Minutes of Proceedings

Session: 2012/2013

Date: Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Venue: Room 21, Parliament Buildings

10.34am The meeting commenced in public session

1. Apologies

As above.

2. Chairperson’s Business

Members welcomed Mr Declan McAleer MLA to the Committee.  Mr McAleer has replaced Mr Pat Doherty MP.

The Chairperson informed members that a copy of Mr McAleer’s Register of Interests were tabled for information.

The Chairperson informed members he met with the former commissioner for older people and a representative from Shop Mobility over the summer in relation to funding.

Agreed: That a briefing is scheduled from Shop Mobility.

3. Draft Minutes                

Agreed: The Committee agreed the minutes of the meeting of 1ST August 2012.           

4. Correspondence

Members noted the correspondence received.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Minister for Regional Development regarding Translink business case and agreed that the Chair and Deputy Chair seek a meeting with the Minister on the matter and that the Minister be called to an early meeting of the Committee.  The Committee further agreed that the Chief Executive, Translink/NITHC, be invited to the Committee. 

10.48am          Mrs Kelly left the meeting

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Committee for Finance and Personnel regarding 2013 Cross Border PEACE and INTERREG programmes and agreed to forward to the Department to indicate any applications they intend making to these programmes.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Central Committee Office regarding members’ attendance and agreed comments would be forward to the Central Committee Office.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding proposed pay award for train drivers and agreed that the Committee would write to the Department asking if the Translink pay deal has been implemented, when and the rate of the increase and for a breakdown of benefits paid to the Chief Operating Officer.

Agreed: The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding a press release.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding critical service tests on Translink vehicles.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding Equality Commission Report on the Cessation of Funding for Easibus Services in Bangor and Londonderry.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding differential / dual layered parking penalties.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding new parking enforcement and car park management contract.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding recent flooding incidences.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding parking places for electric vehicles.

Agreed:  The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding Department and arm length bodies at 2012 Olympics.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding Translink pay bands and memorandum of understanding.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding DRD Section 75 Annual Progress Report to the Equality Commission.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding sale of land at Ahogill, County Antrim.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding Draft UK Aviation Policy Framework - consultation workshop.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from Gerard Daye, public regarding bus transport in Mount Eagles, Lagmore.

Agreed:    The Committee noted correspondence from Translink regarding an information request.

Agreed:    The Committee noted correspondence from Belfast Healthy Cities regarding Health for all: Stronger Equity and Better Governance – lecture and agreed that the Deputy Chair represent the Committee.

Agreed:   The Committee noted correspondence from Bryson regarding an annual conference invitation.

Agreed:    The Committee noted correspondence from Translink regarding a proposed briefing on rail performance and investment.

Agreed:    The Committee noted correspondence from NI Greenways regarding investment in Belfast cycle lanes and agreed that briefings from NI Greenways and the Department be scheduled.

Agreed:    The Committee noted correspondence from Peter Sommerset regarding Translink.

Agreed:     The Committee noted correspondence from Subsidiarity regarding an invitation to register for the Subsidiarity Workshop Open Days 2012.

Agreed:     The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding the NIW Annual Report and Accounts 2011/12.

Agreed:      The Committee noted correspondence from the Department regarding the DRD Resource Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2012.

5. Departmental briefing: Successful Active Travel Projects

11.14am The following Officials joined the meeting:

Ciaran de Burca – Director of Transport Projects Division

Michael Deery – Transport Projects Division

David Strain – Transport Projects Division

The Officials presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.21am Mr McCrea joined the meeting

11.41am Mr Lynch left the meeting

11.44am The Officials left the meeting

6. Departmental Briefing:  Water and Sewerage Services (Amendment) Bill

11.44am The following Representatives joined the meeting:

John Mills – Director of Water Policy

Stephen Rusk – Water Policy Division

The Representatives presented to the Committee in respect of the above. Following the presentation, Members put questions.

11.46am Mr Lynch rejoined the meeting

11.46am  Mr McAleer left the meeting

11.55am  Mr McAleer rejoined the meeting

11.56am  The Officials left the meeting

7. Draft Report of the Inquiry into Unadopted Roads and Sewers

The Chairperson informed members that a copy of the draft report of the Committee’s Inquiry into Unadopted Roads and Sewers was included in the pack.

Agreed: The report is forwarded to the Minister for comment.

11.58am Mrs Kelly rejoined the meeting         

8. Subordinate legislation not subject to Assembly procedure

Members noted:

  • The Parking Places on Roads (Armagh) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Waiting Restrictions (Londonderry) (Amendment No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Waiting Restrictions (Dundonald) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places (Disabled Persons’ Vehicles) (Amendment No.5) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The On-Street Parking (Amendment No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places and Loading Bays on Roads (Londonderry) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking Places on Roads (Kilkeel) (No.2) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Roads (Speed Limit) (No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Waiting Restrictions (Dungannon) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Parking and Waiting Restrictions (Newtownards) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Cycle Routes (Amendment No.5) (Maghera) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Loading Bays on Roads (Amendment No.3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Cycle Routes (Amendment No.4) (Dundonald) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Waiting Restrictions (Springfield Road, Belfast) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012
  • The Waiting Restrictions (John Street, Castlederg) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012.

12.04pm Mr Dickson left the meeting

9. SL1 – The Tullynacross Road, Lisburn (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

10. SL1 – The C156 (Unnamed Road), Mograverty, Craigavon (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

11. SL1 – The Templemore Street, Belfast (Abandonment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2012

Agreed: The Committee agreed to write to the Department indicating that it is content with the merits of the policy proposals.

12. Forward work programme/any other business

Members noted a copy of the forward work programme.

13. Date of the next meeting

The next meeting of the Committee will be Wednesday 19th September 2012 at 10.30am in Room 21.

12.04pm The meeting was adjourned  

Mr Sean Lynch MLA
Deputy Chairperson, Committee for Regional Development
19/09/12

Find Your MLA

Locate your local MLA

Find MLA

News and Media Centre

Read press releases, watch live and archived video.

Find out more

Follow the Assembly

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Assembly.

Find out more

Subscribe

Enter your email address to keep up to date

Sign up