Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2011/2012

Date: Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.30am          The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

None.

3. Draft Minutes                     

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 28th March 2012.

4. Correspondence

Members noted correspondence received.

Agreed: The Committee received correspondence from the Committee for the Environment and agreed to keep the Committee apprised of the inquiry into un-adopted roads in Northern Ireland. The Committee further agreed to include the correspondence in the report.

Members noted correspondence from the Department in relation to queries raised at previous meetings regarding access to bus stations; the de-agentisation of Roads Service; and the E-car project.

The Committee noted correspondence between the Department and the Committee for the Environment in relation to the Progress Report on the Road Safety Strategy 2010-2020.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to the review of the Strangford Lough Ferry tariffs.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to Recommendation 16 of the PAC report into Procurement and Governance in NI Water and agreed to forward it to the Public Accounts Committee for comment.

Members noted a copy of Departmental speaking notes from the Transport Ireland Conference held on 28 March 2012 and a briefing note on the main agenda items from the Conference.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to consultations with councils on draft statutory rules.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Department in relation to the Strategic Road Improvement Programme.

The Committee noted correspondence from the Consumer Council in relation to its draft business case for consumer representation on water and sewerage services.

Agreed: The Committee considered two pieces of correspondence from members of the public in relation to on-going problems with un-adopted roads and agreed to include the correspondence in the Committee’s report. The Committee also agreed to forward the correspondence to the Department and NI Water for urgent comment.

5. Ministerial Briefing – Car Parking Issues

10.37am The following Officials joined the meeting

Danny Kennedy – Minister for Regional Development

David Millar – Head of Roads Service’s Lands and Legislation Unit

Simon Richardson – Acting Head of Engineering Policy and Parking Service

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.07am The Officials left the meeting

The Off-Street Parking (Amendment No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2011

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee was not content with the policy merits of these proposals.

The Penalty Charges (Prescribed Amounts) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that the Committee was not content with the policy merits of these proposals.

11.27am Mrs Kelly joined the meeting

11.27am Mr McNarry left the meeting

6. NILGA Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry 

11.27am The following Representatives joined the meeting:

Derek McCallan – Chief Executive NILGA

Claire Bradley – Policy Support Officer

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.37am Mr McNarry re-joined the meeting

11.50am The Representatives left the meeting

7. NHBC Briefing – Oral Briefing on Un-adopted Roads Inquiry 

11.51am The following Representative joined the meeting:

Mr David Little – Regional Director for Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man

11.53am Mr Moutray left the meeting

The Representative presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.24pm The Representative left the meeting

Agreed: Members agreed to invite Building Control NI to give oral evidence in respect of the Committee’s Inquiry. 

8. Departmental and Translink briefing:  Update on Translink Corporate and Business Plan 2012-2013

12.26pm Mr Moutray re-joined the meeting

12.26pm The following Official and Representative joined the meeting:

Ciaran Doran - Director - Public Transport Performance Division  

Philip O’Neill - Chief Operating Officer, Translink  

Members noted a copy of the Translink Corporate Plan for 2012-15

The Official and Representative presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

12.34pm Mr Byrne left the meeting

12.48pm Mr Dickson left the meeting

1.03pm Mr Dickson re-joined the meeting

1.03pm Mr Moutray left the meeting 

1.09pm The Official and Representative left the meeting

9. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • SL1 – The Waiting Restrictions (Lisburn) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1 – The Parking Places (Disabled Persons Vehicles) (Amendment No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1 – The Cycle Routes (Amendment No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • SL1 – The Road Races (North West 200) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

10. SL1: The Durham Street and Hamill Street - Killen Street (Stopping-Up) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the policy merits of these proposals.

11.  Statutory Rule: SR 2012/94 The Belfast International Airport (Control Over Land) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/94 The Belfast International Airport (Control Over Land) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

12.  Statutory Rule: SR 2012/101 The Grange Lodge, Antrim (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/101 The Grange Lodge, Antrim (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

13.  Statutory Rule: SR 2012/103 The Shore Road and Northwood Parade, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/103 The Shore Road and Northwood Parade, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

14.  Statutory Rule: SR 2012/104 The Loopland Court, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee for Regional Development considered Statutory Rule 2012/104 The Loopland Court, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012 and had no objection to the rule.

15. Any other business

The Chairperson updated Members on the travel arrangements for the Committee’s visit to Brussels.

16. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 2nd May 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21, Parliament Buildings.

1.16pm The meeting was adjourned  

Mr Pat Doherty MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
2nd May 2012

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up