:24pm Mr McAleer left the meeting

12:26pm The representatives left the meeting

10. Subordinate Legislation not subject to Assembly Procedure

Members noted:

The Cycle Routes (Amendment No 2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013 The Parking and Waiting Restrictions (Armagh) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013The Weighting Restrictions (Enniskillen) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013

11. SR 2013/41: The Curran Street and Obins Street, Portadown (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013

Agreed: That the Committee for Regional Development has considered SR 2013/41: The Curran Street and Obins Street, Portadown (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2013 and has no objection to the Rule.

12. Any Other Business

The Chairperson informed members that the Committee has a study visit to Cardiff to meet with representatives of Welsh Water on 17th/18th April 2013 and asked Members to indicate if they were attending the visit to allow travel and accommodation to be confirmed.

Agreed: The Committee would write to the Department to invite an official to accompany the Committee on its study visit to Cardiff.

Agreed: The Committee would write to NI Water to invite a representative to accompany the Committee on its study visit to Cardiff.

13. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 24th April 2013 at 10:30am in Room 21.

12:30pm The meeting was adjourned

...........................................................................................

Mr Jimmy Spratt MLA
Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development

24/04/13

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up