Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 09 May 2012

Venue: Room 21

10.31am The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

Agreed: Members noted that the Committee Clerk had met with Departmental Officials to discuss Ministerial and Departmental representation at the TEN-T stakeholder event scheduled to take place in Brussels on 14 May 2012 in Brussels. The Committee agreed to seek a copy of the Department’s position paper in relation to Northern Ireland’s position in the TEN-T programme. The Committee also agreed to write to the Minister for Regional Development to stress the importance of Ministerial and/or Departmental representation at the event.

3. Draft Minutes

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 2nd May 2012.

4. Correspondence

Members noted correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee received correspondence from the Department in respect of the Minister’s decision to proceed with proposed orders to increase parking tariffs and the parking penalty charge. The Committee agreed to seek legal advice in respect of the matter.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister in respect of his intention to make a statement to the Assembly on 15 May in relation to the outcome of the April North South Ministerial Council meeting.

10.42am Mrs Kelly joined the meeting

10.43am Mr Moutray joined the meeting

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Clerk to the Committee for Health, Social Services and Public Safety in respect of a briefing paper by Business in the Community, and agreed to forward it to the Minister for Regional Development.

The Committee correspondence from the Department in respect of letters from the public regarding un-adopted roads and sewers.

Agreed: Members noted correspondence from the Consumer Council in respect of fare increases by Translink. The Committee agreed to invite the Consumer Council to give evidence at its meeting on 16 May.

The Committee noted correspondence from a commercial estate agent in respect of farmers who may be affected by the A5 road works.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Guide Dogs organisation in respect of the Audio Visual Project Evaluation Report and agreed to invite them to give evidence at its meeting on 30 May.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for the Environment in relation to the Committee’s Inquiry on un-adopted roads in Northern Ireland and agreed to include it in the report.

5. Northern Ireland Water briefing:  Oral briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

10.54am The following Representatives joined the meeting:

Sara Venning – Director of Customer Service Delivery

Liam Mulholland – Head of Customer Service

Frank Stewart – Head of Developer Services

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed: It was agreed that the representatives would write to the Committee with information on developments which had come under the control of the National Assets Management Agency.

11.40am Mr McNarry left the meeting

11.41am Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting

11.42am Mr Dallat left the meeting

11.46am Mr Moutray left the meeting

11.47am Mr Moutray re-joined the meeting

11.52am Mr Hussey left the meeting

11.53am Mr McCrea joined the meeting

11.54am Mrs Kelly left the meeting

11.55am The Officials left the meeting

6. Construction Employers Federation Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

11.56am The following Representatives joined the meeting:

Nigel Lucas – Deputy Secretary

Conor Mulligan – Lagan Homes

Bryan Vaughan – Vaughan Developments

Archie Rowan – Micwall Developments

11.58am Mr Hussey re-joined the meeting

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.02pm Mrs Kelly re-joined the meeting

12.14pm The Representatives left the meeting

7. Departmental Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry

12.15pm The following Officials joined the meeting:

Andrew Murray – Director of Network Services

Francis Miskelly – PP0 Engineer

12.16pm Mr Ó’hOisín left the meeting

12.16pm Mr Ó’hOisín rejoined the meeting

12.17pm Mr Dallat re-joined the meeting

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

Agreed: It was agreed that the Officials would write to the Committee with information on developments which had come under the control of the National Assets Management Agency.

12.45pm The Officials left the meeting

9. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • The Road Races (Eagles Rock Hill Climb) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Road Races (Cairncastle Hill Climb) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Control of Traffic (Belfast City Centre) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places on Roads (Belfast City Centre) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places on Roads (Coaches) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

10. SL1: The B30 Newry Road, Crossmaglen (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

11. SL1: The Marine Highway, Carrickfergus (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

12. Forward Work Programme

Agreed: Members considered the draft forward work programme for May to June 2012 and agreed that the Committee office should make arrangements for the visits and briefings in the programme.

13. Any other business

Agreed: The Committee agreed to consider suitable times for visits to Lurgan/Portadown Railway Station and the Larne Harbour Railway Station.

14. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 16th May 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

12.52pm The meeting was adjourned

Mr Pat Doherty MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
16th May 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up